Getting Started

W

WebBoard

Analysis Paralysis! Help!?
Date: 24 Jan 2001
Time: 08:21:14

Hi all, hope you can help as I just can't let go of this one.

Here's the scenario; young exec. 30 something, earning reasonable money (60k), spending 5% more than income, wife (at home) 2.2 kids, mortgage of 150k on 350k home, no other debts other than credit cards, has some super and making the minimum contributions. Both realise that they are going backwards.

I've introduced him to the concepts of IP's with intention of helping them out of the rat race, sent them both off to any and every seminar that comes to town as education (with instructions not to do anything without talking to me first!). I've lent them my extensive collection of books, videos, magazines, spread sheets, etc. on investing in IP's and other areas. Given them pep talks and encouragement. Played Cashflow 101 with them, even lent them the game. Shown them this forum but they don't visit. Introduced them to brokers, bankers, and others. Even shown them case by case examples of how I've done it just to prove how easy/realistic it is.

The net result is .......... nothing, zip, zero?! Yes it has all been taken seriously and studied but they won't move/ take action. This has been going on for about a year now. I haven't been able to change there mind set. You know the old "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink".

I suppose I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience, but with a break through and I'd like to know how you did it.

Why can't I forget about it and consign them to the financial scrap heap of life and move on?? Because they are family!!

Regards, Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Manny

Reply: 1

Re: Analysis Paralysis! Help!?
Time: 12:39:11

How about getting them to invest $1000 in a managed fund & arrange through the fund so that $100 goes out of his pay packet & into this fund (there are many managed funds out there that offer great return on investment, kills any bank account)... this would be the start & as they see their capital/$$$ grow, it may be all the encouragement they need to take the next step to purchase an IP...

Mike

Reply: 1.1

Time: 11:30:06

Hi Michael,

You certainly have a dilemma on your hands and I suspect that you have already succeeded by planting a seed that may bear fruit eventually. As with IP's, growth requires time. I started investing in IP's at the age 40 and I believe others have started much later and still benefited.

I suspect their current procrastination may be sourced in your snapshot of them: "young exec. 30 something, spending 5% more than income". Underline the words, "young" and "spending". In the book: "The Millionaire Next Door" by Stanley and Danko, there are seven attributes of wealth creators. I'll just mention three that are applicable here: 1. They live well below their means, 2. They allocate their time, energy, and money efficiently, in ways conducive to building wealth, 3. They believe that financial independence is more important than displaying high social status. Does this young couple fit this profile? The authors of the book conclude that: "Building wealth takes discipline, sacrifice, and hard work. Do you really want to become financially independent? Are you and your family willing to reorient your lifestyle to achieve this goal? Many will likely conclude they are not."

Interesting, isn't it, that Australia has one of the largest home ownership rates in the world, but few people are willing to do anything with their built-up equity. I also have relatives not working their equity.

My advice is now that you've planted that seed, just let them know that when they are ready, your door is always open. In the meantime, there are plenty of people on this forum who are trying to get out of the rat race and need the support of selfless people like yourself and others.

Regards, Mike

Toula

Reply: 1.1.1

Time: 10:05:29

Michael,

I suppose all you can do is try - which you've done more than just try by the looks of it.

We have just purchased our first IP and have not benefited from fist hand experience except our own mistakes already only 3 months into our first purchase (other than researching media and forums like this). This post won't help you help them but knowing you're on this forum sure helps me! (even if we're not family)

Goodluck with them and your ventures.

KeithE

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Date: 25 Jan 2001
Time: 00:02:48

Hi Michael

Try bringing them to the next Cashflow function, to meet the average aussies that are making a go of it and building their wealth through IP's. I attended my first one on the weekend and what a great pleasure it was to meet like minded people, it was good to put names to faces. The enthusiasm and knowledge gained from talking to everybody is enough to to make anybody join in with IP wealth creation.

