getting vinyl glue off

Daughter is renovating and pregnant and getting quite stressed about new kitchen going in. Had the worst job getting all the tiles out of the huge entry foyer as they had beenlaid on a 20cm bed of concrete. Now, the lino has been laid with the worst/best glue and is only coming off in bits and leaving the glue stuck to the concrete slab. She hates getting a grinder as it puts concrete dust all over the house and requires a massive clean up. Also, has anyone else heard that there could be asbestos in the glue, I have never heard of this but some are saying it could be so. Any other ideas for getting the glue up?

Hi fernfern,
Try a heat gun and scraper...As to asbestos in the glue,i dunno.If in doubt,where a mask.
Cheers Spades.

Yes - asbestos can be in the glue and in the lino. Depends on what was used at the time. Could be worth getting a quote from an asbestos removal company so you can find out how they would do it. A bit of googling would probably help too...

This is not a water based glue, could be a polurethane type. They cannot move it so I have just suggested they go over the top with cement sheeting and then tile over the top. The kitchen goes in next week so problem has to be solved asap

Where are you based fernfurn? We had similar concerns re asbestos glue to our floor in Brisbane but just got a sample tested for $30. Came back negative within 2 days so we could strip without any worries. There are a number of places that test for a nominal fee. In reality, asbestos contractors won't be able to tell for sure without testing but the unscrupulous will have no problem quoting excessive fees to remove it.

Yes - asbestos can be in the glue and in the lino. Depends on what was used at the time. Could be worth getting a quote from an asbestos removal company so you can find out how they would do it. A bit of googling would probably help too...

Ah carp,i didn't know that,i was green when i removed some old lino with a heatgun awhile back.
I shoulda wore a mask but know better now.

Back