Gas hot water

Hi all,

My gas hot water system got busted, leaks water onto the pilot, its about 17 yo.

So I am thinking of replacing the unit.

My brother tells me to go with instantaneous gas hot water system which apparently saves money on gas and water and also gives you never ending hot water.

This is for my PPOR house and we have 4 people sharing the place.

Any opinions?

We have one of those Infinity instant hot water thingies. Never ending hot water my ****. Shower constantly goes hot-then-cold-then-hot-then-cold infinitum.

Hot water system is about 13 years old though. One of these days I'm going to complain to our property manager to get it fixed...

Hi all,

My gas hot water system got busted, leaks water onto the pilot, its about 17 yo.

My brother tells me to go with instantaneous gas hot water system which apparently saves money on gas and water and also gives you never ending hot water.

Any opinions?

i have had 2 continuous gas hot water systems at my ppor in the last 28 years ,first one had a pilot light which gave us merry hell when it got a bit older ,flucuating from hot to cold ,or just getting the flow right to keep it on ,second system has a hydro control ,so that when water is passing through it the system ignites and continues to run as long as the water is being used .a great system ,i am building another home at the moment and i will be putting 2 of these units in one close to the laundry/kitchen one close to the bathroom/ensuite .great systems and would recommend to everyone going down this path

You will find that the newer instantenous gas hot water heater are quite good, the technology has changed now allowing more constant heat. All depends on what you want really. The Instantenous are very compact and are hung on the wall, and they don't turn on when the water isn't getting used so they are meant to be energy efficient too.

All in all, I don't think they are as good as the Storage Water Heaters, but they are getting up there!

As Arms just posted, the hydro control is in the new systems which seem to work really well. Have a talk to a plumber to see what suits you best.

I have one of the newer technology instant units on my 16-room student accommodation and it's worked without a hiccup for 3 years, or a single complaint about variable temperature. And they whine about everything :p, so if it were an issue, I'd have heard about it!

We would definitely go this way for our PPOR if we had gas. :(

Thanks guys.

Ok Im really thinking of getting the newer technology instantaneous gas hot water systems!

itll work out much more expensive but who cares... cheaper for long term :)

i have had 2 continuous gas hot water systems at my ppor in the last 28 years ,first one had a pilot light which gave us merry hell when it got a bit older ,flucuating from hot to cold ,or just getting the flow right to keep it on ,second system has a hydro control ,so that when water is passing through it the system ignites and continues to run as long as the water is being used .a great system ,i am building another home at the moment and i will be putting 2 of these units in one close to the laundry/kitchen one close to the bathroom/ensuite .great systems and would recommend to everyone going down this path

Can you please tell me what brand and model the hydro control units you have?

I just dropped 2 large to replace a storage gas HWS like-for-like. I briefly considered changing it to an instantaneous system but I assumed it would take longer and cost more (to redo plumbing, fittings, etc). Was that a correct assumption?

From a long-term maintenance perspective, which is more reliable for an IP - storage or instantaneous gas? (electric is no longer allowed in SA).

Incidentally, I've been told instantaneous gas systems are very problematic with a flick mixer tap. Is that true?

I just dropped 2 large to replace a storage gas HWS like-for-like. I briefly considered changing it to an instantaneous system but I assumed it would take longer and cost more (to redo plumbing, fittings, etc). Was that a correct assumption?

From a long-term maintenance perspective, which is more reliable for an IP - storage or instantaneous gas? (electric is no longer allowed in SA).

Incidentally, I've been told instantaneous gas systems are very problematic with a flick mixer tap. Is that true?

i have mixer taps throughout my existing home and never had a problem with the newer system ,had heaps with the old pilot system

One trap with changing from a storage unit to a instantaneous unit is that the gas supply line may have to be upgraded from the meter.

This is because the inst.unit can burn more than 4 times the volume of gas when heating, may be big bucks.

Get a plumber to check the sizing of the line for a new inst.unit, don't listen to sales
people on this.

Cheers

Pete

Hi all,

Any opinions?
That,s a good run after 17 years,with 4 people i would go with the wall mounted units,just talk too a plumber,,willair..imho..http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/1033.htm

Plumber said that yes the gas pipes need to be changed but its not that big of a deal as my gas meter is near by. All up I am looking at around $1300 for the instant hot water unit. He is going to email me some quotes.

Got a quote today: Rinnai infinity instantaneous 26L per minute (needs power point) $1198. Power point is about $100-150 extra. Plus $450 labour. So all around $1800.

The other 2 units are:
Bosch Hydro power instantaneous16L per minute $955 plus labour.
Bosch 26L per minute instantaneous (needs power point) $1157 plus labour.

Any advice on which to choose? The plumber said to go with the first unit Rinnai.

Got a quote today: Rinnai infinity instantaneous 26L per minute (needs power point) $1198. Power point is about $100-150 extra. Plus $450 labour. So all around $1800.

The other 2 units are:
Bosch Hydro power instantaneous16L per minute $955 plus labour.
Bosch 26L per minute instantaneous (needs power point) $1157 plus labour.

Any advice on which to choose? The plumber said to go with the first unit Rinnai.

i have the bosch hydropower in my ppor ,modern taps use about 3-4 litres a minute so you could realistically have 4 people showering (seperatly :rolleyes:)at the same time with the 16 lpm .i can recommend it to you .the plumber recommends the dearest one ,could be a conflict of interest between his and your pocket.

i have the bosch hydropower in my ppor ,modern taps use about 3-4 litres a minute so you could realistically have 4 people showering (seperatly :rolleyes:)at the same time with the 16 lpm .i can recommend it to you .the plumber recommends the dearest one ,could be a conflict of interest between his and your pocket.
So you swear by Bosch Hydropower as its great for hot water showers etc?

Its a price difference of $350 or so betwene the Rinnai.

We only have two showers at my PPOR, and there are hardly times when 4 of us shower at the same time. Mostly its someone showering separately.

So you swear by Bosch Hydropower as its great for hot water showers etc?

We have a Bosch at home that is about four years old and the temperature control is hopeless (temperature fluctuates constantly). Having a word to some people at a plumbing supplies place and they all say the same thing. I'd be thinking twice about which brand to choose.

Gools

Back