getting cheaper quotes for repairs special site

does anyone know the site mentioned a couple of months ago on aca where you can post a job needed and get a much cheaper local tradesman instead of being ripped off?

but how would it work as in many cases we dont know the problem so would a tradesman come just to diagnose and quote. that usually doesnt happen.

Eg my westinghouse fridge freezer several years old i think , wasnt cooling down properly so i called a recommended fridge repair man who told me it was the fan and that it was some $220. I was desperate soi paid it and go it over and done with.

but i wonder if at that point i could have said that i'll think about it after he had bothered to come and if i could have posted it on whatever the site is where local tradies then give better prices and hopefully come in decently behaved and do the job properly.

HOw would you know if they arent recommended that you are safe to let them in the house and that when they say they fixed the fan that it is true.

but there has to be more choice then just desperately handing over $220 for something that didnt take him long to dignose or fix

and plumbers can be worse i had a plumber once unblock a toilet( that i realised after he came was blocked from a child had dropping a large lid into it) and it was $300 on the spot.

Is there a a better cheaper but also safe reliable way. ?

Check first - some trades charge for a service visit if you don't go ahead with repairs.

Entirely fair, why should someone spend time diagnosing a problem for you to use this info to try to get cheaper prices?
Marg

Back