Giving Thanks

Hi All,

I think if we were able to look at the forum stats, I would have the "Least posts per time spent on the forum."

As I reflect on the year, I wanted to post some thanks to all contributors on the forum who have assisted me over the last year, and to single out a few.

I have learnt so much from the forum this year and I wanted to give thanks to those people who have posted on the forum, that I have learnt so much from (consistently). I feel I have a virtual mentor with the whole forum, but those listed below have helped shape, confirm, confront and conflict with our strategy.

Our goals changed in the second half this year from buying into commercial to focusing on getting the exit strategy execution of our business completed. This is now close and will see us with no debt on the PPOR and available cash.

So a thanks you to a few people (In alphabetical order)

BayView
I didn’t realise that you could be so focused on non-consumerism, but I have gained some great insights into the benefits of being focused on the end game. Whilst I don’t agree with some of BayView’s positions, I have always considered what has been written and it has moved me with some of my views. The mix of business and PI certainly sits well with my strategy, so it is great to watch another’s journey, albeit just up and around the corner of the road than us. I also respect anyone who has a single figure handicap :)

Dazz
I was fortunate to meet Dazz on his family trip to Queensland. I had an “aha” moment after reading several of Dazz’s posts one evening. As I am a business owner, his rationale stacked up for me. I have been a little nervous with resi given some of the tenant stories out there. I have three commercial leases (where I am the tenant) and have often thought, hey shouldn’t we by a property rather than pay this ever ratcheting rent.

It is a shame that Dazz isn’t posting recently, and I really enjoyed his posts, even if they could be considered a little confronting to some :). The post about the deal he put together for his current employer was pure gold! I wish I had copied the text, before the post was pulled, as apart from the numbers being presented, the approach to the deal was outstanding, and a place that I aspire to.

GoAnna!
I have learnt a lot from GoAnna!’s posts, certainly on the Tassie property(s). I loved the apartment referenced mid year that was an “apartment in the roof space of an old mansion”. There have been some terrific responses to non-PI threads as well.

grossreal
I have spoken with grossreal on the phone a couple of times, and there is always some gem in his posts. The deals that he posts about are outstanding examples for me to pull apart, and work into my own variables and formulas when looking at deals.

Mark C
Working on a level several beyond me, but MarkC is very giving in his knowledge. Currumbin Ridge is a beautiful development and it is great to get some insight into the council approval (or non approval) process. I pass Mark’s site at Manly most days as it is next door to my son’s school, and I have read with interest the battle with council.

MichaelW
MichaelW has answered PM’s from me when he didn’t know me at all. He was so giving in his PM responses, to the point of sending me his phone number to call if I had any other questions. His posts are articulate and well thought through, and to share on his journey, albeit painful at times, has been fantastic for him to post. MichaelW’s spreadsheet formed the basis of some of our planning tools.

ozperp
External Optimist. Couldn’t have put it better myself. I have met ozperp on a number of occasions and her optimism is truly infectious! We came close to doing a commercial JV together, but were caught by an unreasonable vendor… I have learnt a lot from ozperp’s posts, mostly PI, but also some general life thoughts. I also was able to learn about Baha'i, as in, I hadn’t met anyone who was “Baha'i” so I was able to investigate further (for interest sake)

steveadl
Loved reading the whale story earlier this year, and I have enjoyed reading steveadl thoughtful responses. steveadl has also shared his experiences with business in the retail sector (not the sector that I am in) and it has allowed me to ponder some thoughts in this space.

topcropper
My folks grew up on wheat and sorghum farms on the darling downs, and they moved away from the land when they were married to Brisbane. It is great to get some insight into what they went through, and to see wonderful pictures and stories from topcropper that allow me to ask more questions of Mum and Dad of their experiences.

WinstonWolf
I was told early in my business life to “have an opinion”. Well WW certainly has put his opinions out there. I have enjoyed my own views being confronted, and I can say that a collection of his posts got me out of the chair in front of the PC, to gain some fitness. I completed a 100Km bike event from Brisbane to the Gold Coast in October, and some of WW’s posts forced me to ask some questions of myself in terms of fitness (albeit in a less learned way)

My new year’s resolution is to post more! :)

Cheers,
Horizon

Aw shucks, Horizon, thanks for including me in such esteemed company! I also hope Dazz comes back - under whatever moniker he wants.

I look forward to seeing you post more. Now that you're exiting your business, Horizon, what's on next for you? (If you don't mind sharing here, of course.)

Look forward to catching up at another Somersoft dinner/lunch soon. :)

Horizon,

I agree that the people on your list deserve special thanks from us.

I would also like to thank Alex Lee for his valuable contributionsto this forum. Hopefully he'll return one day; he's probably busy going on a shopping spree!

Dazz's posts were always informative and very entertaining. Maybe he'll also make a reappearance.

RK

Horizon

Your thanks are much appreciated. Sometimes I wonder if I am posting into a black hole :eek: It's nice to know what sometimes some-one actually reads it!

Look forward to you posting more.

Horizon,

Definitely agree about the help that has come from this forum.

Although long time member I think I average about 3 post per month but have spent countless hours reading posts and absorbing the information on here.

I can remember meeting Jan and getting a personalized copy of her book when she came to Darwin a long time ago and got me started on the roads to property investing.

While we're on the topic, I must say I've learned an absolute shedload from this forum, and really enjoy having my own views constructively challenged. It's also introduced me to some new ideas I hadn't previously considered.

Thanks all.:)

I would also like to say thank you to all those who post here... I have learnt a lot about property investment and still keep on learning from all of those who contribute... please keep it up....

ciao for now and Happy 2009

annE:):):)

ciao for now and Happy 2009
HI annE! Don't we all learn a lot. On that front, is there anything you'd like to share about the Austrian/European property market that we may find useful?

Are you an Aussie living in Vienna, or an Austrian who's just found Somersoft a great resource, or ... another option?

Back