Getting Plumbing without Receipt for Cash

A plumber came today to fix a hot water system electrical chord, a minor job under warranty so while he was here we got him to give us a price on installing a new toilet system and he was looking at around $350 all up (not including bowl as that is ok) but he was quite young and seemed unhelpful or interested. We then rung around a few more plumbers to get a new toilet system installed. The first plumber was quite arrogant and didn't want to suggest a price and just kept quoting his hourly rate so we soon moved on.

We then talked to another one and he quoted $240 plus G.S.T. with a new seat and a pipe or something. We asked if he can we get the price down a little? He said he could do it for $230 cash. We asked if that comes with a receipt & warranty and he said he won't give a receipt but will leave his business card with his signature and date or something and it apparently comes with 12 month warranty ( I guess for the system). We said we need it to be warranted as it will have tenants renting it and we won't be around so will need to make sure if it broke down that it would be covered.

Anyway we said to go ahead next week with it but we are now having second thoughts, mainly with the receipt part that worries us. Should we be worried or is this normal for cash jobs?

Just pay the extra and claim.

So basically you wanted to get a Toilet Cistern installed? The pipe would have been the flush pipe. $240 + GST isn't too bad considering they are supplying a cistern. They usually retail around $150-$200 for a average plastic unit.

Where abouts are you located?

It would be more than $10, it would be $240 + G.S.T of $24 which equals $264 so that is $34 more, ok not a big deal I guess. But the thing is we are not registered for G.S.T as we make our income overseas, not in Australia so we don't invoice clients etc as our Australian income made here is less than required for G.S.T registration. Or do you mean just for general tax?

If you earn incme here & fill out a tax return, you'd get a %age of the $264 back at tax time.

If you go cash, what's the worst that will happen with a cistern that would be covered under warrany anyway?

no clear answers from me hey ? sorry

You can buy a cistern complete from Bunnings for $150 so his price seems reasonable.

A receipt means you can claim it as others have said.

You could even try installing it yourself?

Wow I'm sorry if this sounds rude but do you seriously worry over something so much you post on the internet for help - without coming to the conclusion yourself of just paying the extra 30 something bucks to get a receipt?

Or do you mean just for general tax?

If you're paying 30c/$1 tax then you'll get $79.2 back if you go with the higher quote. Go for it.

I would worry the other plumber is using stolen parts.

As has been said already, the bits are available fairly cheaply if you can install it yourself. A plumbing supplies place will be a lot cheaper than Bunnings for these items......

Gools

Thanks Gools & Simon and others for your help. We might be better getting it done by the plumber this time as we don't have much time.

The main reason we wanted to ask was about the tax thing so we also know for future purchases when the price is cheaper for cash too. I think we will go for the receipt price to be safe.

Paying cash doesn't automatically mean no receipt. Most tradies like cash as they don't have to send you an invoice then track when it is paid or chase you up for payment when you forget - I have a shocking memory for things like that.

Just cos he prefers cash doesn't make him a tax evader. I ask for, and usually get a discount for cash on completion of the job and I always get a receipt with that. Maybe it is from his "Other receipt book" but that is none of my concern - is between him and the ATO if indeed that is happening...

Except for the old lady who spring cleans my student house for me annually ... we both know at $17 ph that it is supplementing her old age pension... She is a dream and works like a trojan but I have to leave the house otherwise I pay her $17ph to follow me around chatting about our respective families :)

Paying cash doesn't automatically mean no receipt. Most tradies like cash as they don't have to send you an invoice then track when it is paid or chase you up for payment when you forget - I have a shocking memory for things like that.

Just cos he prefers cash doesn't make him a tax evader. I ask for, and usually get a discount for cash on completion of the job and I always get a receipt with that. Maybe it is from his "Other receipt book" but that is none of my concern - is between him and the ATO if indeed that is happening...That would means he is a tax evader,

Except for the old lady who spring cleans my student house
for me annually ... we both know at $17 ph that it is supplementing her old age pension... She is a dream and works like a trojan but I have to leave the house otherwise I pay her $17ph to follow me around chatting about our respective families :)

Does the pension get cut if you earn $17, or even $170 pa ?

Does the pension get cut if you earn $17, or even $170 pa ?

There were stories in the news around Christmas about older men doing a week's worth of Santa work in stores, earning several hundred dollars for just that week or two weeks of work, and it affecting their payments (I think) for the whole year.