KeithE

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Time: 07:36:57

Thanks Keith, I did try to bring them along but the excusitis came out ............ maybe next time. Michael

Mike

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 12:30:21

Hi Michael,

Speaking of "excusitis", here is a tid-bit from Jan Somers' Story by Story (page41):

"A survey recently asked people their attitudes towards investment. The reason was government concern that too few people were investing for their future. The most common responses in the age groups were:

18-24 Too early to start investing. Will do it later.

25-44 Too busy with kids and mortgages. Will do it later.

45 & over Too late to invest.

The fact is, it is never too late to start investing. And with the old age pension as we know it under increasing pressure, anything you do at any age will make you significantly better off than having done nothing at all."

Regards, Mike

Robert

Reply: 2

Time: 11:59:04

G'day Michael

Firstly I have to say the following may sound like a plug but actually isn't... (make of it what you will)

The Wife has a book out called "The Wifes Budget Book", I am actually in the process of starting this style of budget after buying the book. It gave both myself and my partner a real shock to see how much we really earn and how much is spent of lifes luxuries. As we are high income earners we are fortunate to be able to cut back, the first place that got cut back for us was alcohol (damn)...

But I digress, the book has helped my partner and I see a clearer direction for our financial/budgetry future. You may want to talk to The Wife a bit more about it.

Cheers, Robert

Michael Croft

Reply: 2.1

Time: 12:34:04

Hi Robert,

I saw TW's budget book at the Cashflow Canberra day, I confess!! I dismissed it as just another budgeting system, variations on a theme of the ones I already have. I'll apologise to TW when next I see her and buy a copy as I'm sure it won't be ordinary. Regards, Michael

Robert

Reply: 2.1.1

Time: 12:42:44

Hi Michael

Wow, bet you never thought a topic like you posted was going to receive so much attention so quickly.

It's good to see everyone wanting to get out of the rat race acknowledges the fact that it has to be done with a budget, even if it only for disciplinary reason.

Robert

Gee Cee

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Time: 21:02:33

I have worked hard since 1979.

Now I can afford a few drinks to reduce the stress of being Mr MUM and you say reduce $$ on drrriiinkies.

Robert I know what you mean. I have friends that earn around $80k each. They have old cars a minimal mortgage on a small home yet never have any money.

Talk to them about setting up a budget and their comment.

We both have degrees why do we need a budget.

Gee Cee

P.S. I bet TW still budgets for a slab or 2 a week. Although she is more than likely into the Ruskies now days.

Robert

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Date: 26 Jan 2001
Time: 11:48:44

G'day Mr MUM

I wasn't a fan of cutting the budget on alcohol either, I was nearly in tears....

But I cut it from $60pw down to $30. SO I do allow myself a slab every week. Though thanks to GST a slab now cost $30.... I couldn't cut it out completely, though I could cut it to a more realistic amount.

Robert

The Wife

Reply: 3

Time: 10:39:42

Hiya Michael,

You won't believe how many times that same scenario has happened to me!

I can tell you what worked for me.

They are spending more than they earn, and they know it, until they get that under control, everything else will only be "something everyone can do cause they don't have the same debt problem we do"

I always give them a tight budget, and I check it with them every month.

Simple, but it works?

Hope that helps.

Michael Croft

Reply: 3.1

Time: 11:03:27

Hi TW,

Yeah, you're probably right (of course you are!). I offered help with a budget earlier on but got the "it's too invasive" type messages. So backed off and just gave them budgeting type manuals ......... maybe tis time to try again. Thanks, Michael

Gary

Reply: 3.1.1

Time: 10:57:46

I'd back that up. Get them on a budget that forces them to save money into a bank account somewhere. Once they realise they can save money, it makes it much easier to go to the next step and start investing money.

Gary

skorpio

Reply: 4

Time: 09:36:47

I think it is the fear of debt that is stopping these people and the combining factor of no motivation to improve their lives. It sounds like they are quite happy to be in the rat race and I think you have been generous enough to flood their minds with knowledge. The fact that they have not acted upon your advice/information only goes to show that they are part of the majority that do not want to be financially intelligent/independent.

