Garlic shop is now open

Hi Lizzie,

In the mixed half dozen description (http://www.pokolbinpurple.com.au/product/pokolbin-purple-garlic-half-kilo/) it mentions "from lingering and mellow Italian Red, to the sharp and spicy Pokolbin Purple" but then on this page (http://www.pokolbinpurple.com.au/product/italian-red-half-kilo/) the Italian Red half kilo is described as "A Spanish hardneck garlic with white outer skins and bright burgundy cloves. This variety has a hot and complex flavour that dissipates quickly." That sounds very different from 'lingering and mellow'!!

It's very similar to the Pokolbin Creole description on http://www.pokolbinpurple.com.au/product/pokolbincreole-half-kilo-2/ "A Creole hardneck garlic with white outer skins and bright burgundy cloves. This variety has a hot and complex flavour that dissipates quickly."

I do like garlic but am no expert on its flavour so is Italian Red more lingering and mellow or hot and complex?

And also can you please estimate how many bulbs would be in a half kilo? I'm tossing up between the half kilo and the full kilo. Although maybe actually I should ask instead what the box dimensions are because of the recommendation to store it on an open shelf.

:)

Thanks for pointing that out .... must sort it. The confusion is because I ended up growing varieties that were not what I was "supposed" to have been sold as seed stock - so when I set up the website, the blurb read for those varieties I was "supposed" to be growing.

The Italian Red is still hot (to those unused to garlic) but not as hot as the creole varieties (so, one would say mellow in comparison) with a lingering flavour.

There are approximately 14-16 bulbs per kilo with the Italian Red variety ... the Pokolbin Purple is a larger Turban, so less bulbs per kilo

The mixed will be available in around 4 weeks (so just before Christmas) as we are waiting for the Creoles to mature for harvest. They are around 2 weeks off - and then allow another 2 weeks to cure

Thanks for the explanations Lizzie. Great to chat with you this afternoon! So excited to be getting some of your garlic both for our own kitchen and as xmas gifts. :)

Thanks Lib ... and it is great to talk to other SSers in reality! Sorry if I chewed your ear off - I could talk garlic all day :D

Looking forward to sending your box - although will do so on Monday because we're having a bit of muggy weather here - even tho the breeze is keeping the garlic is great condition in the shed, I'd hate for it to spoil from being boxed up over the weekend in transit.

Not at all, it was great! And yes next week is totally fine, we have enough dodgy imported garlic in the house to tide us over til your splendid produce arrives. :)

Ah - tis you :D ... the Italian Purple is still available - and I have just opened the "Pokolbin Purple" so can send you a mixed if you wish ;)

Same as with Lib - if okay I'll send it Monday due to the current humidity and my desire not to subject it to any more time locked up in a box than necessary.

xx

Ah - tis you :D ... the Italian Purple is still available - and I have just opened the "Pokolbin Purple" so can send you a mixed if you wish ;)

Same as with Lib - if okay I'll send it Monday due to the current humidity and my desire not to subject it to any more time locked up in a box than necessary.

xx

Mixed would be great, thanks!
Monday is fine.
Looking forward to it

xx

Lizzie, if I buy one of garlic types, can you mix them with what you have instead? The mixed cart is not active, would love to have some to share with friends around Xmas (if you have enough time really) :eek:

For sure ... just put it in your comments. I'm not posting until Monday to ensure it stays fresh.

The two varieties currently available are very similar - both being from the Turban grouping - one is larger than the other, and the colours are a little dfferent ... whereas the "not yet ready" Creole is very different ... which is why I haven't opened the "mixed" option yet.

For sure ... just put it in your comments. I'm not posting until Monday to ensure it stays fresh.

The two varieties currently available are very similar - both being from the Turban grouping - one is larger than the other, and the colours are a little dfferent ... whereas the "not yet ready" Creole is very different ... which is why I haven't opened the "mixed" option yet.

Uh, ok...hmmm hmmmm... contemplating.... :d

Black garlic is great - but we won't be doing it in the short term. Really need a bakers oven to regulate temperature and humidity down to a fine detail.

Will be doing smoked - and just did some "blow my tastebuds away" dehydrated ...

:D waiting waiting waiting :D. Hubby was very disappointed when he had to buy garlic again this week. (we do at least buy Aussie garlic, but have no idea where it comes from)

received order today, fabulous and quick !

Nice touch with the little gift and the care for garlic list, even promoting to grow our own from these very bulbs.

Very generous of you Lizzie.
Well done!:)

Just as a teaser ... here's some of the cloves from this years' Creole harvest.

Full harvest will be this weekend - and available for sale three weeks later

xx

Attachments

• WP_20141210_003.jpg
    WP_20141210_003.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 30
Back