Gladstone? Calliope? Tannum Sands? or Where?

Where are the hotspots going to be? Where are places to avoid? Where will be a good place in this area in 20 or 50 years time?

We are seriously looking at the Gladstone area but do not know that much at this stage. Can any one help out on the above questions? I know there are a few other threads re Gladstone and we have read them. We just wanted to be specific about the areas mentioned. Thankyou.

Where are the hotspots going to be? Where are places to avoid? Where will be a good place in this area in 20 or 50 years time?

We are seriously looking at the Gladstone area but do not know that much at this stage. Can any one help out on the above questions? I know there are a few other threads re Gladstone and we have read them. We just wanted to be specific about the areas mentioned. Thankyou.

Are you out there rooster or cs2 or anyone that lives up that way? Where is a good place to buy up there that in 20 years will still be pumping?

Are you out there rooster or cs2 or anyone that lives up that way? Where is a good place to buy up there that in 20 years will still be pumping?

Ok, my 2c.....and that's about all it's worth.

Gladstone - If you were looking to take the most advantage of the construction workforce coming to town, then this is where i would invest.

Most guys who will be taking the barge to work each day will want to be close to the harbour which means Tannum and Calliope are probably too far out.

Gladstone is also the largest of the 3 in terms of population and probably has the biggest amount of demand at the moment.

West Gladstone, Kin Kora and Sun Valley are some of the more desirable suburbs. Don't get caught in with realestate rubbish about being close to the CBD. It's a ghost town on weekends and there is no benefit to being close to it.

The majority of people do there shopping at the Kin Kora centre which is near Mcdonalds, Coles, Kmart and Woolies. There are plenty of other supermarkets as well.

Tannum Sands - By far and away the most desirable place to live out of the selections. Close to the beach, away from the majority of the industry and is well catered for with Coles, Woolies and your normal takeaway stores.

Offers newer subdivisions as well as older pockets and has a decent pub with ggod meals and great views! Properties in Boyne/Tannum usually have a small premium to Gladstone area properties.

20 mins to Gladstone (dependant on traffic).

Calliope - The furtherest out of the 3 suburbs. Calliope has seen extensive growth over the past 3-5 years. It pops up on most investment mags lists of 'growth' suburbs, but the figures are massively skewed by the overwhelming majority of new construction out that way.

Used to be a sleepy backwater but has now got a supermarket and a variety of stores that makes it a lot more desirable than it used to be. Probably the cheapest option of the 3.

In summary, as rentals tighten and stock levels decrease, you will probably see growth in all 3 suburbs to some extent.

I still see Gladstone as your best bet with the biggest target market available.

Yields are still not terrific on purchase (around 5%) but currently the rental prices are skyrocketing. Rises of between $50 - $90 on most properties are common place at the moment.

Goodluck

Rooster

Thanks Bigtone and Rooster (that was an awesome post). Looks like I'll have to do a fair bit more research and get up there one day soon. Will be having a good look on realestate .com today. Who is the most proactive agent in town with a good name for integrity? Thanks everyone.

I would agree with Rooster on Gladstone. I see it as similar to Port Hedland vs South Hedland. The real growth took place in Port Hedland.

My house in South Gladstone just had a rent increase from $360 per week to $420 per week, in line with Rooster's comments.

Another consideration is Zoning, many properties in South, Central and West Gladstone are high density residential. You can purchase a 3 bedroom house on 1,000 sqm for $350-$400k now and develop it later, with 6-8 townhouses. These opportunities don't exist in the other locations.

Another consideration is Zoning, many properties in South, Central and West Gladstone are high density residential. You can purchase a 3 bedroom house on 1,000 sqm for $350-$400k now and develop it later, with 6-8 townhouses. These opportunities don't exist in the other locations.

Hi everyone.

Im looking in Gladstone atm for a new IP, i have heard a few ppl talking on this site re: high density residential zoning. i Jumped on the gladstone local council website and called them yesterday to find out exactly where these HDRZ areas are.
Unless im mistaken (and please correct me if i am) they are only in a very small few areas that cover about 5 blocks which are scattered around.

I would love to snap one of these up (or more if i had the funds). Does anyone know or has had some experience with subdiving non high density residential blocks in gladstone? or better still, experience with High density?
if so, could you please share your experience?

have a great weekend

Hi everyone.

