Getting Started

W

WebBoard

Hush Hush don't tell anyone-Its a Secret.
Date: 19 Oct 2000
Time: 07:12:41

I thought I will try another topic of discussion. As you all know we are about 1 year into this property thing and loving it. The only strange thing we have encountered is the average persons attitude towards what we are doing.At first when we bought our 1st IP we were really excited and we told and showed some friends and lo and behold its "negativity".

Too small, points in the wrong place, roof not painted properly, etc. Better to buy in this suburb, Oh why did you buy HERE. Suddenly we are not as positive but doesn't matter we say. We will see you all in 10 years from now.

Then when we bought IP no 2 we only told a minority of friends this time and it was like "oh my god where did you get the money, you must be rich". We rave on and on about HOW TO DO IT and it falls on deaf ears. We haven't heard from this particular couple for about 7 months and previously they used to come around all the time. So we have discovered that people that are not financially literate and aware are envious, jealous and negative of what you are trying to achieve.

We have not told the in-laws or some siblings at all because when we hypothetically mentioned it , it was all SO NEGATIVE that I never ever lose my temper but gee the subject got so heated that my whole chest was pumped up. Comments like you will lose your house, you need a deposit, you need to pay it off, etc. My explanation of the new rules just would not register.

Now that we are planning our 4th property (our 3rd is our home) we are NOT SHARING THIS WITH ANYONE} Its all secrecy. Average people just do not understand.They do not understand trying to do things differently and they do not want to take the risk.They are happy being average.(ie. working for the money and paying off the dream home for 25 years).

So the point is that we now have to conduct our affairs in secret and cannot share our thoughts or ideas with friends and family. I think this is a pity for them because they are the ones that will lose out on the chance to achieve financial freedom. As for sharing our ideas and receiving advice thankyou again to all the forum members. Its nice to know we CAN TALK TO SOMEONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
DuncanM

Reply: 1

Re: Hush Hush don't tell anyone-Its a Secret.
Time: 09:55:04

People just don't like having their failings glaringly highlighted by the proactivity of members of their own social group.

I love talking to people who are doing better than I am doing or people further into the process. I think its one of the key things that you need to do in order to succeed. Friends/Family who don't want to know about it, or get offended etc are just cementing their own financial position in place..

We learnt very quickly which friends were interested and which weren't. We love helping those friends who are interested in learning more and have helped 2 of them into their first IP's.

What I get really peeved at is people who are doing NOTHING telling me what I should be doing instead of property, I've had suggestions of Wine investment and Pine Plantation Investment in the last week alone, both from people who have huge consumer debt, leased vehicles, living in rental accommodation AND yet have very high paying jobs.

Great topic! Duncan.

Residential Property Record Keeping Software.

http://www.otter-software.com.au

Owen

Reply: 1.1

I know how you feel...but there are good responses too
Time: 09:27:49

Sometimes I can get real resistance from people when I mention IP investing. It still seems that the subject of money is taboo for so many people.

Some friends are interested though and have asked my how I am doing it. I tweek their interest a bit and then give them a list of books and website addresses to read. One friend stayed with me and my partner for 7 weeks with a broken ankle and had no choice but to overhear our IP conversations. He asked a few questions and the next thing you know he's asking us to help him with buying a place for himself to live in. 50 years old and never owned a place before. It was really satisfying helping him out and he's very happy. Good karma. The friends who don't want to know will ask when the time is right for them.

Now for something completely different....workmates into the share market. I posted these 2 funny stories on another forum but though they are worth repeating here.

I'm sitting in the sun at work drinking coffee and the workmates are discussing a company they had all bought shares in and how badly it's doing. Seems they bought at $1.75 per share and it's now worth $0.58!!! I asked what are they doing to make the company share price go up? Quizzical looks followed so I asked again. The answer of course was there is nothing they can do so I replied I had just repainted the inside of one of my IP's and added $5000 to it's value.

Next, one of my workmates commented it doesn't matter as his share portfolio had finally hit $10K (his first goal) after ONLY putting in $4K. So I said that's what my latest IP cost me too. And I'm earning an income from it.

LMAO big time!!!!!

