glass cancer

Am putting our PPR on the rental market and have realised that no matter how hard/often I clean the main shower it has grey steaks (like water runs) down it I cant get off. I have heard this could be a type of glass cancer, the townhouse is only 6yo and we have had it for 1yr. Anyone any ideas how I can clean it further. Have tried Easy Off Bam and Ajax creme cleanser. Any help appreciated.

Very few shower screens remain pristine despite best efforts. Sadly the clear glass ones are the worst, the ones with the etched designs seem to hide it a bit.

Don't worry about it - unless it is truly dreadful. Just have it noted on the condition report when the tenants go in.
Marg

I agree with Marg that for a rental your tenants are not going to look after it anyway.

However, for sale, or for getting it ready to rent, Shannon Lush has the answer for this. You rub some type of essential oil on the surface of the glass, which "fills" the teensy holes that cause the pitting that makes it look like soap scum. As you say it could be glass cancer caused by teeny little holes in the surface of the glass. Once the oil fills the miniscule holes the glass looks great for a couple of months, when you reapply the essential oil again.

Obviously your tenants will not bother with this, but it will at least make your glass look good for renting, and particularly for selling.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you what oil it is, but she has a couple of books out and you could either check the answer out in a bookshop or try her website.

PS. Did a quick google and found this page - scroll down and you will find it is Goanna Oil.

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=229019

Metho and a good scrub is also really good for removing scum marks from showers... but that probably wont work if it is pitted from glass cancer. the lush house solution above sounds good...

Craig you cvould be right as if I leave one of the toilets clean but not used for a while, the colour of the water is not good. I will try CLR, thanks.

Does this still occur if you keep a squidgy in the shower and wipe the water down after every time you use it?

Craig you cvould be right as if I leave one of the toilets clean but not used for a while, the colour of the water is not good. I will try CLR, thanks.

and besides 'as the add says" if your not compleatly satisfied, get your money back, lol;)

glass cancer is caused by cleaning with bleach - or cleaning products containing bleach.

so never use a "cholorine based" cleaning product on your glass.

glass cancer is caused by cleaning with bleach - or cleaning products containing bleach.

so never use a "cholorine based" cleaning product on your glass.

or steel wool :eek:

My husband (a glazier by trade) tells me there is no such thing as glass cancer and it's all rubbish. After I suggested that he tried to clean the shower screen and he tried everything in the house, then CLR, then a blade and then steel wool I think I convinced him.

Lizzie, I've read that about the chlorine too, so perhaps that is the original cause.

Certainly our other bathroom (the main one) has a clear laminated screen that I've only ever cleaned with Enjo and/or a squidgee - it looks the same as the day we put it in about six years ago.

Back