Gas bottles?

OK I'm tired of our massive power bills and am looking at going for gas.
We've been fortunate enough to have gas in previous properties but not, alas, our current PPOR. I'm looking at converting an open fireplace to a Jetmaster and using bottled gas cylinders for this, as well as adding a couple of other bayonets through the rest of the house. I've seen them in many home setups predominantly for cooking but I'm not sure how much I'd need?
Any gas experts who can assist most appreciated :)

You need a gas plumber to run the gas lines in from the spot where you're going to have the bottle and the regulator. If you are running a few heaters then the gas plumber will make a recommendation for size.

Then you have to decide on a gas supplier. Some swap bottles over when they run out ( you ring them when you switch to bottle #2). Others come every couple of weeks to top up a much larger bottle.

We've been fortunate enough to have gas in previous properties but not, alas, our current PPOR. I'm looking at converting an open fireplace to a Jetmaster and using bottled gas cylinders for this, as well as adding a couple of other bayonets through the rest of the house. I've seen them in many home setups predominantly for cooking but I'm not sure how much I'd need?

most open fireplaces dont use 240 V :)

ta
rolf

I haven't been using the gas heaters since our first child was born. I was a bit worried about dangerous fumes it may produce.

A couple of gas cylinders at the parents place last for ages, apparently in the big smoke there's no need for the cylinders, they run a line to your house ;)

Check first to see if there is natural gas in the street, if not LPG is the only option.
Then obtain a few quotes from the gas suppliers, from my experience that will make you think twice about renting cylinders. Advise the gas fitter to set up a system for 2 x 40kg bottles and change them yourself. Much, much cheaper.

i have an open fireplace and was thinking of putting a wood fire (there were some posted on here a while ago) or gas fireplace i too would be interest to know the cost as for a gas plumber i could rin hte line directly out the chimney area so shouldnt cost tooo much

how good are these gas fireplaces as my electric reverse cycle only warms up the room its located in which would be the same room the gas fireplace would be

When we installed bottled gas for our new HWS, 2 cylinders were recommended for couples/small houses and 3 cylinders for larger houses or those with more than one bathroom. We chose a company that drives past with their gas truck and tops them up fairly regularly, so we never have to ring them to fill cylinders when they are empty. They leave the bill in the letterbox. The gas fitter connected the system so that we don't need to switch tanks either- there is a valve that does something for us. My husband and I spend around $100 a quarter on gas but we are not running heaters. Be sure to buy appliances that you can run on LPG!

Last edited:
Sorry to post off topic but how long can the hoses for an indoor gas heater be?

My house has gas cooking and one bayonet in the lounge room. I want to get a gas heater rather than use the rc aircon, but the bayonet is the wrong side of the room and extension hoses seem to be only in 2m lengths.

Thanks all and Yes Rolf I know :D
After looking at the cost, however, I think we might be keeping the open fireplace and adding a gas bayonet in the same room instead- cheaper option.
As we don't have gas in our suburb it will need to be cylinders I'm afraid...

Thanks all and Yes Rolf I know :D
After looking at the cost, however, I think we might be keeping the open fireplace and adding a gas bayonet in the same room instead- cheaper option.
As we don't have gas in our suburb it will need to be cylinders I'm afraid...

no carbon tax for burning wood sourced urself :)

had to get a regas of 1 kg of refrigerant today for the office , used to be 120, now 300...............hmmmmmmmmm.

Im happy we dont have a big carbon input into our business, because we would have to close doors, cant exactly ask our lenders to increase our comms due to carbon can we :(

ta

rolf

ta
rolf

Check first to see if there is natural gas in the street, if not LPG is the only option.
Then obtain a few quotes from the gas suppliers, from my experience that will make you think twice about renting cylinders. Advise the gas fitter to set up a system for 2 x 40kg bottles and change them yourself. Much, much cheaper.

Where do you change 40kg bottles? Not easy to transport either. It's not like the 9kg ones.

Back