Getting to know AUS!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know how you interstate investors got to know other states well enough to be able to buy there? This might sound incredibly obvious but did you just simply get on a plane & spend some time in other states?
I know you can learn a lot from forums like SS, but surely theres only so much you can get to know...?

I ask because I was born & raised in WA and have very little knowledge of the east coast, and was just curious how some of you guys get to know interstates so well. Do your jobs allow you to travel or you simply take a few holidays??

Cheers
Steve

You don't need to know areas that well to buy. It might be just a matter of identifying transport, schools, shopping, etc and see if the numbers stack up.

It probably means that you won't pick up bargains or properties genuinely below market for specific reasons, but each state has different economic cycles, and buying in the right stage of the cycle can profitable even if you don't buy below market.

There is also no valid reason why you cannot find an acceptable property in your area.This would make it possible for you to self manage if you chose to, thus saving lots of money.

There is also no valid reason why you cannot find an acceptable property in your area.This would make it possible for you to self manage if you chose to, thus saving lots of money.

But potentially limiting your buying choices and ending up with less property in the long run.

But potentially limiting your buying choices and ending up with less property in the long run.

Maybe, but I doubt it.
Sometimes I think it is more for bragging purposes.
You and I both know there are deals everywhere and in any market.
Other than the fact you may want to buy in other states, you don't need to.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

I'm yet to venture interstate, but was thinking about it next and would probably use a buyers agent. I think there are definately benefits. How about land tax? I'm betting having an agent manage a property interstate might be less costly than paying an increasing land tax debt in one state.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

I was referring to the self-management thing. I think if you self-manage, it limits your buying.

Longer term, land tax does have some impact. Looking at the last 10 years, different states have had very different markets.

I think there are definately benefits. How about land tax? I'm betting having an agent manage a property interstate might be less costly than paying an increasing land tax debt in one state.

You're comparing having a PM in another state to self-managing in your own city. How much is your time worth?

Of course land tax can become an issue.

And then there's the whole thing about having exposure to areas with differing economic conditions.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know how you interstate investors got to know other states well enough to be able to buy there? This might sound incredibly obvious but did you just simply get on a plane & spend some time in other states?
I know you can learn a lot from forums like SS, but surely theres only so much you can get to know...?

I ask because I was born & raised in WA and have very little knowledge of the east coast, and was just curious how some of you guys get to know interstates so well. Do your jobs allow you to travel or you simply take a few holidays??

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Some buyers elect to use a buyers agent (easiest option) whilst other DIYers will elect to make a few trips, talk to other investors who've purchased in the area of interest, subscribe to local papers, talk to agents, PM's etc to build up a picture. Mind you, nothing replaces local knowledge and it can be tricky to "know" an area when considering it for an investment property.

To give you an example, I recently met a Tassie BA (via REBAA- the Real Estate Buyers Agent Association) whom I would use to purchase an IP myself if looking to buy down there. I simply don't have the time, the inclination or the knowledge to make a fully informed enough decision to purchase in Tassie and I'm a buyers agent myself. I know that he'll do the job as well as I would if I was a local and that's whats important for me.

In the end, it's about the type of investor you are, your availability in time and how confident you are when sourcing and negotiating interstate.

kidd, if it is your first or second IP, there's no doubt you'll feel more secure doing a lot of research yourself, then sighting the property. People who solely rely on a BA tend to have the confidence and knowledge to discern whether a BA is using good judgement.

Buying an IP is seriously a big deal. Don't pretend it isn't.
And remember your BA usually isn't going to be around to help you with property management troubles in 3 years' time. They pass on the risk of their recommendations to you.

Are you serious ? Your investement advice is to look at ability saving money on PM fees more so than looking for the better assett etc when deciding on an investment ?

Are you serious ? Your investement advice is to look at ability saving money on PM fees more so than looking for the better assett etc when deciding on an investment ?

Jaycee,
I don't joke when it is about money or properties.
Last Friday I quit work, and we live solely on our rental income.
We bring in $275K a yr in rent.
Do you think that would have happened if we paid a PM for our properties, when my employed income was $30K a year?
Rob (AlmostBob) always did all the repairs and maintenance he was capable of, and called in the tradies when necessary.