We have tried to spread the word with our friends also but to no avail. They either say it is not the right time or they just say "gee your lucky". Luck as you know has nothing to do with it.

We have now given up on our friends and family and do not discuss this topic anymore. We had to get out of our comfort zone and go into the unknown(we had no one like you Michael to teach us the ropes.)

Your friends and family are lucky to have you, but they just to not realise it at the moment. Everyone takes their own path in life. Let them Be and do not force the issue anymore.

Michael Croft

Reply: 4.1

Time: 10:28:11

I know you're right - just let go and it will happen. The point is though they are not happy with their lot, so muggins here thought that he would help. I don't like failing at anything and there is an answer out there somewhere!?? Thanks, Michael

Alston

Reply: 4.1.1

Time: 12:18:36

Michael

Perhaps another approach may help. I have a similar (actually almost identical) situation with a close family member. This is what I am doing and why.

I believe that getting debt under control and controlling spending is a personal decision that only they can make. It appears that they have made it clear that they are not REALLY ready to do this. Only they can make this happen

However, in the mean time, you may be able to get them to build a parachute. Forget IPs at this stage (ouch, that hurts to say) as they take too much effort and personal attitude. If you can get them to set up an AIP using a good value focused mutual fund and get the payments automatically deducted from their account (some employers will even allow this type of contribution as a payroll deduction) and the distributions automatically reinvested, then over time they will build themselves a parachute. They will need about $1000 to start and $100 per month. If they must, put this on their credit card. You may even need to fill the forms in for them, whatever it takes.

This will not stop them spend income +10%, but they should adjust to a slightly lower income. In the mean time, at least they will be building something. Seeing this asset build may also help them decide to take the other steps. When they finally decide to turn around, if at all, then at least they will have something.

The next step is probably the hardest for you. BACK OFF, it is their life and their call.

Good Luck

Sim

Reply: 4.1.1.1

Time: 11:13:15

If they are truly not happy with their lot, then you need to keep up the encouragement...

... but be careful with information overload. It can get too overwhelming when you spend too much time reading about "how to make it rich", and not enough time doing it.

My opinion is this:

1. They need their OWN motivation... you cannot motivate them no matter what !

2. They need to have goals, start with something small and achievable, but make sure they set bigger, long term goals.

3. They absolutely MUST get their (consumer) debt under control. Even before they start looking at investing, even before they look at saving, they must be able to BUDGET and stick to it !! That said, they don't have to wait until they're debt free to continue on to the next step, but they must be making positive progress.

4. Once debt is minimised, they must start paying themselves first... that is simply put aside money for saving, investing and tithing before they spend any money on living. That forces the budget into play, and helps them make great progress towards a more financially free future.

If they can reach this level of paying themselves first through some sort of Automatic Investment Plan (AIP) with consumer debt well and truly under control then I think they have achieved something wonderful, and you should be proud of them !

My advice... don't pester them to spend more money on advanced investment seminars... they need to walk before they can run.

There are two books I can thoroughly recommend to people in their position...

Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Robert Kiyosaki

Although US based, I think this is a wonderful story of learning financial common sense that applies everywhere.

Australias Money Secrets of the Rich; John Burley

This book has some excellent introductory chapters and is specifically tailored to Australia, with many, many references to Australian institutions and services that can help people reach their goals. It has some excellent information about reducing debt levels and the concept of paying yourself first.

Hope this helps ;-)

Sim'

Michael Croft

Reply: 4.1.1.1.1

Time: 11:24:08

Thanx

Since they came to me about a year ago I made the assumption that they were ready and I went in all guns blazing!! I'm nothing if not enthusiastic about converts. Yes I realised it was a mistake and I backed of a lot adopting the 'softly softly catchee monkey' approach. Regards Michael

Back