give me strength ...

reno finished - house sold - looks pretty darn good - made very nice profit (same with previous ppor and the one before that and the one before that) - moving back to ppor that is only 1/4 reno'd - want to stop and live there for at least next 5 years! - neighbour has just knocked down and rebuilt at the cost of $4mil+ ...

i finished going thru my huge stack of home design magazines, cutting out all the bits that i like the look of for the ppor (kitchen shape, benchtop colour, fireplace surrounds, front fence/path/door, water feature etc etc) and pasted them up on ideas boards. most of the ideas are not expensive and more to do with styling or sourcing.

anyhow, showed them to hubby because he cannot seem to grasp a concept from words.

his only comment "you'll be overcaptialising".

what the ... ? i'm looking at $1-150max ... and that includes rendering the entire outside of a double story 1980's knobbly brick house and rebuilding the garage. we bought the house for $1mil, now worth around $1.5mil, neighbour spent $4mil+ and not even at lockup ... how can ii be overcapitalising! :mad:

when i asked what did he mean, and what area was he talking about - clammed up. was it updating the 1980's laminate and peeling kitchen? was it getting the green/brown pebblecrete pool relined in a dark blue? "you'll be overcapitalising"

on the current house i either had to fight, was criticised or derided for just about every choice - didn't like the paint colour, complained about the cost of the builtins (cheapest in newcastle), didn't like the bathroom layout or tiles (wanted to reuse the old lacy toilet), the kitchen bench was too expensive (wanted laminate!), argued over putting in new cupboards in the laundry instead of bodgey revamped old kitchen cupboards etc etc - after four very profitable ppor renovations, and a couple of ips, i am so tired of having to argue, or get criticised, over everything to get the best outcome. yet, every time we make a profit in the hundreds of thousands.

the problem is that he doesn't do the shopping for goods - so doesn't have a clue about what things cost (but insists that i do it) so thinks prices are the same as 20 years ago - and is also stuck in a time warp of the 80/90's and thinks knobbly red brick with white coach lights looks modern.

i don't want sympathy - i will battle my way thru - but i would like to hear that i am not the only one.

although i do think i've convinced him of the larger master bedroom.

Lizzie

I had the same problem....but now he is not here to keep my feet on the ground I sometimes do overspend a tad......:)

Chris

moving back to ppor...looking at $1-150max

Just popping my husband's hat on for a wee while, perhaps your hubby just hears the 150K of non-tax deductible debt and calculates how many more years he has to work to pay that off....and reckons the visual better looks doesn't rate compared with the extra years of work necessary ??

Just popping my husband's hat on for a wee while, perhaps your hubby just hears the 150K of non-tax deductible debt and calculates how many more years he has to work to pay that off....and reckons the visual better looks doesn't rate compared with the extra years of work necessary ??

You have a lot of hats Dazz. Reminds me of TF2.

or that he's disengaged and doesn't like the thought of his wife being more savvy than him.

many men suffer from it, i see it a fair bit.

If it's in a knock down and rebuild area and you're only planning on living there for 5 years, maybe he doesn't think it's worth sinking $150K into it. Is it possible that the next person who buys it will knock it down i.e. they'll be buying it for the land and the position and not the benchtops?

Well lizzie, as they say "money talks". Perhaps in this situation it is saying "good-bye" to your hubby :) especially as Dazz points out that it is not for an IP but a PPOR.

This is pretty normal in most relationships that I observe. One partner more conservative, the other more go-get-'em. One who saves the other who plunges into debt.

More strength to your arm.

definately not a knockdown - and with some cosmetic work (as suggested) will look very modern. is 5 bed, 3 bath, pool, ocean views and 2 huge open living areas. the reno would put it into the over $2mil value bracket (in today's dollars), so would get back $2-3 for every $1 spent.

pointed out that we can do it over the 5 years (although we do have the cash in the bank to do it all), however there are things i'd like to get in place earlier rather than later (pool for summer and solar power before rebates removed and to get maximum return).

personally i'd like to make this our last house until we downsize/hubby retires in 10 years - but who knows what the future brings.

i'm just tired - after having to fight for asthetically suitable finishes in the last 4 houses, each of which made a very good net profit. you'd think after all those, he'd trust my judgement a bit.

i'm also pretty savvy when it comes to fitting out - personally i can't see the difference in a $200 white ceramic toilet and a $1,000 version, so i go the $200 every time. get my kitchen in flatpack from the cheapest place i can source them for the finish i want. go direct to the stonemason for the benchtops. wait for the 20% sales to buy the tiles, get the huge shag rug made for 1/2 the shop price by choosing the carpet and getting it edged etc etc ... and i still cop it for "spending to much".

