Gladesville good for first home?

Me and my fiancee are currently looking for our first home we were initially looking at under 550k and mainly the abbotsford,chiswick and drummoyne area.

Our main criteria is 2 bedroom with garage.

We stumbled across Gladesville and found that it was alot cheaper then the other areas that we looked at.

You could get a nice 2 bedroom unit for under 500k.

Is there a reason why Gladesville is alot cheaper? Is it a safe area?

We are looking at starting a family so this is important to us.

Cheers
Takz

I like Gladesville (used to have an IP unit until recently) - never had a problem with tenants and the place was cheap to keep during the 9 yrs of ownership. Well located units are those away from Victoria Rd, in older smaller well-kept blocks. Cheaper than the other side of the bridge at Drummoyne too.
Less than 10km from the city and well-served by buses as well. Happy hunting!

Gladesville is a great area. Not sure if you both work in the city but it may be worthwhile finding out how long it will take you to get to the city during peak hour traffic?

If you work in Sydney CBD, you can expect at least 45 minutes minimum from Gladesville to Sydney via Victoria rd as the traffic is terrible. That's on a good day. If you leave before 7am it is much better, worst if you try to reach city around 8:30am.

It is worth to try out the bus to city during morning peak from where you want to buy.

time to city (work) by public transport is very important, and your normal Sat inspection will not tell you that.

Generally speaking Sydney from about 7:30am to ~9am, parramatta rd, victoria rd, and military rd are all car parks. It is a bit better for non-school days.

If people work in the city; what about the ferry to Circular Quay? I think now there are ferry stops near Gladesville? Very nice way to go to work, sit and have a drink or read or just gaze around.

There are two ferry wharfs, not exactly nearby, to the west south of Putney (Kissing Point), next to the east is Huntleys Point, which is not in Gladesville either.

So to Sydney CBD it is m52 or the 5XX buses via Victoria rd....

You don't think they are reasonably close enough to drive to then relax on ferry? I would! They aren't very far in my opinion, better than sitting in traffic on Vic Rd. I can't get over that there's a ferry stop to the city at Kissing Point now! Spent most of my childhood around there (and so did my mum), grandparents lived in Waterview St in art deco house opposite park and waterfront. Biggest real estate crime to have sold it.

Takes anywhere from 30-40 minutes to get into the city. Its not that bad considering and the bus lane traffic is pretty free flowing. Basically the bus lane runs all the way up Victoria Rd from Ryde.

I leave home around 7am and am in there normally within 30-40 minutes.

Back