Getting the wrong pay rate

Hi All
I work for a very large company and l have now found l was getting the wrong rate of pay for a few months last year. I have all the documents to prove it. They owe me:D
So now do l go direct to the company [with a well worded letter]and ask to be re-imbursed the correct monies or should l bring in a 3rd party to sort it out?
I have raised the issue before with some lower management but was fobbed off.
In a general converstaion recently l have found another staff member in the same situation as myself.

How would you handle this?
cheers
yadreamin

definitely work your way up the chain of command, or go direct to HR or payroll if possible. Only once you have tried these avenues should you try sources outside the company.

good luck

Go to HR or the Payroll Manager with a view that it could be a glitch in their payroll.

Getting the correct pay is a sensitive issue.....this is the sort of things companies like to sort out quickly particularly if it is a multinational.

yep l would prefer it to be sorted without having to bring in a 3rd party.
We have all the paperwork to back up the mistake thats been made, so far our main problem is getting it accepted.:(
I will go to payroll to start with and then see what happens.
Hope its as easy as 1 2 3 all the moneys in our bank:D
thanks for the confidence
cheers
yadreamin

bugger the unions.

write a very concise, brief letter to your HR manager. explain the dates the pay was wrong, attach a copy of the payslips and ask for reimbursement.

if no response, take it straight to court. $21 here in WA for the small claims tribunal.

i recently found out that my employer was deducting around 100/wk more than they should've

was a pleasant surprise for me, extra 5k in tax return :D

yadreamin,

Tell the pay office that you needed to adjust your tax claim for last year and found out the payment wasn't correct for a few months. Tell them you have already contacted the ATO and they suggested for you to contact the pay office. Amazing how the mention of the ATO can get things sorted out very quickly. This also allows you to bring in a third party (ATO) if needed without seeming like a trouble maker.

i recently found out that my employer was deducting around 100/wk more than they should've

was a pleasant surprise for me, extra 5k in tax return :D

I used to do that on purpose years ago (i.e. get HR to take an extra $50 per week out of my pay), it was a form of enforced savings for me to get it back at tax time. I don't have to worry about this anymore. Thank you IP's !!!

yadreamin,

Tell the pay office that you needed to adjust your tax claim for last year and found out the payment wasn't correct for a few months. Tell them you have already contacted the ATO and they suggested for you to contact the pay office. Amazing how the mention of the ATO can get things sorted out very quickly. This also allows you to bring in a third party (ATO) if needed without seeming like a trouble maker.

I think this is a good idea if you can smoothly pull it off.

THE ATO has been mentioned by me and a very precise letter has now been posted to the HR and Payroll officer.
Will be interesting what pans out by the end of the week.
cheers
yadreamin

I used to do that on purpose years ago (i.e. get HR to take an extra $50 per week out of my pay), it was a form of enforced savings for me to get it back at tax time. I don't have to worry about this anymore. Thank you IP's !!!

well our employer does say that they deduct a bit extra to allow for misc income, i just didn't know it's that much

i guess for most people it's a good form of compulsory saving, and makes sure you don't end up owing money to ATO

5k is a bit too much though, i'll have to get them to change that

So, are they paying you the right rate ($per hour or $per annum) or simply taking out too much tax? If the latter, you will be getting a good tax return.

Back