Just popping my husband's hat on for a wee while, perhaps your hubby just hears the 150K of non-tax deductible debt
Yet lizzie says its one PPoR on a string of PPoRs and will be offset by 'several hundred thousand' of tax free profit at the end.

This hubby needs to get out and see REAL overcapitalisation and meet people who don't make quite such good decisions as his nice wife :)

Lizzie

I know what you mean and know how you feel. :mad:

Small example - I wanted to get a quote on fancy wet area floor waste covers and use in current build.

Hubby was with me at Reece's and would not let shop assistant put fancy floor wastes price on quote.

Of course Hubby can go off on a 2.5K fishing trip with his brother out of the blue with no discussions allowed.

Cheers
Sheryn

I know what you mean and know how you feel. :mad: Small example - I wanted to get a quote on fancy wet area floor waste covers and use in current build. Hubby was with me at Reece's and would not let shop assistant put fancy floor wastes price on quote.

Probably because he is the boss....

Of course Hubby can go off on a 2.5K fishing trip with his brother out of the blue with no discussions allowed.

Probably because he is the boss....

As the wife in "Once Were Warriors" was quoted when talking with her daughter ;

It's just our lot in life Gracie
:D

LOL! I come to work and all morning a colleague has complained about her husband, I jump on Somersoft... complaints about husbands, now when I go to my parents tonight for dinner...I'm sure Mum will complain about Dad. Are these things called husbands an asset or a liability? :p

LOL! I come to work and all morning a colleague has complained about her husband, I jump on Somersoft... complaints about husbands, now when I go to my parents tonight for dinner...I'm sure Mum will complain about Dad. Are these things called husbands an asset or a liability? :p

Most of the time husbands are pretty good.
You just need to make sure you know when it is appropriate to click the ignore, mute, and tickle button on them.

Seems like a lot of $ to pretty things up. Perhaps there would be more value in doing so if you intended on selling (and would make more than that straight back), however sounds more like he doesn't think the upgrades are worth the $ for your own personal benefit. Doesn't really matter what the neighbours spent, it's not an investment.

Some would think a 60" LCD TV is overboard, some would think it's not big enough. Stop thinking about it in investment terms and think about whether the upgrades are worth that amount to you personally.

What happens if in 5 years you decide to knock down and rebuild? Or the upgrades look out of date?

Perhaps have hubby jump on here and give us his thoughts :p

neighbour spent $4mil+ and not even at lockup ... how can ii be overcapitalising! :mad:

the problem is that he doesn't do the shopping for goods - so doesn't have a clue about what things cost (but insists that i do it) so thinks prices are the same as 20 years ago - and is also stuck in a time warp of the 80/90's and thinks knobbly red brick with white coach lights looks modern.
Maybe let him read this site,and what you post ,,i would hate to see what the land rates and taxes would be on a property valued at above 4 mill as i know what you pay in inner Brisbane and from what i'm told "NSW" is higher up the ladder..willair..

Seems like a lot of $ to pretty things up. Perhaps there would be more value in doing so if you intended on selling (and would make more than that straight back), however sounds more like he doesn't think the upgrades are worth the $ for your own personal benefit. Doesn't really matter what the neighbours spent, it's not an investment.

Lizzie is only talking about 10% of the original purchase price for the reno. This is unlikely to lead to over capitalizing, especially if they negotiated well at the outset. Even with a PPOR there is no reason why you should not consider what can be done to improve the resale value especially if it is something that you will enjoy for the period you are there.

Regards

Andrew

Oh Lizzie

I have nowhere near the experience you do, but yep, with my recent bathroom reno I did it while he was away on business - so that I didn't have to "consult" with him.

Chin up babe - You obviously have the knack.

Hi Lizzie,

I too sympathise, more with the money side of things...it burns a hole in his wallet & I'm the one with little savings jars all around the house & secret bank accounts he doesn't think we use anymore....shhhh....it's for our future.

I came to the relationship with assets & money, he brought his debts. I love him dearly & wouldn't trade him for anything. He was this way when I met & fell in love with him & I can't expect him to change that aspect...mainly b/c I don't think he can even if he wanted to!

I just have to work around it!

Perhaps could you not tell him everything about the money side of things or is he quite vigilant on monitoring the bank accounts?

PS I'm pretty in awe of all you do reno-wise! You sound very business-savvy & are a great role model for other women in this bus!

Back