Im looking in Gladstone atm for a new IP, i have heard a few ppl talking on this site re: high density residential zoning. i Jumped on the gladstone local council website and called them yesterday to find out exactly where these HDRZ areas are.
Unless im mistaken (and please correct me if i am) they are only in a very small few areas that cover about 5 blocks which are scattered around.

I would love to snap one of these up (or more if i had the funds). Does anyone know or has had some experience with subdiving non high density residential blocks in gladstone? or better still, experience with High density?
if so, could you please share your experience?

have a great weekend

We were just thinking of buying an IP around Gladstone but have now also become keen on development since talking to a builder in Sydney. Need to find a site to build say six townhouses. Sell four and keep two and then do it again.

I think we will be flying up to Gladstone soon to have a look.

Hi grodgersoz, charlieandkath

Some info that may help, Currently I have a non-high density block in Gladstone that I have completed a material change of use on and am currently in the construction phase of building twelve town houses. Believe me I would not go through the painful experience again in dealing with the council it has been a struggle every inch of the way and has taken a few years to get to this point. In saying that my block wasn't straight forward either as it required merging adjoining block's and a great deal of retaining with big drainage issue's.

So taking this into account I have recently purchased a already high density zoned 1012m2 block in south Gladstone, the density ratio is 1:250 therefore I can build four town house's keeping in mind that council requires the buildings foot print to be not more that 40% of the total land area. I'd estimate 90 percent of the high density in Gladstone has this ratio except for land close in around the CBD which you can develop into multi level unit blocks. Best to check the ratio with the council first up.

Some older unit's developments (15 plus years) have more dwellings per square meter but keep in mind the council has changed the rules since then and a lot of agents compare to to these older developments for sale price's today which is totally misleading. Therefore agent say that you can fit a lot more on the high density block in town but with my dealing's with the council this is not the case or you have to basically apply to change the use of the land and go through the entire process defeating the purpose of buying and paying for a high density block in the first place.

grodgersoz there is more than 5 or so blocks that are high density, mattnz is correct in saying that south, west and central Gladstone are the suburbs with this zoning in parts of them, pretty sure the council will send out a zoning map if you inquire.

From all my dealing with local town planner's, surveyor and the council this already zoned high density block I have should be a more straight forward development as you don't have to change the use of the land and you can go straight to a DA.

Here are some high density blocks on the market at the moment.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-other-qld-gladstone-107138259

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gladstone-107136006

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-west+gladstone-107130851

Here are some that are NOT high density but may be good in my opinion to apply to change the material use for development.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gladstone-107121769

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-qld-gladstone-2829343

This one I'm not sure of the zoning, but may be worth a look.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-qld-gladstone-2827799

Cheers

Great stuff goondog, that was such a great post and very generous of you to share this information. Will have to post you more as time goes on. Thankyou.

excellent post goondog, greatly appreciate your contributions.

always happy to eat some humble pie, i have looked again at the high density residential zoning and found many more blocks :)

if you dont mind my asking, what is the address of your new HDRZ purch in south gladstone? do you have a link?

grodgersoz you weren't far off mate, there isn't a heap of high density around. No link for my latest purchase as it is removed from the internet now, was just off the main road (Auckland st) in south gladstone. My opinion south gladstone is a better location than the high density block's in west gladstone.

We have a house in Tannum Sands. Always rents quickly and to good tenants.

We bought there because when we checked out Gladstone we chatted to a few locals. They all told us that Tannum Sands is where people want to go.

That's because it's away from the pollution of Gladstone, and lots of workers go there and their wives want to be near the nice beach and shops.

So we went there and liked it.

We have a house in Tannum Sands. Always rents quickly and to good tenants.

We bought there because when we checked out Gladstone we chatted to a few locals. They all told us that Tannum Sands is where people want to go.

That's because it's away from the pollution of Gladstone, and lots of workers go there and their wives want to be near the nice beach and shops.

So we went there and liked it.

Awesome stuff tubs. This is the sort of information I am after. How much rent are you getting and what size house is it.

It's a lowset 3/1 with a double carport on about 750sqm.
Pretty basic house but in good condition.

From memory it's around the 350pw mark.

It's on one of the side streets off Keating St, so it's pretty close to the shopping centre.

Back