Caroline

Reply: 1.1.1

Time: 07:45:03

I think that people go down different paths in their lifetime at different times and different rates. At the moment it seems important to me to provide a financially secure future for my family. I'm open to how I go about doing that whether it be IPs, shares, or business.

My advice to you and your wife, is unfortunately that until people are ready to hear what you are saying they wont hear what your saying. Wait until they approach you and then you can share your success with them.

I would love for everyone to be financially successful - but they have to want it too.

I think though that it's a shame when I too feel that I can't share my knowledge with family members - because we're just not on the same wave length. I do enjoy sharing experiences with those on this forum that are obviously willing and on the same path.

AnnonymousCoward

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Time: 07:35:26

Yes I found a similar situation. Now my rule is to only discuss RE matters with people who have similar aims. I find that when people are negative ( and a person has done your research ) I ask very specific questions or make specific statements until the person realizes in a gentle way, that you know what you are talking about and they do not. ie some one says "this place is too small" I would say, "Maybe for you, but I can (or am)rent this to 3 pensioners for $X which gives me a return of Y which is much better than XYZ etc"

Obviously you will find that over time you will acquire new friends who are heading the same way ( investment wise ) as you.

Gee Cee

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Re: Hush Hush don't tell anyone-CAN I RELATE TO THIS
Date: 20 Oct 2000
Time: 19:59:52

What a topic!!!!

I can most certainly relate to this. I will try not go on to long.

Back in 1978 I purchased my first IP.

A 2 b/rm fibro house @ $23000. My dad is a old fashioned type & thought I was off my tree. He said wait & prices will come down. Yeah sure! Fortunately for me within 12 months that old shack was worth $50000. So I bought another house or two and got really interested in real estate.

The workmates were just heading into their early twenties & all thought I was crazy too.

WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH 3 HOUSES, SELL UP NOW BEFORE THEY ARE WORTH NOTHING & BUY A NEW SANDMAN VAN.

Glad I never took their advice.

Then as I got more experience I ventured into bigger deals, Units/Flats/ re-furbishments. Out of area deals.

My dad thought I was crackers. My workmates , some aged 45+ had never done anything yet always bagged what I was doing. YOUR JUST A CAPALIST that thinks money is all there is.

Funny situation now is that I have not worked a Rat Race permanent job for over six years.

Every Christmas party when I see the former workmates they still say "You Are Only Interested in Money."

My Comment. Sure ! I no longer get up at 5am to head off for dayshift, I no longer go in for nightshift at 10pm. Neither do I answer and complain about every decision that the boss makes. Or worry about who is going to be retrenched next.

Yet you say I am just interested in making a $.

If I am so interested in making a $ why do I not have to be controlled by a boss or organisation?

My day consists of doing what I want to do. Not what I have to do. Yet you say I am controlled & a $ freak. SURE!

Anyway as to educating the young. My 14 month old twins have already been to the solicitors,project builders, bankers, credit unions, real estates offices, and anyone else that is involved in property investment & development.

[Actually I was at a auction a few weeks back and just as the thing got serious one of my little fellows yelled out a scream at the top of his voice.

The auctioneer was startled and I said back to him that "He only wanted to go up by $5000 and not $10000. That got the crowd laughing like crazy and really put the auctioneer off.]

There is no way that they will be fed negative vibes as I was.

OK I will not be pushing them into a forced direction but they will certainly always relate to how things are. They are going to believe that almost anything is possible if you want to go for it.

In finishing I can still remember when I was about 10 I said to my parents I would like to build houses and sell them to make money. Their comment. That is to hard you are not a builder.

Just goes to show that it can be friends, parents, family or workmates but there will always be enough pessamistic comments to make you feel like giving up.

Thanks to the Net & Forum Sites like this, along with gettogethers we can now find people a bit different from the norm. Therefore giving positive information and feed back that would 3 years ago never have existed.

Regards, Gee Cee

(I said it would go on)

Gary

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: Hush Hush don't tell anyone-CAN I RELATE TO THIS
Date: 21 Oct 2000
Time: 14:58:30

Yes a interesting topic. After dabbling for a few years, I decided about 10 years to really get serious about getting myself some passive income. So for a number of years lived a pretty austere lifestyle, while quietly building up investments. Anyway, that has only really started to come to fruition in the last couple of years where I could live solely off only the investment income.

