Getting started - Buyer's Agents and Accountants

Hi all,

Am new to this forum and looking forward to soaking up and sharing info! Am just getting my head around property investing and looking to make my first pure investment purchase this year.

For all those that have already dived into property investment I was wondering whether any of you used a Buyer's Agent to get the ball rolling for the first one and if so, could you/ would you recommend any in Sydney?

Once you found a property you were interested in, did you see an accountant first or do the figures yourself? Can anyone recommend a good IP savvy tax accountant in Sydney?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts, Merlot :)

I guess it depends on your current financial standing and how serious you want to get as a property investor.

If you have so much surplus cash that you always want to keep an arms length from your properties you can hire a team to do it all for you but if you want to really understand all of the aspects of investing, how they can effectively be utilised in conjunction with each other and know that your best interests are being looked after, I would suggest doing the feasibility and buying yourself. It might take longer to begin with, instead of getting the ball rolling immediately, but you will come out the other side prepared and confident in the knowledge of what you are doing and more importantly why.

I'm happy to second Rolfs nominations.

I would suggest that before jumping in, you need to get a better understanding of what sort of strategy is going to work for you. It's great that you're educating yourself on the forum, you need to do a lot more of this and figure out what sort of approach is going to best suit your ability.

Consult a mortgage broker who understands investment strategy. This will give you a better understanding of your capabilities to invest and will start you on the path on a strategic direction.

Once you've got some ideas of a way forward, then you can talk to an accountant to determine the most appropriate structures, and be able to talk more specifically with buyers agents about your requirements.

I agree with Peter you definitely need a better understanding of your strategy.

It is hard to say without knowing your financial circumstances, however in most cases an accountant can add considerably value from both a long and short term planning perspective.

Mortgage brokers are able to help you understand your borrowing power and buyer's agents should definitely provide advice on your property investment strategy.

Thanks so much guys, will keep these recommendations handy for when I've built my knowledge base up. This forum is an excellent starting point, particularly to learn from other people's experiences!

Back