Getting a bit hot?

No..... see the RBA charts in the above link. It's currrently ~4.8X.

Average aussie home is how much?
Average aussie wage is how much?

I have no desire to see interpreted statistics. The basics will do thanks.

Yes.. as does the RBA.... as do the 100,000's of FHBs who recently bought.

Newsflash. The 100 000's of thousands of FHB's had to be given tax payers money, record low interest rates, relaxed lending standards and a media bombarding them to get in now while its too late. Seriously, thats an indication of affordability to you?

As it is, almost half of them are going to be under water by the end of the year.

Did you see the report that came out of Fujitsu recently? I post the link if you have not seen it. It was all over the show.

Why is the traditional Affordability Index correct ? Why shouldn't it change as circumstances change ? Why don't you consider the Debt/Income Ratio to be valid ? Why don't you consider the Wages of the FHB demographic to lower quartile house price to be relevant ?

Im not going to debate that with you. All I am going to say to you is that it will be a first in history. FIRST EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

You expecting world records here. Im trying to be a little more pragmatic and getting slammed for it.

Disagree. Inflation has averaged 3%, wage growth 4.5%, some of that additional disposable income goes towards higher house prices, some goes towards more consumer spending....it's a win-win.

4.5% wage growth pales into insignificance when property price growth has been double digit!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does that not correlate to less disposable income
?

Its simple mathematics. Its basic logic. Housing is more expensive. Which means that the cost of housing takes money away from other industry sectors. At which point does housing become so expensive that other industry sectors suffer for it?

I wish the rest of us lived in Blue Cards world. We could spend every cent we own on accommodation and still hold down our jobs.

Average aussie home is how much?
Average aussie wage is how much?

I have no desire to see interpreted statistics. The basics will do thanks.
See the RBA link I posted above.

Newsflash. The 100 000's of thousands of FHB's had to be given tax payers money, record low interest rates, relaxed lending standards and a media bombarding them to get in now while its too late. Seriously, thats an indication of affordability to you?
That's my reality, and the RBAs, and those 100,000's FHBs. I guess you have a different reality ?

As it is, almost half of them are going to be under water by the end of the year.
We'll see.

Did you see the report that came out of Fujitsu recently? I post the link if you have not seen it. It was all over the show.
Please do.

Im not going to debate that with you. All I am going to say to you is that it will be a first in history. FIRST EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.
:confused: What will ?

true - the more money you spend on a house, the less you have for other things.

this is why people live in apartments in NY and Tokyo. The land is too expensive.

It'll get that way here too.

i'm not arguing FOR a million dollar median - but unfortunatley it'll probably happen.

just the same as the Perth median would "never" reach $100,000 in the 70s.
or $250,000 in the 80s.
or $400,00 in the 90s.

and so it continues.

4.5% wage growth pales into insignificance when property price growth has been double digit!!!!!!!!!!!!
It doesn't actually. Have a read of post #16 in the Why does property go up in value? thread. It's pretty easy to see that discretionary income has been increasing at 7%pa for a while..... hmmmm just like property.

Its simple mathematics. Its basic logic. Housing is more expensive. Which means that the cost of housing takes money away from other industry sectors. At which point does housing become so expensive that other industry sectors suffer for it?
I think you missed the point about inflation..... if inflation gives us 3% extra $$$ over last year, and some goes towards housing & some goes towards other industry sectors, then it's a win-win.

How does that not correlate to less disposable income
?

I wish the rest of us lived in Blue Cards world. We could spend every cent we own on accommodation and still hold down our jobs.

4.5% on top of CPI?

DeanoC,

Mate, you're not being slammed, so don't think about leaving this forum. You're making a thought-provoking case about house prices, and a bunch of us are questioning it because we don't want to take any argument as self-evident. It's making us all think. Good on you! You're welcome here, I say.

All right, about half the people on this forum ARE lunatics, and the other half are just property-mad, but you've got to enjoy it for what it is: A forum where everybody can speak about matter of public interest, and so everyone can rightfully be grilled about. The Greeks came up with the idea around two and half thousand years ago, and called it Democracy. It's one of the reasons people want to come and live in our wonderful country, and I'm sure you'd be in agreement about that.

So, at heart you're saying that we should look at the way increasing housing costs are diminishing our capacity to purchase other good and services, and that this can only damage our economic well-being long term, right?

There's a couple of assumptions in this question itself that need to make the light of day. . .

The first is that housing is not itself economically productive. But does money spent on building, buying and renting houses fall into a black hole? No. Just like money spent on other consumables, it re-circulates throughout the economy, engenendering spending in non-housing consumables. It's not a zero-sum game: It's a virtuous circle, because housing is ultimately just another comsumable, albeit one consumed less visibly than most others. It all comes back around. And, as prices go up, suppliers, builders and developers find better ways to bring costs down, competition ensues, equilibrium between supply and demand returns, and prices temporarily normalise at a new level and at a new housing density.

