Gas / Elecricity Problems

I've just been told by AGL that they can't turn my electricity on now untill I get a certificate from an Electrician saying the house is safe because the power has been turned off for over 1 yr. Is this standard?
I was supposed to be moving in tomorrow. Buggers

Say what? There's a magical cut off now?

My IP was vacant for well over a year (electricity wasn't off for all that time I guess) and the electrical stuff is well known to be sub standard and has a HIA orders on it and nasty burny plastic stuff everywhere and other Really Bad things but ... they happily connected the electricity for us without batting an eyelid. We just turn if off at the meter whenever we come across a new melty wire, wrap the wire up nicely and turn it back on - electrician should be coming out soon to fix things up, the house needs MAJOR electrical work. Maybe the housing mob don't tell AGL when they hit a house that is below safe standards.

AGL charged us $90 for the first fortnight as an estimated read as the meter is indoors. We got that corrected to $11 with a check read, the solar hot water service is rather illegally installed and runs at a billion degrees (burny!) and used $10 of that $11.

I've just been told by AGL that they can't turn my electricity on now untill I get a certificate from an Electrician saying the house is safe because the power has been turned off for over 1 yr.

So, get an electrician in and get the certificate off him, not only will he check earthing etc, you'll have peace of mind knowing that the place is safer. Problem solved.
Gee, I wish all problems were this easy, Now, to solve world hunger ;)

JIM

So, get an electrician in and get the certificate off him, not only will he check earthing etc, you'll have peace of mind knowing that the place is safer. Problem solved.
Gee, I wish all problems were this easy, Now, to solve world hunger ;)

JIM

Yeah thanks but i'd rather save the $$$$$
It kind of worries me that it's like a roadworthy for your car. What if the sparky just wants lead in work and tells you the house needs complete re-wiring
grrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
because of this
zapped.jpg

or a roof that develops a leak over the year, into the wiring
or simply bowling for $$

Anyone know what it costs to get a ces certificate done by an electrician? Can anyone recommend one around the Frankston area?

Who is the local supply authority. I use to work for Integral Energy. They had their own inspectors but could also steer you to a list of qualified , certified compliance officers.

Gee Cee

Old Spark

Back