Garrett rejects Traveston Dam

FEDERAL Environment Minister Peter Garrett has rejected the proposed Traveston Crossing Dam project near Gympie, claiming the impact on threatened species would be "too great".

The minister held a media conference in Brisbane today at 12.45pm to announce his decision.

"After carefully considering all of the information put before me and advice from my department, it is very clear to me that the Traveston Crossing Dam project can not go ahead without unacceptable impacts on matters of national environmental significant," he said at the conference.

Continues below

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...utm_medium=seeding&utm_campaign=Story Seeding

interesting.

he does favour the science of it all, i must admit. he won't enter a decision until all the evidence is stacked and weighed, which i like.

he might turn out to be someone of serious credentials.

Everyone is a NIMBY. Even myself, as I don't want my area dug up for coal. But I'd happily have a nuclear power station next door if it ment no coal mining of Australia's best broadacre farm land.

But most of the country doesn't want nuclear power even if it's a thousand k's from them, and don't even mention the nuclear waste dump for flip sake?

The wind turbine farms now get protested. WTF..?? Apparently they drive people nuts, are noisy, and an eyesore? I suppose anyone who says those magnificent things are an eyesore ain't ever seen a coal mine?

I wonder if the last big dam Australia ever puts in, is now built? How would a Snowy scheme ever go ahead today? Or the Tasmania hydro scheme? Every little cross eyed purple du lizard that is threatened puts a stop to any dam. As Marg says, we now put in desalination plants, run by coal powered power stations, cause we don't want nuclear and don't want any more dams.

And we are headed for double the population in 40 years at current 2% growth rates?

Some big decissions coming up eh?

See ya's.

I agree TC. There is also no comeback on a project that may impact the Growling Grass Frog, no matter what its other benefits. No idea what the environmental impact is supposed to be here but it's an endemic problem for any big picture project and it's why we are very unlikely to ever see a Snowy or Tas Hydro scheme built again, even if it were technically possible. Let alone the airplay given to every small little NIMBY special interest group.

Desalination in Australia is just completely ridiculous.

we should go nuclear
it's the most environmentally friendly technology available

Pity it's so expensive then...

Yep, desal plant announced for Lytton on the Brisbane River and Marcoola on the Sunshine Coast.

Bribie Island earmarked for one in the future.
Marg

Everyone is a NIMBY. Even myself, as I don't want my area dug up for coal. But I'd happily have a nuclear power station next door if it ment no coal mining of Australia's best broadacre farm land.

But most of the country doesn't want nuclear power even if it's a thousand k's from them, and don't even mention the nuclear waste dump for flip sake?

The wind turbine farms now get protested. WTF..?? Apparently they drive people nuts, are noisy, and an eyesore? I suppose anyone who says those magnificent things are an eyesore ain't ever seen a coal mine?

I wonder if the last big dam Australia ever puts in, is now built? How would a Snowy scheme ever go ahead today? Or the Tasmania hydro scheme? Every little cross eyed purple du lizard that is threatened puts a stop to any dam. As Marg says, we now put in desalination plants, run by coal powered power stations, cause we don't want nuclear and don't want any more dams.

And we are headed for double the population in 40 years at current 2% growth rates?

See ya's.

Yep, who would have thought that a rare lungfish and a turtle that breeds out of its umh.....**** is the showstopper at the end of the day.

I was heading to that project, as we have been working for the government for over a year on it. :((In saying this, we did stop working around Jan)....It certainly did get drawn out.

Lets just say that we spent a considerable amount of money on the tender.

I wonder if it rears its head again down the track.

With regards to Power, there is a considerable amount of infrastructure planned for 'outback'. Current market projections (obtained from a major client in the power industry)indicates that a power station needs to be built nearly every year to keep the demand for SE Qld, and also divert power through the interconnector to feed northern NSW. I am looking at a CGS generated open cycle power station and it is good news to see that the technology is becoming greener and greener. The spanish have some great solar generated power stations and they are heading over to the lucky country for investment!! Who knows what next after that........NUCLEAR!

Cheers,

F

We have this , silly dam hieghtening project in canberra, the story as i know it is, due to canberra's growing population, the current ACT watersupply is not enough, The plan is to heighten the wall height another 30 meters, this was rejected a year later due to the historical listing, so then the new plan was to build another one in front of the existing one, thus flooding the original wall.

so now the budget set aside was , is now not enough mainly because its taken three years to get to this point, and of corse income increase , the project is too! expensive,

the stupid thin in all of this is the dam still sits at only 54% capacity now, so why build the wall heigher if we cant fill the one we have at the moment????
insane stuff!

But on the power thingy, in eourope, they are succesfully using turbine tecknolegy, but applying it under the ocean, they use a two part turbine, section 1 placed on the ocean floor , and the turbine section is placed on top of it, it then swings/turns using the currents, and has a planentry gear drive to reduce the speed as not to harm whales , and other marine animals, bugger for fishing line though.;)

The Queensland government has bought 14,000 hectares for half a billion dollars, that was either going to be flooded, or would have been water catchment area.

What happens to this land now?
Do the previous owners/sellers get to buy it back?
Was it bought above market prices?
Will prices take off now that the dam is off?
Will prices drop because the government is no longer a buyer?

See ya's.

Last edited:
Does Peter Garrett believe that the desalination plants are a better option from an overall environmental perspective?

nuclear is inevitable. they should be breaking this message now.

NIMBY's are against wind farms now. They are against new high voltage power lines. NIMBY's and greenies are against new dams. Can you just imagine the public protests over the announcement of nuclear power plants and the resultant waste dump in the middle of the continent?

It might get easier in a few years to convince the public that nuclear is good after electricity prices double and triple, and we have succesive power outs in the middle of January and February heatwave days due to lack of power infrastructure spending?

And then Australia is supposed to reduce carbon emissions, but we are left with coal as a power source, just as we are about to ramp up desalination?

Everything is nuts.

See ya's.

i say, put a great big dirty hole in Uluru or Mt Augustus and bury the nuclear waste underground in gigantic concrete bunkers - if they can put a new trainstation under perth without so much as a crack to old buildings, they can build a bunker in the desert.

3 big bunkers across the wasteland that is our gibson desert could solve all the issues.

sorry - but there's nothing out there. not even animals. it's more desolate than coober pedy.

The Queensland government has bought 14,000 hectares for half a billion dollars, that was either going to be flooded, or would have been water catchment area.

What happens to this land now?
Do the previous owners/sellers get to buy it back?
Was it bought above market prices?
Will prices take off now that the dam is off?
Will prices drop because the government is no longer a buyer?

See ya's.
I had quite a large property in the cedar creek at Mt Tamborine about 20 years ago,i knew from the start when i bought that property that there was a 50-50 chance that the property would be taken if the
Wolfdene Dam went ahead,the property had been on the market for 6 years,bought it for next to nothing,even if the Dam went ahead the QLD Government still would pay full replacement to relocate and buy in the same standard,and those properties were about 50% cheaper then the properties outside the dam area,afterall the people that bought those properties thought they were going to have water front $$$$ properties,after the dam was stoped,the value of the property that i bought went up 75 k overnight,the ones that thought they were buying waterfront went down in value,I think the same will happen up at Traveston Crossing Dam area,it's prime farming land,and the Qld Gov
will make money when they sell the land they have already aquired,
Labor don't care about costs it all public image:rolleyes:..imho willair..

Back