I cannot remember the details, but it is something that seems nonsense, but apparently is a real problem.

You can buy a cistern complete from Bunnings for $150 so his price seems reasonable.

A receipt means you can claim it as others have said.

You could even try installing it yourself?

Actually its about $80 not including a pan. This will give you a new cistern and seat. We have just done 2 recently and unfortunately Bunnings price beat the plumbing suppliers prices.

I wasn't aware that there was any warranty on the cistern (apart from statutory with labor still to be paid) and certainly if I was a plumber after a week or two I wouldn't want to know about it except as a new job.

Excluding GST (no tax invoice) would indicate that he is evading tax. Prior to GST there was no way of knowing whether it was just a convenience factor but now no tax invoice the supplier is not declaring it.

Cheers

Yes Bunnings is only $85 at our local one. We decided to cancel the plumber and will go to Bunnings and buy a cistern there and try to install it ourselves as it could mean a saving of $160+. Although I'm a little worried it will fit as they said they only have 6 litre ones these days for water saving etc but our one is 11 litres but the water level stops at 6 litres so it might work, fingers crossed! The man at Bunnings said if it stops at 6 litres then it probably will be ok but he said he was not 100% sure. He said the other thing that we might need is a flexible hose ($10) in case the chrome one on there does not fit in the same spot. I guess it will be a matter of trying it, not sure if we should buy the hose as it would mean a trip back to the city to buy it if it needs one?

Also How hard is it to get the big pipe part off? it seems to have a large round nut, do we need a special tool for this? Is there any other thing we need like glue or anything? So just turning the water tap off on the toilet is all we need to do before or do we need to turn the mains water off outside?

I guess if we get stuck we can ring a plumber to install it although I hope we can still have the toilet working until they can come, maybe just using a bucket of water to flush it :eek:

The big nut at the bottom can sometimes be loosened by hand but you want to tighten it pretty well to stop any dripping.

Bunnings sell an adjustable wrench to fit it for $22. If you buy it then it will last you forever. You could always return it for a refund saying it was the wrong one later .....

I wouldn't do that myself ...

Turn the tap off at the wall. Mains can stay on.

When you are done just pour some food dye or a blue loo thing into the cistern and leave it for a while. You will soon see if there is any water leaking into the bowl. Can be a very fine leak.

I am sure the cistern comes with all the washers you will need. Buy one of the rubber seals (black or white to suit) that seal the pipe into the rear of the toilet bowl. You will see what I mean if you take a look but I can't think of the name of them. They are less than $5 and worth chaging while yoiu have it apart.

Learning how to fix all the bits and pieces in a toilet is actually quite a useful skill. None of it is hard or expensive and saves you a lot in plumbers costs.

I am confident you can do it!

lol at tradies knocking of 10% for cash payments-how generouse of them :rolleyes:

You save 10%, they save 50% in tax...lol. Pack of thieves...

The big nut at the bottom can sometimes be loosened by hand but you want to tighten it pretty well to stop any dripping.

Defiantly should only be hand tightened (strong hands;)) with the new seal in place. If you use a wrench you run the risk of over tighten and distorting the new seal.

Bunnings sell an adjustable wrench to fit it for $22. If you buy it then it will last you forever. You could always return it for a refund saying it was the wrong one later .....

You may need the wrench to undo the current one although it's not really necessary if you can pull the pipe out of the fitting on the bowl.

You will in all likelihood need to cut the new pipe to length although you can use the old pipe if everything lines up.

I wouldn't do that myself ...

Turn the tap off at the wall. Mains can stay on.

When you are done just pour some food dye or a blue loo thing into the cistern and leave it for a while. You will soon see if there is any water leaking into the bowl. Can be a very fine leak.

I am sure the cistern comes with all the washers you will need. Buy one of the rubber seals (black or white to suit) that seal the pipe into the rear of the toilet bowl.

The cistern also comes with new rubber bowl connections either the internal or the external booty. Suggest you use the external booty type - gets a better seal. The pipe need to be fitted into the bowl fitting first as it is near impossible to fit once the cistern is in the way.

You will see what I mean if you take a look but I can't think of the name of them. They are less than $5 and worth chaging while yoiu have it apart.

Learning how to fix all the bits and pieces in a toilet is actually quite a useful skill. None of it is hard or expensive and saves you a lot in plumbers costs.

I am confident you can do it!

Some additional comments.

Cheers

Back