When you have a lot of properties, PM's cost a lot.

kidd, if it is your first or second IP, there's no doubt you'll feel more secure doing a lot of research yourself, then sighting the property. People who solely rely on a BA tend to have the confidence and knowledge to discern whether a BA is using good judgement.

Buying an IP is seriously a big deal. Don't pretend it isn't.
And remember your BA usually isn't going to be around to help you with property management troubles in 3 years' time. They pass on the risk of their recommendations to you.

Hi WW

Whilst it's admirable if you have the time to conduct the on-ground research yourself it's not always possible, hence the reason some buyers elect to use us if purchasing interstate or out of their familiarity zone.

As for ascertaining whether or not a BA is using sound judgement, by all means this is crucial and there are certain qualifying questions or criteria a buyer should be using to verify that the BA of their choosing is not only knowledgeable, but appropriately licensed, insured and experienced. I would suggest asking for recent references as well as a raft of other questions (ones that have already been covered in previous posts right here on SS- do a search to locate these) as, you're 100% right, it's a seriously big deal so why stuff it up by doing a half-cocked job? If you can't dedicate the time or resources then a BA can be the ideal choice.

As for PM choices, part of our service for investors involves interviewing local PM's and sending the transcripts of these to our buyers- there are no referral fees involved from any PM we have contact with so we avoid conflict of interest here. Naturally we recommend particular PM's who appear to pass our 12 question interview script with flying colours but we can't be held accountable for problems years down the track, as I'm sure you can appreciate. After all, PM's change offices, systems are overhauled by agency principals and increased management numbers affect individual attention. However, if a client contacts me years down the track to seek another recommendation or a solution to their current problem with a PM situation (as they have) I will always do my utmost to assist. It's part of our "after sales service".

I have a great dedication to my clients, both present and past and have maintained ongoing contact with several to date- not just on PM issues, but current market movement updates, tradie contacts, reno tips, selling agent advice etc. It may sound cliche but when you're doing something you truly love, it's easy to help out your clients, even when it's been months or years since the last contact.

Congratulations guys - HUGE acheivement !!! You're there. :)

.....or even just a few like us.

Thank you Dazz.
You got "there" first :)
Isn't it a wonderful feeling..
I emailed my former boss today and gave him suggestions on how to improve the department and some of the morale problems.
He emailed me back with a sincere thank you and well wishes.

Jaycee,
I don't joke when it is about money or properties.
Last Friday I quit work, and we live solely on our rental income.
We bring in $275K a yr in rent.
Do you think that would have happened if we paid a PM for our properties, when my employed income was $30K a year?
Rob (AlmostBob) always did all the repairs and maintenance he was capable of, and called in the tradies when necessary.

When you have a lot of properties, PM's cost a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I self mange, but I would never suggest to someone that is what will make my investing a success or a failure like you seem to,.

But a PM charges a %age of rent and set fees and no more, so same %age per property regardless of # of properties.

I think some investors have made it to financial freedom using PM's, so I am not as convinced as you that it is better to limit yourself to your own area just so that you can manage it yourself in order to succeed somehow while being blind to other possiblly better opportunities out thetre which could eclipse an expense of property manger's $3k pa bill

Last edited:
Land Tax

Deleted - Land tax covered already....read all before posting.

Nothing to see here move along move along.

Last edited:
We have bought both locally and interstate.. just doing the research ourselves. and also done research on a number of different places and not bought there!
I generally target a specific area for a reason... either through personal knowledge of the area (cause family lives there etc), or because I read something in the news that I think is going to result in property prices going up, or something like that. So, I'm never trawling through the whole country, except when we bought in Rockhampton, and then I was specifically looking for somewhere with high rental returns.. which it had at that stage. Right now, when I research, I'm also looking at areas where there is not an oversupply of rental properties.. so I keep an eye on the rental section of re.com as well.
When we were thinking about Rocky, we took a holiday there, so that we had some days to have a look around what was available. We didn't end up buying then, but it gave us a better idea of what was available. We also had family living there, who were able to give us an idea of the good/ bad areas.
Then we just looked on re.com and contacted agents. We ended up buying site unseen, based purely on location, price, rental return etc. But it turned out my brother in law had lived in that very property a couple of years earlier.
For me, the key is to keep an eye on the market in a specific area for several months at least to see what's happening in both the rental and sales markets. You don't want to make impulse decisions during a holiday, or just because you read something on a forum!
Good luck!
Pen

Back