But about 4 years ago I also started up a software/internet company, which is now generating some good profits. So everyone assumes that my apparent increase in lifestyle is due to the company, when in fact I am living off my investments, and have barely touched my company profits.

Now while people think I am earning my lifestyle by working they are all very positive and happy, but I'm sure that if they knew I was in fact living off 'unearned' investment income, I would get reactions like you describe. Best just to leave them in the dark.

Gary

PeterL

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 12:59:07

It was Kiyosaki who said "tell me who your 5 closest friends are, and I will tell you where you will be in 5 years.

Its interesting to know that we all have the same thoughts on this subject. I was called a capitalist at work and money hungry at work and now I have vowed never to share my knowledge at work.

Being called money hungry is the furthest thing from the truth. I have worked so hard to acquire the knowledge and wisdom and especially the courage to do what I am doing.Why do people hold it against you? I guess its just human nature.

Anyway this has been such a great topic for discussion.

Trish

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: tall poppy syndrome& ignorance
Time: 08:26:10

It's called tall poppy syndrome & ignorance!

I too have given up trying to explain. It's amazing how many people "forget " to pay or expect more expensive presents when they hear of our investments & want the great tips in shares but are not prepared to work hard for the knowledge. Because IP's & the sharemarket occupy most of my time(waking & asleep) I find it difficult to talk to these people about things I do during the day & now they think I am stupid because I can't talk about the latest fashion accessory or other such important topic.

Its ok! I'll have the last laugh in the long run!!! We all will!! Trish

Lee T

Reply: 2

Time: 01:12:25

Hey Peter,

You have just described the exact situation I now find myself in.

After enduring many negative opinions, I too joined the Secret Squirrels Club.

Family and friends thought I was either too rich (ha) or too foolish (ha ha) to purchase investment properties.

I finally lost my temper with one relative and gave him a property investment seminar he wouldn't forget. He then admitted he was always frightened to take the risk associated with property.

He now offers suggestions instead of criticism.

Some will support you, some will join you and some will leave you.

Believe in what YOU DO, not what OTHERS THINK :)

Good Luck, Lee T

Anthony C

Reply: 2.1

Time: 11:40:15

I'm waiting for the day for one of my family members to come up to me and say "So Anthony, Tell me more about your IP, how did you do that". From now on I have vowed not to say another word unless they bring up the topic.

I have spoken to many work colleges and friends, and most will look at you in contempt and think Capitalists, but a few will come back ask some questions. Some have got excited, but then sidetracked with "other" deals of a lifetime. Goodluck. I think some people are afraid of the unknown, Education and knowledge is power. We should be compassionate and think back to time when just before we bought our first IP. I have one close friend who has got his approval to borrow money and is currently looking for his first IP, i will give him all the help he wants.

My partner and I are members of the secret squirrel club and will bask in the knowledge of we did it ourselves, that's really the most important thing. And if anyone wants in then no problem... We have met some really lovely people along the way, it is definitely an adventure. Who was it that said something about your future can be seen by the 10 best friends you currently have. If any anyone can remember this one then please post it.

Regards Anthony C

P.S. Some Chinese Proverbs:

Measure your success by what you had to give up in order to achieve it.

Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.

Don't judge people by their relatives.

Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

AndyM

Reply: 2.1.1

Date: 25 Oct 2000
Time: 23:00:44

Oh my god! Can I relate to all of this or what. Anthony, loved the proverbs, I also have decided to join the secret squirrels club and speak only when spoken to but it's hard, I just get soooo excited. A quote from a book I recently read by Robert ALLEN that I really related to and now live by.......

"Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth and he thinks your greedy. Pay no attention he simply doesn't understand."

Robert G Allen Author of Creating Wealth.

Go secret squirrels!

Oh if anyone's interested, I've just bought my 4th i/p and I'm hoping to buy my fifth in the next few months. You too can do it. What you do is refinance your existing................... Sorry I know I said I wouldn't talk about it, but I don't know if I can stop myself. I need help!

PeterL

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Secret Squirrels Club
Time: 06:07:36

To Lee T I think you have just started something without realising.(chuckle chuckle) I WILL join your Secret Squirrels Club (cool name)

O.k so what have you got in store for your club members. (Start plaaaannnniiinnnnnggggg)

Lee T

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Re: Secret Squirrels Club
Time: 21:44:42

Hey Peter,

Now you've put me on the spot :)

I think this forum is probably the best club for Secret Squirrels to air their investment issues.

