Gas heaters ? Advice

Our new PPOR has a under floor gas heater in the old part but the main family room doesn't have this .

We have a couple of small electric heaters which just work , but if we then decide to use the dryer or too much else the circuit blows ....

It does have a gas bayonett in one corner , but we've never had a Gas heater before so want some advice on their safety and the best type to use . The area its heating will be about 70 - 80 M2 .

I'm assuming if there's a bayonet fitting it's just a matter of plugging it in . Is that correct ?

We don't have spare wall space to fit it so it needs to be on the floor .

Any suggestions / advice ?

Cliff

A gas heater with a bayonet can be used

As it is unflued you need to ensure that a window is open to allow carbon monoxide to escape the room.

What does the new area have in terms of cooling? If you are going to have to look at air conditioning as well as heating for the area, then you may be able to kill two birds with one stone with a split or ducted AC system.

No Air con

It has fans . and we coped in last summer .

At some stage , we will be renovating the house and putting new everything through .

re ensurng that a window is open to allow carbon monoxide to escape the room , I understand that , but doesn't opening the window let the heat escape and defeat some of the purpose ?

Maybe we need to stick to electric and be carefull with how much we have on . It's a 2-3 year solution

Cliff

Seech,

We've had a gas heater in our ppor for 12 years in Perth.... no problems.. just plugs into the bayonet and no need to open windows etc.

We' have the largest one you can have that's flu-less.

Keeps the whole house warm.

Here in Victoria you are not allowed flu-less gas heaters at all.

Different states have different regulations.

Install a CO (carbon monoxyde) alarm (some come combined with smoke alarm) in the rooms where you put your gas heater - if CO builds up, it will warn you.
You can open the windows during the day, just make sure the place gets some air and does not stay constantly closed.

See_Change,

Our new PPOR has a under floor gas heater in the old part but the main family room doesn't have this .

Are you talking ducted? If so, any reason you cant just rejig the ductwork? Other than concrete slab floors of course....:eek:

Ciao

Nor

We have a couple of small electric heaters which just work , but if we then decide to use the dryer or too much else the circuit blows ....

It does have a gas bayonett in one corner , but we've never had a Gas heater before so want some advice on their safety and the best type to use . The area its heating will be about 70 - 80 M2 .

I'm assuming if there's a bayonet fitting it's just a matter of plugging it in . Is that correct ?

We don't have spare wall space to fit it so it needs to be on the floor .

Any suggestions / advice ?

Cliff

Put the dryer in the family room. You then won't need to operate the dryer and electric heaters at the same time. Circuit blowing issue solved!

I have 2 gas heaters (both unflued)

A convector (this model)
http://www.binglee.com.au/rinnai-av25s-avenger-25-convector-111

A radiant (similar to this one, but much older)
http://www.binglee.com.au/rinnai-252s-granada-252-radiant-heater-24482

I switched them around to use in the living room (open plan kitchen living - 5.5 x 3.5 living + 3x3.5 kitchen). I found the radiant to warm the room better, whereas the convector was nicer to warm up an individual if they sat right in front of it.

Windows are kept closed, but the area which it is heating is large enough to deal with the NO2 or whatever they deem to be poisonous.

We also have the rinnai avenger and it is fantastic. We keep windows closed but do not partition off the rooms and keep it open plan so the gases spread through whole,house. It can heat up the room it is in very quickly and it also heats up our upstairs.

hiya

I have got the Rinnai Avenger 25 too (same as Nek) just installed last month...

it warms up a big living room (about 7 by 5 m) cum open plan kitchen quite well...and quite fast too...

only thing is it can be quite noisy:eek: compared to my old radiant heater....which i loved

Back