Getting up early - I'm hopeless !!!

Blue light from TV's and computer screens, iphone/ipad/etc messes with your circadium rhythm. Too much TV before bed not good at all. Get to bed earlier, no later than 9.30pm.

And, yes, regular exercise. Nothing too stressful, just move often, and twice a week, work your way up to short sprints and or some heavy lifting for a few minutes at a time.

Enjoy the sunrise, it's the best time of day.:)

Bed before 9:30pm ?!!!

By the time I put my kids to bed, that leave me about an hour to do my own thing. Id get nothing else done hahaha....

I really think my issue is simple laziness... Goal for tomorrow morning is in the shower by 6:30am... Watch this space :D

Bed before 9:30pm ?!!!

By the time I put my kids to bed, that leave me about an hour to do my own thing. Id get nothing else done hahaha....

I really think my issue is simple laziness... Goal for tomorrow morning is in the shower by 6:30am... Watch this space :D

Nah, if you get up early you still have time to do your own thing ;)

PS: What's your own thing

Blue light from TV's and computer screens, iphone/ipad/etc messes with your circadium rhythm. Too much TV before bed not good at all. Get to bed earlier, no later than 9.30pm.
QUOTE]

Agree with this....have recently tried to adhere to not using any electronic items after 9.30pm (hard to resist tho)....did see something on TV recently about blue blocking glasses and how some people wear them before bed to filter out blue light....looks a bit weird but might do the trick else just jump into bed and read a good book for awhile to relax the mind.

I don't do it consistently, but when I do want to get up early, I can do it every time.
Sometimes when I need to get some extra work done, I may get up at 5:00am for a few days in a row, when normal get up time is around 7:30am.
The way I find works is to really commit to it the night before sleeping, then it's programmed into your mind and the body just gets up instantly as soon as the alarm goes off, and very often wake up 15 mins prior, it's really strange how it works.

I wake up and grab the dog and head straight out for a walk.

Within 2mins I am absolutely buzzing and ready for anything.

Keeps me moving, keeps my dog sane and generally good for all involved.

Dogs are great motivation for exercise.

The key is to go to bed early.
Get used to it and early mornings are easy.

I couldnt fathom still being in bed at 7.30 !
Missed the sunrise, missed your early morning exercise, end up late for work, stressed, road rage etc etc..

The key is to go to bed early.
Get used to it and early mornings are easy.

I couldnt fathom still being in bed at 7.30 !
Missed the sunrise, missed your early morning exercise, end up late for work, stressed, road rage etc etc..

^
^
^
What he said.

7.30 am is lunch time :D

I've been a morning person all my life, 93 % of it being in Melbourne with some very cold mornings. Up and at 'em early, exercise, meditate, and I am energized for the day.

Get rid of all electronic devices from the bedroom. If you use your phone as the alarm, put it in a far away corner of the room so you have to get up and either turn it off or hit snooze, although once you're up the latter may be less tempting. I would never have my mobile phone in the room next to me (my head) on a bedside table.

I had the same issue for all my life until about 18 months ago. School and work always just that tiny bit late.

There's a Jim Rohn you tube clip, about 7 seven minutes long called "are you doing all you possibly can". This really had a great impact on me.

There's are part in it where he imitates the inner mono-log I used to go through "what's a few more minutes, it doesn't matter much" then Jim chimes in "WRONG....IT DOES MATTER, IT WILL MATTER" great stuff :)

Anyway, since then I vowed never to touch the snooze button again. I moved the alarm so I need to physically get out of bed to turn it of. Then hit the floor for 10 push ups and 10 sit ups before I have time to think about it, automatically. I've added a few stretches now too.

Snooze button...worste invention ever! (For people like me;))

On the rising early thing, it's definitely one of the best things you can do.

I was up at 4am for quite a while, but it's 5:30am presently. Having that time to yourself is phenomenal. Easing into the day feels a million times better than rushing chaotically and that time can be used for anything, whether exercise, reading, work, meditation or just watching the sun rise and appreciating the fact you're alive.

When you've accomplished something before you even head to work, it's a great day.

4 days a week Im up at 3:55am for a ride. I have no trouble getting up at that time. :cool:

However, getting up at 6:00am to go to work is extremely hard. :(

I survive on 4-5hrs sleep a night, and a nap at my desk at work, or I come home at lunch for a bite to eat and a nap in my chair.

pinkboy

Too much exercise for you pinkboy, you are burning the candle at both ends.

And it shows in your sleep pattern. Evidence right there!:eek:

It has always been so.

I train between 10-30hrs per week, and work about the same. I think you're not quite getting what Im on about. Easy to get up to go for a ride, but a drag to have to go to work.

pinkboy....the best weeks are 30hrs riding and 10hrs working! :D

It has always been so.

I train between 10-30hrs per week, and work about the same. I think you're not quite getting what Im on about. Easy to get up to go for a ride, but a drag to have to go to work.

pinkboy....the best weeks are 30hrs riding and 10hrs working! :D

Time to sell up and park proceeds in a decent yielding shed or two and be a rent collector and go back to sleep...........or, should I say, hop on your bike :)

When I lived I Melbourne I always fell asleep late (anywhere between 1 - 3am) even if I turned the light out at midnight I'd just lie in bed wide awake then the early hours of the morning I'd fall off to sleep and then wake up about 6am for work totally buggered. If wasn't working I'd wake up about 11am feeling horrible. I always thought I was a night owl and just had a permanent crap sleep pattern.

Then, I was a guinea pig for Monash University and their sleep clinic for a trial for something they called 'delayed sleep phase disorder' which had to do with melatonin levels and exposure to light. Turns out my melatonin was all over the shop as my bedroom was in the front of my house and I always had the blockout blinds down to keep the privacy from the street so my bedroom was always dark and never had that light to trigger the wake cycle.

I then moved to Cairns when the sun rose early, bedroom at the back of the house, floor to ceiling Windows and lots and lots of natural light. For the first time in as long as I could remember I was waking up naturally about 7am and feeling awake and alive. I now go to bed about 11pm and actually feel like I get a good night's sleep. It's awesome as I never considered myself a morning person but have so much more day now.

The only time i set an alarm now is when I'm back in Melbourne when my old habits creep back.

I'm a night owl and hubby is up for work at 5.15am ... so I'm constantly tired.

No matter how tired I am, I just can't seem to fall asleep before 11pm - then his alarm goes off early and wakes me - and no matter how hard I try, the 6 hours sleep is just enough that I struggle to get back to sleep.

I'm an 8-hr sleep need-er. Can't wait until he retires and that darn alarm doesn't go off anymore - he can't wait either

Well I don't know you from a bar of soap but the first post I've read from you says you are back, still can't afford an IP. Then you mention being a bit overweight. Then someone suggests a solution about going to bed earlier but there is a reason you can't - the kids being up about 9pm so no time to self. A few mentions of why things can't change cause of wife too.

All of this to me gives me the armchair diagnosis of someone who will always have a reason why things never change in their life. Or one of those "One day...I'll...coulda/shoulda/woulda/gonna" types.

Is it true, I dunno? Only you know. Dump the excuses. Get the kids into a better routine so you get more sleep. Just get the $^&* up out of bed - I agree it is rude to be late. And take in all the advice here and surely you'd change your life enough to save for a small entry level IP somewhere.

Back