Getting petrol smell out of car?

Hi all!

In my infinite wisdom, I managed to spill some petrol in Mrs MJ's car. I was transporting a borrowed whipper-snipper back to my outlaws, and the fuel cap wasn't securely fastened, so some petrol has seeped out into the back seat. :eek:

Naturally, the Mrs is quite aghast as to the events of today and I need to make good on the promise to rectify the situation.

A quick Google search suggested to use any or all of the following to get rid of the smell:

* charcoal
* apples
* bicarb soda, lemon and water
* sunlight
* matches :D

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the petrol smell? The back seat has been removed from the car to air off, but naturally we're going to need the seat back in for passengers at some point. Makes the RTA and police happy, you see... :D

Cheers!

-- MJ.

Has it left a stain?
I would have used warm soapy water and the rinsed it well and put it in the sun to dry

Has it left a stain?
I would have used warm soapy water and the rinsed it well and put it in the sun to dry

No stain that I can see. I've already soaked it with the bicarb soda/lemon juice/water mix and dabbed it with a couple of paper towels to absorb most of the moisture...

I think you've done pretty much all you can. The sun will do the rest. Petrol evaporates and you've done what you need to do for the residue.

Does she need the back seat for a while??

If not, just take it out. It should be only two bolts where you're feet go. Slide the back rest up, then the bottom part should come out...

Clean it a bit more, and leave it in the sun.

Good luck

leave the windows down, it will go away in no time
i once spilled a can of oil for the lawn mower, now that was hard to get out...

It can take a long time but it will disappear.
Have you tried a hair dryer andthen a carpet deodariser directly on the affected area?

Thanks all! I'll leave the seat out for a couple of days.

redsquash: Haven't tried a hair dryer yet; I'll give that a go in a couple of days...

"Time is a great healer, but a lousy beautician". Not the first time I've heard that. I'll leave the car out in the sun on the driveway and cross my fingers. :)

I actually just remembered a Seinfeld episode where Jerry can't get a smell out of his car and eventually throws the keys in. :)

"Time is a great healer, but a lousy beautician".

I heard something on the radio the other day, a comedian or such person, something along the lines of;

"Time does not heal all wounds. Rather, I prefer to think of Time as a first-year surgeon who can get right in where it matters and repair the wound, but will nick one or two major organs on the way out. So from the outside, everything will seem more or less ok. But in reality, you'll be horribly scarred and debilitated for life."

"Time is a great healer, but a lousy beautician". Not the first time I've heard that. I'll leave the car out in the sun on the driveway and cross my fingers. :)

I actually just remembered a Seinfeld episode where Jerry can't get a smell out of his car and eventually throws the keys in. :)

take the seat OUT of the car - the vinegar smell will get into your roof lining and the other seats otherwise.

off fuel smells worse than good fuel.

You could try rubbing dog poo into it...definatley wont smell like petrol then...:p

Sorry, I'm not helping matters am I!:D

Boods

Back