Geocaching

Took the kids out Geocaching yesterday which was a good 11k walk in our local area and a bit of treasure hunting fun, plus they got to play at several parks

We used the Smartphone and had a quick look at the app which showed a number in our local area, so with a backpack, water, a pen and kids in tow off we went

All Geocaches took a while to find, with the last being cleverly hidden (thank god for clues) and with some perseverance. The below photo is not ours, but it gives an idea of a "cache".

Geocache_opened.jpg

What is Geocaching

Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. It's a great way to be outdoors, enjoy the environment and revel in the thrill of the hunt!

How is the game played?
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.
  2. Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
  3. Enter your postal code and click "search."
  4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
  5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
  6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
  7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
  8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
  9. There are many other levels to the game. Keep reading the guide to learn more!
What are the rules of geocaching?
  • If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
  • Write about your find in the cache logbook.
  • Log your experience

If you have some bored kids, give it a try ;)

Hi redwing,

I've never heard of Geocaching but what a great idea to get the kids outdoors!

Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers Spades.

I've been doing it for years and now with a geokid we do it together. We found a few last week in the freezing cold up Hanging Rock near Tamworth. Love it. I've done some overseas too.

10534773_10154458426080179_574239854725608965_n.jpg

We lived next door to a park. Lots of cars used to park out the front of our house and go into the park for a few minutes then return to the car and drive off.... anyway we found out they were Geocaching. Someone must have moved it as no more cars pull up.

Took the kids to Bells Rapids today , watched some of the Avon Descent crews training and took a hiking trail (goat trail) anyhow decided to log into geocaching and found a geocache nearby with tracking tags , letters etc from various places including one from Germany . This was our biggest Geocache find so far and the kids had a ball going through it all . We chose one tracking tag to move to another location and the kids are now keen to make a local Geocache

I've found some in our suburb/bush land! It's pretty cool seing visits from people from other countries! :) Should take a look there! All the wildflowers are starting to bloom.

Last edited:
No idea this existed. Just joined and can see there's several caches hiding where I walk my dogs. I'll have to have a look for them tomorrow.

No idea this existed. Just joined and can see there's several caches hiding where I walk my dogs. I'll have to have a look for them tomorrow.

A couple of days ago, we had no idea either

Surprised at the amount of cache's around the place

It's been fun taking the kids out over the school holidays though, no cost and good exercise ;)

Found a sick fox on it's last legs the other day on our walk out and about, tried the rangers etc and eventually got some assistance from Wildcare

If you give it a go....Take a pen, something to add to the cache (it's mostly little trinkets) and enjoy the walk, our oldest has been giving his fitbit a workout so we know the steps and k's involved :D

Last edited:
Yep its great fun for the kids. Getting them outside!

I am crap at finding them though...really bad. have to take the hubby as I just get frustrated.

Oh yeah nothing worse than not finding them especially when I've got a four year old screaming "Where is my TREASURE!!!!!!!" ha ha. Have to use it as a life lesson when he gets disappointed but it is offset by the joy and excitement when he is the first to find one before I spot it.

I've been meaning to do this for a while now and your post came at the right time redwing! We went geocaching the very next day and found our first three :)
It changed the 6 year old's repetitive "are we going to the car yet" to "how far to the next treasure?". Although two out of the three we found were completely soaked through making it impossible to sign the log. Oh well, just as well you can still mark it as found online.

Geocaching is great fun. I have been doing it for years.

A favourite experience I had was a Geocaching event in Britsh Colombia, Canada.

I had been in the country about a week, and through the local geocaching community had a seat in a car, borrowed camping gear and joined a bunch of amazing people for a long weekend of geocaching.

A great community :)

We found three today around Brisbane.

The kids are loving it! Good to get out and about as well - glorious winter weather up here today.

:D

We lived next door to a park. Lots of cars used to park out the front of our house and go into the park for a few minutes then return to the car and drive off.... anyway we found out they were Geocaching. Someone must have moved it as no more cars pull up.

Are you sure they were geocaching? It may have been an activity involving illicit substances and money- before the police cottoned on.

Back