The second assumption is that expensive housing is un-Australian. Look back over your posts: You're mixing emotion with economic modelling, which I would argue is Steve Keene's basic mistake. I don't like expensive housing either, and it will have social implications for Australians, but are all of them bad? I would argue that Australians are a pretty realistic lot, and when housing costs go up they adapt flexibly (more like, say, Americans) than flammably (like, say, the French). {Sorry to any Francophiles out there!}

The third key assumption is that general economic productivity is static. How else could it be that housing costs go up but national income doesn't? But productivity advancements are non-linear: They're cumulative, just like compound interest (and capital gains). Unless the wage component of national income falls relative to the housing cost of national income, you don't have a problem. Of course, the distribution of wage income can change, but that's why as individuals we have to keep up with technology, re-train for our jobs, and review our education system's objectives with every generation. But I would argue Australia - while it has had it's income ups and downs relative to other countries thourghout its history - has always held its own and looks like doing so for many generations to come. And that's why we can afford growing house prices, because our ongoing productive growth is ultimately the cause of it!

You might not accept that your argument makes these assumptions, but I invite you to slam into them with all your might all the same!

Belbo

really? i hadn't considered 22mil a "low" number, especially considering that 20% of them are trying to squeeze into a landmass the size of Adelaide's Gulf St Vincent in between the Blue Mountains and the Ocean.

I went to yet another auction today where I watched prices go silly. It was for a 1BR in a great inner Melb location. Previous sales in the suburb were an average of $320-$360. Highest in the last months for a 1BR was $407 from memory. Great condition, great location and on a good day I thought maybe $400 but no.... $447K.

I went to yet another auction today where I watched prices go silly. It was for a 1BR in a great inner Melb location. Previous sales in the suburb were an average of $320-$360. Highest in the last months for a 1BR was $407 from memory. Great condition, great location and on a good day I thought maybe $400 but no.... $447K.

Wow!! What are 2 bedders going for in Richmond at the moment?? Wasn't long ago you could get a 2 bedder for $360,000 in Richmond (Not on the hill, but not far away).

From an investment point of view the yields wouldn't be making any sense at all now.

Regards Jason.

................From an investment point of view the yields wouldn't be making any sense at all now.

Regards Jason.

Hey Jason,

they are also following suit in the comm sector. Retail shop sold in Centre Road Bentleigh on a 3 % yield :eek: and that is not triple net in that asset class :(

Wow!! What are 2 bedders going for in Richmond at the moment?? Wasn't long ago you could get a 2 bedder for $360,000 in Richmond (Not on the hill, but not far away).

From an investment point of view the yields wouldn't be making any sense at all now.

Regards Jason.

The one I referred to previously was in Northcote. I don't even bother looking in Richmond at the moment from an investment point of view. I keep an eye on it of course, but it's just STUPID. Last weekend a rather nice and unique 2BR with NO carpark and NO outside area sold for $830K or something similiar. The reserve was $600K. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind investing in Richmond right now.

Another 2BR with a balcony in a rather run down complex of about 16 was advertised for $360-$380K. The flat needed complete renovation. It sold for $480K I think. *Note my sales figures may be off a touch as this is from memory only.

Suffice to say, most listings in Richmond are going for at least 20% above it seems. I guess it's good for me since I have a PPOR/IP here but I certainly won't be buying anything else.

The one I referred to previously was in Northcote. I don't even bother looking in Richmond at the moment from an investment point of view. I keep an eye on it of course, but it's just STUPID. Last weekend a rather nice and unique 2BR with NO carpark and NO outside area sold for $830K or something similiar. The reserve was $600K. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind investing in Richmond right now.

Another 2BR with a balcony in a rather run down complex of about 16 was advertised for $360-$380K. The flat needed complete renovation. It sold for $480K I think. *Note my sales figures may be off a touch as this is from memory only.

Suffice to say, most listings in Richmond are going for at least 20% above it seems. I guess it's good for me since I have a PPOR/IP here but I certainly won't be buying anything else.

Amongst real estate circles (and I won't name the agencies), Richmond is notorious for mass underquoting and has become more pronounced since so called 'underquoting' became a big issue in 2009.

Hey Jason,

they are also following suit in the comm sector. Retail shop sold in Centre Road Bentleigh on a 3 % yield :eek: and that is not triple net in that asset class :(

This scenario reminds me of the boom days in Perth when the market peaked.

RBA meet next week, be interesting to see whether there will be an IR increase and if so whether this will effect Melb market. What do you all think?

There may even be some opportunities to purchase if the market changes for a short period.

Cheers, MTR

re

Went to a few auction as well on the weekend. And same stories as you guys, alot of desperate buyers (usually 3 to 4 at the start, and always a man/woman in dark sunnies ninja the property out of no where at the end) with deep pockets. Lucky they did not exist when I bought my last one... phew.

At this stage, with interest rate about to go up - so as they say, I am very careful not to get into too much debt. Probably have to look elsewhere like the regional areas for better yield.

Warrenkh.2010

This is the part that makes no sense unless it is a blow off.

An apartment I made an offer on later sold for $865K in Docklands.

Add in stamp duty and well over $900K.

The only problem was that it had a secure lease for the next 3 years @ $33K p.a minus the $17k in outgoings.

What tha?

Another one in Port Melbourne several weeks ago, sold of $780K back on the market as a rental with gross returns of $28K p.a.

What tha?

It seems income doesn't matter anymore just the potential for CG's.

Cheers

Back