GF builders - Perth

In WA, from August 2nd, Granny Flats can be rented out to non family members and can have 70m2 plus a deck or veranda. On 70m2, achieving a 2x1 should be easy.

Which builders are suitable to build Granny Flats? While searching online, I came across http://www.summithomeimprovements.com.au/granny-flat-innovations/

Any other builders?

And how much it will cost to build a turn key 70m2 house with a veranda and car port?

I have been quoted around $90,000-100,000 over East. One thing to consider is that unfortunately it is difficult to access equity from the build.

granny flats WA

This is the biggest mob in Perth but it will be interesting to see if some of the bigger builders will also take on the build.

If there is easy access to the GF spot then traditional build should be easy but if it's tricky to get to then a steel frame is quicker and easier.

If you want to go steel frame then check out Ross Squire, McGrath homes, Cedar Homes.

One thing to consider is that unfortunately it is difficult to access equity from the build.
Whats the go for financing them?
Equity only. Or construction loan with 10,20,30% deposit?

It would be great to hear from someone who has done it.

If you want to go steel frame ...

Personally I would prefer a double brick and tile house. A 70 m2 plus veranda GF is as good as a house except it cannot be sold separately and doesn't get much equity gain. But isn't it good to build it to last longer? I am not saying a steel frame is not strong, but a double brick and tile construction is great isn't it?

Any ideas from developers about how much a turn key one could cost?

Cheers

I do believe that you can either get "cash out" via existing equity or via progress payments like in a normal construction loan. A fixed price building contract and council approval would have to be attained before finance was approved for progress payments.
Cash out may be the least painful option but have to make sure you allow for a "blowout" so you dont get caught short if all doesnt go according to plan!

Cheers

In WA, from August 2nd, Granny Flats can be rented out to non family members and can have 70m2 plus a deck or veranda. On 70m2, achieving a 2x1 should be easy.

Which builders are suitable to build Granny Flats? While searching online, I came across http://www.summithomeimprovements.com.au/granny-flat-innovations/

Any other builders?

And how much it will cost to build a turn key 70m2 house with a veranda and car port?

I had summit come and qoute for a granny flat on my PPOR but got told it wasnt possible as I already had site coverage of 50% on an R20 block. I spoke to another company who checked with there drafty who said I could go up to 70% site coverage. As with all new ideas conflicting information is prevelant. Looks like I will visit council and finf out the fact for myself.

Any other builders?

Bunnings have some cheaper options available but limited choices and you will still have to organise headworks etc so mght need to be an owner builder. Worth a visit to the local Bunnings to "pick their brains" on the ins and outs I reckon.
http://www.smartspacebuildings.com.au/?gclid=CIrRnZDe9bgCFUpZpQodETIAwg

I had summit come and qoute for a granny flat on my PPOR but got told it wasnt possible as I already had site coverage of 50% on an R20 block. I spoke to another company who checked with there drafty who said I could go up to 70% site coverage. As with all new ideas conflicting information is prevelant. Looks like I will visit council and finf out the fact for myself.

I didn't think open space was even a consideration if you fit the other deemed-to-comply provisions.

I didn't think open space was even a consideration if you fit the other deemed-to-comply provisions.

Hard to say what his motives where as I havent had time to look into it properly but will do as it is a sound strategy to add value and significantly increase yield to what would otherwise be an ordinary property.

Hard to say what his motives where as I havent had time to look into it properly but will do as it is a sound strategy to add value and significantly increase yield to what would otherwise be an ordinary property.

You do still need to meet the open space requirement of 50% so the guys at Summit sounds like they're on the money. 70% site coverage (or 30% open space) on an R20 will definitely not fly..

I am not saying a steel frame is not strong, but a double brick and tile construction is great isn't it?

where on earth did you get this from? apart from the shocking thermal properties of brick, the expense, the time to build it, the resource intensive manufacturing properties, cracking, difficulty of modification etc, yeh it is a great product.

Hi all
Has anyone built/started to build a granny flat in Perth? If so, would like to know how much it costs and who are the builders.
Thanks

Due to the recent changes we have been putting a package together for our clients and can comment quite extensively on the questions raised.

• Transportable GFs will require a cash out for almost every single bank. This is because the security is not permanently attached to the ground.
  • A 20% deposit and renovation/improvements loan can build some permanent GFs, as long as the valuer considers the build contract = value added to the property.
  • 70sqm is costly as you'll require a new sewer cut in (and head works charge) at about $9k.
  • The turnkey (excluding fencing, paving and carport - every site is different) package is $99k for 1 bedder and $120k for 2 bedder. This is concrete slab and 60sqm for 2bed/1bath.
  • If you're looking at full turn key make sure that window treatments, flooring, painting, A/C, Dishwasher etc. is included.
  • concept to completion (including time in council) is 6 months.

Any other questions just shoot me a message.

NSW is restricted to 60sqm and 2 bedders can be designed without feeling cramped.

70sqm, you could make a 3 bedder + 1 bath easily.

* 70sqm is costly as you'll require a new sewer cut in (and head works charge) at about $9k.
* The turnkey (excluding fencing, paving and carport - every site is different) package is $99k for 1 bedder and $120k for 2 bedder. This is concrete slab and 60sqm for 2bed/1bath.

I reckon going for the maximum 70sqm instead of 60sqm is worthwhile. So 60sqm don't need sewer cut, but a 70sqm needs one?

But isn't it good to build it to last longer? I am not saying a steel frame is not strong, but a double brick and tile construction is great isn't it?

where on earth did you get this from? apart from the shocking thermal properties of brick, the expense, the time to build it, the resource intensive manufacturing properties, cracking, difficulty of modification etc, yeh it is a great product.

Steel Framed houses (and No tiles) do okay in WA's Cyclonic regions

Back