Gladstone QLD - How is it Going????

even though I am quite pro risk, mining towns is something I would never buy in unless its at the very very start, which is hard enough as it is

For those that buy at the very top of the cycle, and expect, $2000 per week rent in a shack (yes exagerrating) I think its investment suicide,
especially those that follow the herd, and either buy the HL packages or when the market is flooded with them,

sure in the long run it may be a good investment, but if I knew there was going to be falling/stagnant prices for the next 1-5 years, id simply buy in west syd or brisbane at this point time, at least this way you are guanrateed some CG in the short term

We bought our IP in Toolooa about 6 years ago, sold end of last year, settled earlier this year.
Only made a small profit overall, wasn't really worth the hassles and risks in the end, but glad we got out when we did. Win some lose some, our other properties have done much better.
The huge amount of land released, the volume of H&L packages being sold and the workers accommodation sites just stopped the price rises and killed the rental increases. Now the population isn't there to support it, hence all the vacancies, rent drops and price falls.
Good luck to anyone who bought more recently, I (genuinely) hope you can survive the next period, no doubt in time conditions will stabilize and improve

Pm has been instructed to call tenants with a polite "no".
Good one, I did similar. My tenants wanted the rent to drop from $660 to $560 or they would move out. My PM advised that it would probably be best to drop the rent to what they wanted. I have sad $600 or move out! See what happens now..

Good one, I did similar. My tenants wanted the rent to drop from $660 to $560 or they would move out. My PM advised that it would probably be best to drop the rent to what they wanted. I have sad $600 or move out! See what happens now..

Be interesting wont it
Not as if they dont have plenty of choice

Gladstone.
Showing 1 - 20 of 687 Total Results :eek:

Still, I admire your bravado.;)

Be interesting wont it
Not as if they dont have plenty of choice

Gladstone.
Showing 1 - 20 of 687 Total Results :eek:

Still, I admire your bravado.;)

Is that huge modern 4x2x2 houses in town or does that number include mass produced houses out at calliope & mass produced units in town? ;)
We'll see..

Is that huge modern 4x2x2 houses in town or does that number include mass produced houses out at calliope & mass produced units in town? ;)
We'll see..

Jenko, I'd definitely tread lightly here. Last thing you want right now is to have a vacant property until the new year. In our street in New Auckland, there have been 3 properties that have been available for over 3 months now, and one has only now got a tenant after dropping asking rent from $560 a week to $420 a week.

Unless it's a prestigious or executive home, I don't think $600 a week is a realistic expectation in the current market.

Jenko, I'd definitely tread lightly here. Last thing you want right now is to have a vacant property until the new year. In our street in New Auckland, there have been 3 properties that have been available for over 3 months now, and one has only now got a tenant after dropping asking rent from $560 a week to $420 a week.

Unless it's a prestigious or executive home, I don't think $600 a week is a realistic expectation in the current market.

Yeah I guess your right..

687 for rent
How accurate is this?
I did a search on some of Gladstone inner suburbs and there were only about 10 for rent
So what % of the vacancies are in estates? I'm guessing 80 - 90?

just read an artciel in yesterdays paper that rents for houses and units have dropped $70-$120 per week, execpt for 1 bdr units which have risen by $10

Id hate to have just bought one now expecting high returns

More bad news from Gladstone

Arrow job cuts put $17b Curtis Island gas project in doubt

ARROW Energy has been slashing staff, prompting new fears its $17billion LNG project approved for Curtis Island won't go ahead.

But the company and its multinational owners are staying mum on the project - and the 4000-plus construction and operation jobs it would mean for the region.

And it's still unclear when the Gladstone community will find out if the project goes ahead.

Emails obtained by News Ltd reveal the company's Brisbane workforce has been downsized.

The Observer understands staff cuts have been under way for some months.

More here
http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/cuts-put-17b-gas-project-in-doubt/2123399/

This isn't really anything new. The US is starting to build up its own LNG industry as well, and so there have been a flood of new LNG projects entering the playing field. It has been expected for a while that the fourth LNG project in Gladstone wouldn't proceed.

This isn't really anything new. The US is starting to build up its own LNG industry as well, and so there have been a flood of new LNG projects entering the playing field. It has been expected for a while that the fourth LNG project in Gladstone wouldn't proceed.

Perhaps, but it certainly isn't going to help those that bought in and are currently experiencing a 12%(?) vacancy rate that will most probably continue increasing in the near future.

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_vacancy.php?postcode=4680&t=1

Are they still building all those new estates and spekkies up there or has that all finally stopped?

Perhaps, but it certainly isn't going to help those that bought in and are currently experiencing a 12%(?) vacancy rate that will most probably continue increasing in the near future.

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_vacancy.php?postcode=4680&t=1

Are they still building all those new estates and spekkies up there or has that all finally stopped?

The rate of building in the last few months has definitely slowed, but now there is a lot of empty land in the new estates, and most estates still haven't got around to building the next stages.

I might get another lot of photos early in the new year to put things into perspective. There are entire sections of new estates (around Kirkwood Road, and down in Boyne Island/Tannum Sands) that are nothing but brand new streets and empty lots with not a house under construction in sight.

Back