Gettin' Square

Some time ago on this forum we discussed alternative investments in general and investments in film and TV in particular.

Here we go - the movie is out October the 9th.

"Wattsy" Wirth (Sam Worthington) is fresh out of prison and determined to go straight. But like Johnny "Spit" Spitieri (David Wenham), and reformed gangster Darren "Dabba" Barrington (Timothy Spall) he discovers that getting on the straight and narrow is a lot harder than he thought. On the outside there are old scores and old enemies, as well as a few new ones, like the newly formed Criminal Investigation Commission. With the CIC breathing down their necks and pressure from underworld boss Chicka Martin (Gary Sweet) and corrupt cop, Arnie DeViers (David Field), it will take Wattsy, Spit and Dabba all their street smarts and rat cunning to stay one step ahead and become square-heads...

It's gonna be a good movie by the sound of it... In cinemas 9th October.
Read more about the movie, download trailers and wallpapers, and more

Gettin' Square

Disclosure: I have invested in this movie and am a proud part-owner of the copyright. If you like this kind of movies as much as I do please go and see Gettin' Square, and if you like it - tell you friends.

Lotana

Hello Lotana,

Good luck with the investment. I hope it gives you more than just a tax deduction and something to watch while munching on popcorn.

If you don't mind me asking, how & why does one get involved in film investment?

Regards,

Kenny

I was also an investor- many years ago- of the mini series "Harp in the South" and "Bliss"- both going back many years.

I didn't make a cent out of them, despite 150% deduction available at the time.

But it was an interesting process to learn about how the movies making process was going.

Though I did not like the final prodcuct of "Bliss". I went to the premier- and felt too embarrassed to talk to the people involved.

These people were outside the cinema just after the viewing- waiting for people to congratulate them- and it just didn't happen.

Originally posted by geoffw
I went to the premier- and felt too embarrassed to talk to the people involved.

Hmmm.. and what did the leader of your state or territory say to you?

Did you end up going to the opening night though?

Jamie :D

Well, I haven't seen it yet. Just got 2 passes from the fund fir the last week of September. I think it sounds ok and I would've probably watched it anyway (even if I have not invested in it). How one becomes a film investor? Easy! You just wait till end of May, then start anxiously look for tax deductions that you have not yet exploited. Then you see an add from a well-known investment bank, give them a call, and you are hooked.

Seriously, I agree with geoffw - it's new learning experience. For this particular fund the downside is limited (you are guaranteed to get 50% of your capital back (taxable), plus you are getting 48.5% back from the taxman. So you are guaranteed to get back 74.25%. But the upside is blue sky. It suits my risk profile as they say.

Cheers,

Lotana

Where are you in the payout queue?

I know that despite high figures in the media about first weekend takings, very few films actually make a profit.

However, that money has to pay somethings. So where in the queue are investors paid?

Jas

Originally posted by Jas
Where are you in the payout queue?

I know that despite high figures in the media about first weekend takings, very few films actually make a profit.

However, that money has to pay somethings. So where in the queue are investors paid?

Jas

I did see quite a good documentry on hollywood from a profit perspective recently. The majority of movies seem to be loss makers but this is offset by the occasional blockbuster which makes huge profits. The stats I heard were for the big move studios, out of every 10 movies as an rough expectation,

8 will make a loss
1 will be about break even
1 will be highly successful and make a large profit

They also had some stats on the average return of funds commited for hollywood movies, for 2002 (I think) it averaged out to about 5%.

I think I saw the same thing.

So if investors are paid profits, you've got a 1 in 10 chance of winning the lotto. Really, if the studios can't guess which films are going to win, how can we?

Still, better chances than winning lotto I guess.

Jas

Back