Gas Leak? Please Help

Tenant recently moved into an apartment I just purchased and has complained of smell of gas from cupboard. I did a search on SS and couldn't find any relevant posts.

I assume I would need to do a gas inspection but where can I find the professionals who does this? Does anyone have a recommendation?

Also, does anyone know what might need to be done if there's really a leakage?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thx,

Get a plumber to check it out. It might just be one of the connections that is causing the issue. When you say it's coming from the cupboard, is this where the gas isolation point is located?

Another good way to see where it is leaking is to mix water and soap together and spray it on the valve and fittings. If it starts to bubble in any place then you know gas is leaking from that joint.

Another good way to see where it is leaking is to mix water and soap together and spray it on the valve and fittings. If it starts to bubble in any place then you know gas is leaking from that joint.

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I will give the soap and water mix a go. I'm just worried the pipes might be hidden. I had a look around my own house and couldn't find any exposed pipes. I hope I won't have to knock down any walls to find the problem.:eek:

Had the same problem myself a few months ago. Plumber sent out to check for the leak.

The cooktop was the problem (leak from inside the unit).

Plumber advised best to replace rather than mess around with the existing one.

I phoned around the local suppliers and picked up a new unit and dropped it off at the house for installation by the plumber (saved close to $ 200 sourcing myself rather than having the plumber source one from the local regional store).

Was originally picked up from the tenant complaint of a smell from the cupboard.

Cheers,

Fourex.

Ask your PM to sort it out. If there is an issue it may be covered by the strata.

Hi twobobsworth, I checked with the strata manager, 'not common property, not our problem' was basically the reply I got.

Going a bit off the track, the apartments in the building have very small windows that don't open much so would be very difficult if not impossible to clean the outside of the windows, hence I thought the strata manager might arrange for the outside of the windows to be cleaned just like the common properties, "nah' was the answer I got.

First strata titled IP. It's all very new to me.:(

Had the same problem myself a few months ago. Plumber sent out to check for the leak.

The cooktop was the problem (leak from inside the unit).
Fourex.

Thanks Fourex. I never even thought about that. If that's indeed the problem how do I know which cooktops are suitable replacements? What sort of information do I need to give to the supplier so they know what I'm after? Like measurements etc.. (I hope I'm making sense)

Cheers

Of course I cannot stress the urgency in getting this sorted out LEAKING gas is not something to mess with. In my case (wifes case to be honest) just so happens I was in Tassie renovating my brothers place and wife was cooking and the leaking gas ignited and flashed, blowing the food she was cooking plus a few other things on the stove top around the kitchen :eek:. Freaked her and my son out and the good lady was none to happy (kinda pleased I was in Tassie).

I contacted a plumber / gasfitter friend to come out and check what the situation was hence to say a new cook top was in order.

Wife could only find one unit to fit our existing cut out in the bench still needed to be cut a bit bigger, so the cut out size is what you maybe best going by. Of course it maybe as simple of tightening a fitting.

I would act quickly get a plumber / gasfitter to check it out better to be safe then the other possible options.

Brian

When a gas appliance is installed, it has to have a isolation point nearby in case of any emergencies. Wouldn't be too handy if it was installed inside a wall would it?

As NBS said. It could be quite a serious issue, get it looked at asap.

Went to the apartment today. The smell is actually coming from the cupboard below the sink away from the cooktop. There was a whole bunch of pipes there along with the gas meter. Tried the soap and water mix, failed to bubble. Looks like I'll have to call a gasfitter now. At least the walls won't need to be knocked down.:p

This could be different because it's in an apartment building, not a house. But over here in SA I've been told if you smell gas to call the gas provider and they'll have an emergency guy out within hours. But as I said perhaps this doesn't apply to inside a big building or only applies to exteriors?

This could be different because it's in an apartment building, not a house. But over here in SA I've been told if you smell gas to call the gas provider and they'll have an emergency guy out within hours. But as I said perhaps this doesn't apply to inside a big building or only applies to exteriors?

Thanks Steve. Turns out that's exactly what I need to do. If the meter is leaking, supplier will replace it (free of charge i think), if not at least I know it's definitely the pipes and will call a plumber.

Back