Getting rid of 2nd toilet

Hey folks,

Just after some feedback on an idea I am proposing. Our current ppor has a small WC off the laundry that has a toilet and a 100mm recess for a shower including incoming pipework (incomplete reno from previous owner (all on suspended slab)). The place also has no storage other than BIR in bedrooms. The mrs is getting the s**** with having no where to store any linen/towels/vaccuum cleaner/other misc items. I'm considering removing the toilet and putting shelving to create some storage space. The area is roughly 3.5m x 1m

I guess the toss up from a value point of view is weather to have:
a) some storage space
or
b) a second toilet and shower in the house (does require a bit more work and some plumbing + no storage

FYI It's a 3br wb house in Minmi (Newcastle LGA)

Any thoughts?

Hey folks,

Just after some feedback on an idea I am proposing. Our current ppor has a small WC off the laundry that has a toilet and a 100mm recess for a shower including incoming pipework (incomplete reno from previous owner (all on suspended slab)). The place also has no storage other than BIR in bedrooms. The mrs is getting the s**** with having no where to store any linen/towels/vaccuum cleaner/other misc items. I'm considering removing the toilet and putting shelving to create some storage space. The area is roughly 3.5m x 1m

I guess the toss up from a value point of view is weather to have:
a) some storage space
or
b) a second toilet and shower in the house (does require a bit more work and some plumbing + no storage

FYI It's a 3br wb house in Minmi (Newcastle LGA)

Any thoughts?
It's only a small area,if the family gets bigger the extra toilet would be handy ,but if the Mrs is not happy then you can bet you you will not be you can seal all the plumbing off ,make a simple storage area,then down the track you can bring the system back on-line,costs of lot of money for an extra toilet to be installed..

Can I just ask, how expensive and difficult it is to add toilet to existing dwelling with floating (concrete) foundation.

combined the laundry, toilet room?

i have dealt with it a few ways.

I put a laundry unit in a bathroom, basically a fitted cabinet with a 600mm space for a front louder, 400mm built in sink and a bench with a folding top that fliped down to hide it all away.

Had rental with the downstairs powder room being an old laundry that had almost 1 wall of cupboards so about 1.8m of cupboard then 1.2m of laundry. All behind bifold cupboards.

In a rental with bifolds off the bathroom for the laundry, the only reason it doesn't work is because there are no shelves in the laundry.

Most people think storage rooms but in my opinion what people really need are storage shelves and cupboards. A slightly odd hoby of mine is designing storage/kitchen/laundry spaces ...

Keep the toilet!

They're expensive and a second toilet is a great thing to have.

I have very little storage, so I know how your wife feels, but if you put to your mind to it you can find creative ways to get more storage into a house, like shelves/cupboards above doors, beds with drawers for linen, coffee tables and sofas with storage in them etc.

I would be looking at other options 1st.
For example in the laundry is there a dryer sitting on the floor?
A cupboard under that and raise it to eye height would be an option if it is.

I know exactly how your wife feels - so many modern houses are being built with practically no storage but a small linen cupboard - nowhere for things like the vacuum cleaner and fan and sewing machine and ironing board etc. Drives me nuts.

However - to me a 2nd toilet is more important (especially when the man of the house disappears right on getting kids ready for school time) and I would look at other options first. Is there a bedroom backing onto a hall that you can punch a cupboard thru to? Is there room in the garage? Is there a doorway around which you can build some cupboards? Can you rejig the laundry (dryer on wall over washing machine and get rid of tub) to create some room for a cupboard?

If there is a 1000 deep recess for a non existent shower, can you not just build a cupboard in the recess?

Keep a toilet! and take a trip to Ikea for storage solutions. They are masters with really creative and cheapish storage solutions and note that there is so many other ways to store stuff than in the laundry.

Thanks for the responses. I do like the second toilet as it has no seat at the moment and the other toilets seat doesnt stay up so it's a real "mans" toilet:D
There is not alot of other places to store stuff other than the bir in each room but they are just about chokers with all our gear (mainly the mrs clothes!) We've decided on a laundry revamp and leaving the 2nd toilet/shower (needs a a bit of work still)
Thanks all!

Back