Getting wholesale supplies for Renovation?

Hi all
To all the Renovation Gurus...

I have searched the PI Forum but did not find any posting on this topic, so i thought to raise the question.

Where can I get Whole sale supplies for Renovation Purposes?

And are there any group of people who for a nominal cost search for all these WholeSale supplies on your behalf?

Thanks so much for all your help. Its been great.
Khurram

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Khurram,

I assume from your previous posts that you're doing renos in Melb??? I haven't reno'd in Melb recently but
I've recently completed a reno in QLD. I got all my stuff cheeaaaapp as a result of negotiating - some of it is wholesale (thru a chappie who worked for me) and the rest through just resourcefulness, I guess. It can be done and I find it fun. So if you'd like to know more, give me an email - happy to talk.

Cheers

Jane P

Reply: 1.1

Hi Jane,Khurram.

jane i would love some info from you also - i too am in Brissy and you may have gotten onto some good outlets - Khurram, i have been amazed dealing with a company called The good Guys - i don't know if they are interstate or just Queensland.
They are a big warehouse type of set up and for white goods they have done the most amazing pricing. I went to the auctions got prices on brand new fridges etc - went to good Guys and they did so much better -e.g dishwasher a couple of hundred less and threw in installation and delivery etc. through my ex-work we had a deal with Retra Vision for cost plus 1% - the "goodies" bettered those prices continually. Obviously the more goods you can purchase at one time the more fabulous the prices. Wasn't there something on one of the current affair type shows recently about a guy who sits on the phone at home and does deals for you with company's - you tell him what your after and he got some great prices by knowing who to deal with and having the time to do the phoning. Someone may remember the details - he charged a poultry amount for his services.

Have fun

Denise

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi Denise
Where abouts are The Good Guys located in Brissie
Thanks Bob

Reply: 2

If any one is inrested in wholesale supplies for reno's in Brisbane please email me direct.

Cheers
Andre

Reply: 2.1

Hi Khurram,

A couple of years ago I purchased a magazine from the newsagents called Bargain Renovators Secrets. It has over 900 Melbourne outlets in it, as well a couple of articles on renovations.

After a search on the internet, I've managed to find it......although it's had a name change. It's now called 'The Melbourne Renovating Guide. It might be worth you having a look at it. They also have a Sydney version.

Their site is: http://www.universalmagazines.com.au/MagCats.asp?ContentType=MagCat&SubType=HomeRen

Happy Renovating,

Ruby
~To win you have to risk loss~

Reply: 2.1.1

Thanks to all who replied
Ruby, Denise and Jane

Ruby, I looked up the Mag. I will look through it and hopefully it will help.

If any of you remember the person in A Current Affairs that would be awsome to know.

And we do have the Good Guys, i didnt know they were that "good" but will check them out for sure. And the builder should get trader's discount anyways...right?

Thanks all once again. This will be a great help.

Khurram

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Hi Bob,
They never give you the best price straight up - haggle! Also look at delivery, installation etc. They can often do these after they have hit their bottom price as an extra incentive.
I just had a dishwasher installed i did not get from there, my husband bought it in what he thought was a sale, wish he would leave things to me! Cost $120.00 to have a plumber install it - 15 minutes work - the goodies had already offered installation on the one I was looking at from them.

Aspley - Christie homemaker crn Zillmere Rd - 36309700
1230 Logan Rd Mr Gravatt - 38495177
Discount Warehouse
HyperdomeHome Centre Loganholme - 38065611

Have fun
Denise

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Khurram,

Also, don’t discount places like Bunning’s for a deal, their 'already low prices' CAN be haggled, also, fill in their trader form so you get trade discount.

My best deal from Bunning’s? I wanted a cheap little whipper snipper, I asked an attendant to assist me with how they work, and then I discussed with him the pro's and cons and what HE thought they were all worth. I walked away with a $15 whipper snipper, the girl at the counter questioned the slip of paper, and the attendant was called up, and he agreed he gave it to me for $15, sold! YAY!

I always ask for a discount, I don’t always get it, but I always ask.

Cheers, TW

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

> I always ask for a discount, I don't always get it, but I always ask.

Wonder if it would work with the ATO?

Duncan.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.2

There is always the other way of getting your price down with some of these companies. You use there own company policies against them in the form of price matching to a competitor.

At the moment Bunnings and Hardware house match a competitor then take 10% off that price simply to have your business. I purchases a Webber BBQ through Bunnings late last year that I got from $210 down to $159 and a free cover thrown in simply by walking up the road and looking at a competitors price. I did however come back and drop the competitors price myself by $20, I knew that this price matching wasn't going to be followed up to much cause it was a very busy Saturday morning and the sales guy was to busy to make any phone calls.

Cheers,
Robert

Get your Property Inspection Reports @
http://www.CreativeFinance.com.au

Reply: 2.1.1.1.3

Kind of related to this topic, I've just finished a 3BR architect-designed beach house in a remote location incl fittings, finishes and freight for under $100K. It was my first building project so I'm sure I could do better, but here are a few things I did which saved $.

Firstly, I did a work contra with the architect in return for 'free' design/plans. I also used a private certifier to get building consent which is cheaper and faster than going through the council.

I engaged an 'on tools' carpenter to build the house for the cost of his labour only and I dealt directly with the the other trades re quoting and payments. It all went very smoothly - the guys were very professional and worked things out between themselves.

I supplied all the materials myself using my carpenter's account/influence whenever possible to get discounts of up to 60%. I'm finding now that I can have my own accounts with substantial builder's discount on the basis of this last job which is great!!

I engaged a QS/builder to do the quantities list and shopped around for timber in that frenzied period pre-GST. Amazingly, there was a price difference of $25K from the same list!! Also made savings on the windows and doors, fireplace, specially made fishplates, bolts, septic system etc etc by negotiating price and terms individually with every supplier and contractor.

It is true that all this took time which might have been put to better use in my business, but I really think the experience and the contacts I've made are very valuable given my interest in IP. And it's been fun!! I'm now embarking on a fairly major reno plus 2 new houses within the next 18 months.

Hope the above gets a few would-be builders thinking. I can't help noticing the huge amounts my friends seem to be paying for their renovations when they use a builder in the traditional way.

Back