If you have a win, let us all know, at least everyone tuning in would understand the efforts you have made ( and congratulate you as well! :)

You may also be surprised to find that some relatives or friends are already secret squirrels.

I found one!

Best of Luck, Lee T

Geoff1

Reply: 3

Time: 21:48:48

hey, I know where you are coming from...

in a way I find it easier to give seminars to strangers than to friends....

I normally don't even tell them what I do...

only if they ask...my family I have given up on...

my brother has no IP's at all ...

he knows what I do ...and here I am with IP knowledge that could make him very wealthy

its a mystery

geoff1

Pierre

Reply: 3.1

Time: 12:38:24

Funny that about the family thing you mention Geoff. I was listening to John Fitzgerald a couple of months ago and he mentioned his brother was not really keen on this property investment thing. Amazing really considering Fitzgerald built his wealth through IPs to his $60 million plus business today.

Mmmmmmm $60million ......

Gary

Reply: 3.1.1

Time: 12:21:46

Speaking of your seminar... I have a friend who I have been trying to talk into doing some investing (in anything) for some time, and I managed to get her to go to your seminar the other night. And it looks like that has been enough to get her to actually 'take the plunge'. I think what finally did it was that you are an 'ordinary' person, and the other people she met there were also people just like her. She finally realised that average people can actually choose whether or not to be 'wealthy'. A lot has to do with self-confidence - if other people just like her can do it, then so can she.

So thanks for the seminar, and please take the 'ordinary' comment as a compliment.

Gary

Geoff 1

Reply: 3.1.1.1

Time: 00:13:00

Hi gary,

I think I have put 2+2 together...

a lady rang me today to book into the Wed 25/10 Property Success Workshop.

She seemed to have a good attitude but when I questioned her about her equity and ability to buy property she said ...

her home had gone backwards in value since she had bought it...

and she had a substantial mortgage and NO equity!

I said OK what about income... and her reply showed the key ...

she said "I would 'like to think' that I would be able to earn $25- $30,000 next year"

(she had an injury that was affecting her income...

I said ...how about we turn that around and set a firm written down goal of $50,000 and maybe you might undershoot and get $45k and maybe not...

I said about 8+years ago I set what I thought was a silly goal for an unemployable ex public servant...it was $3million in 2000...

hey ...and do you know we have just hit...$3million in 2000....

damn I should have set the bar higher

( now I have...a lot higher)...you do get what you ask for and I believe that lady with the right attitude and belief can get to where she wants to go...

she has to ask for it though...

I believe she will make it...well done gary for getting her to look out side the square.

Make sure she keeps on track

regards geoff

ps did my 2+2 =4 ?

Marshall

Reply: 4

Date: 05 Nov 2000
Time: 15:05:32

Peter - firstly, a fantastic posting.

From a personal perspective thanks to the experiences and teachings of Jan Somers, Robert Kiyosaki and other successful investors I have been able to purchase my first investment property and still been able to retain a small share portfolio (when 12 months ago I thought it not possible to get started with as little as $10,000 for a deposit on a $200k property).

A number of friends have mentioned in passing that they would like to speak with me about how I managed to purchase this property - none have pursued this with any conviction. I have distributed countless books as birthday or XMAS presents or simply as a start to interested family members or friends - Building Wealth through Investment Property, Cash Flow and the Richest Man in Babylon to name but a few.

To this day, I know that not one gift has been read. When my close friends start sharing share tips I switch off - it is not possible to share knowledge and experiences with people who are not willing to learn.

They say, Marshall you were lucky - there are very few good deals out there......how would they know if they don't go out and look.

As time goes on, my heart sinks as I see my closest friends spending exorbitant amounts of money on consumer items, clothes, cds etc - at the same time saying I cannot afford a property.

Although it seems I have missed the investment gathering that is underway as I type in Sydney - I will attend the next one as I can't wait to hear some experiences of other people that have pushed their fears to one side and have begun to invest for their future - and present!

Time to stop rambling...?

Thanks again Peer - and all others that contributed to this fantastic posting!

Back