Glenn Stevens Speech - Interest Rate Cuts Not Aimed At Aiding House Price Growth

One thing we should not do, in my judgement, is to try to engineer a return to the boom. Many people say that we need more ‘confidence’ in the economy among both households and businesses. We do, but it has to be the right sort of confidence. The kind of confidence based on nothing more than expectations of ever-increasing housing prices, with the associated willingness to continue increasing leverage, on the assumption that this is a sure way to wealth, would not be the right kind. Unfortunately, we have been rather too prone to that misplaced optimism on occasion. You don’t have to be a believer in bubbles to think that a return to sizeable price increases and higher household gearing from still reasonably high current levels would be a risky approach. It would surely be a false basis for confidence. The intended effect of recent policy actions is certainly not to pump up speculative demand for assets. As it happens, our judgement is that the risk of re-igniting a boom in borrowing and prices is not very high, and this was a key consideration in decisions to lower interest rates over the past eight months.
Great speech IMO: http://www.rba.gov.au/speeches/2012/sp-gov-080612.html

Stevens has been warning about leverage in the property market for some years now. Even encouraging people to pay down their home loans more quickly.

I think we can safely say that the old "B&H, prices double in 7-10 years" method of property investing is dead in the water for a long time to come. Time to look back to yields and prices have a fair way to melt down (and rents to slowly rise) before it's a worthwhile prospect in many capital city areas.

Great speech IMO: http://www.rba.gov.au/speeches/2012/sp-gov-080612.html

I think we can safely say that the old "B&H, prices double in 7-10 years" method of property investing is dead in the water for a long time to come. Time to look back to yields and prices have a fair way to melt down (and rents to slowly rise) before it's a worthwhile prospect in many capital city areas.

I disagree with your assertion that anyone can be so sure of anything unless that persons view is coloured by religious fervor and so are deluding themselves.
I don't believe that fortune telling is at all possible.

I disagree with your assertion that anyone can be so sure of anything unless that persons view is coloured by religious fervor and so are deluding themselves.

Agreed. No one knows.

For all we know, the Greek crisis could be fixed up at their next election just after the Chinese release a stimulus package of many trillions of dollars or Greece could bail and America dives into a deep depression. Or somewhere in-between.

We only know what has come to pass and the here and now.

Hobo-Jo is still correct. The RBA mandate is to keep inflation in check at 2-3%. Households already have far too much debt. The only way to achieve consistent ~10% growth in house values when inflation is deliberately moderated, is to continually add more debt to the system. This whole paradigm has changed, not just in Australia, but internationally.

The only way to achieve consistent ~10% growth in house values when inflation is deliberately moderated, is to continually add more debt to the system.

purchasing debt is one aspect, then you have supply restraints and demand growth i.e. immigration and household formation and natural population growth. The credit crunch that slammed demand funding also slammed development funding

Agreed. No one knows.

For all we know, the Greek crisis could be fixed up at their next election just after the Chinese release a stimulus package of many trillions of dollars or Greece could bail and America dives into a deep depression. Or somewhere in-between.

We only know what has come to pass and the here and now.

Of course but based on the here and now it's difficult to make a plausible argument that buying property now with the intention of relying on CG for the upside is the best use of money.

Of course but based on the here and now it's difficult to make a plausible argument that buying property now with the intention of relying on CG for the upside is the best use of money.

wouldn't it be better to be buying counter cyclical tho?

When the Governor of the RBA says asset prices are unlikely to return to growth exhibited over the decade to 2007... with what religious fervor are you suggesting Stevens is blinded by?

When the Governor of the RBA says asset prices are unlikely to return to growth exhibited over the decade to 2007... with what religious fervor are you suggesting Stevens is blinded by?

Stevens speech was measured and reasonable. He should know that nothing is certain and yet he predicts future growth.

And, while the course of asset prices over the short term was unpredictable, he said, "wealth will surely resume an upward track, sooner or later".

When it does, however, it is unlikely to be at 6 or 7 per cent per year in real, per capita terms. I would guess that over the long term, something more like 3 per cent would be nearer the mark."

He uses words such as unlikely and unpredictable not "dead in the water"

Last edited:
As a wise short green little man once said .

"Clouded the future is. hard to see mmmm"

Growth does look very hard to achieve while looking through todays eyes.

What about 5 years time. What about 10.
What if Glenny boy manages to restrain growth to trend levels for a significant time. Just as external shock can send things down. An line up of good triggers can see a jump again.

I have not been on this earth as long as some but it seems to me that people have short memories.

Sooner or later some significant growth in house prices with a flow on effect to spending in the economy will not be the evil it is today.
Just give it some time.

Impications of Stevens remarks

Hi

Noting the Stevens forecast for subdued growth in house prices, one could assume that investment in property for CG will be less than previous years, therefore developers will build less property (to meet the reduced demand from investors).

And since property is a major multiplier in the economy in terms of jobs - building components, household items, - then there will be a ripple effect in the economy thereby slowing GNP so interest rates will come down (again).

Meantime the population steadily increases therefore in terms of supply and demand, rents go up, property prices go up.

So the bad news again is ?

Comments please

Tony

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/rate...ces-stevens-20120608-200ti.html#ixzz1xAzmZBfQ

Do not worry Mr Stevens. Nobody in their right mind would assume such a silly thing.

Our mass media keeps playing silly bugger as to what fluctuations in property’s median price mean. Please point them to that page for some education:

Anyway the other thing that media does not like to remember – is that comparing to 2008 – share market is down, but property is up.

In fact combined cap value of ASX is down 17.6% in the last 12 months.

Interestingly enough that property market during its history has had only two 5% dips in median price (again - in case you already forgotten- there is a world of difference between median price and property values).

And it is very hard not to notice – whenever share market starts to slide – out interest rates go down. Whenever share market is up – interest rates go up too.

We are not that stupid as you think. We know that rate cuts are designed to get share market out of the pit.

Why would be that? Perhaps some disclosure of where your assets are invested would give Australian public more idea?

Till that time we perhaps shall think that this passion with share market is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with one’s vested interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a wise short green little man once said .

"Clouded the future is. hard to see mmmm"

Growth does look very hard to achieve while looking through todays eyes.

What about 5 years time. What about 10.
What if Glenny boy manages to restrain growth to trend levels for a significant time. Just as external shock can send things down. An line up of good triggers can see a jump again.

I have not been on this earth as long as some but it seems to me that people have short memories.

Sooner or later some significant growth in house prices with a flow on effect to spending in the economy will not be the evil it is today.
Just give it some time.

I agree with the short memories of a lot of peeps.

Instant information at our fingertips can be a major factor in causing the investor with a vested interest a moment of freaking out over the latest doom and gloom news.

You need a balanced view for SANF and to also remember that 70% of purchase decisions relating to property are to provide a roof over ones head. I would guess that most people living in thier own PPOR do not give 2/5 of bugger all whether the median price of houses has gone up or down by x%....

Most people renters and home ownera alike are more likely worried about how to pay the car rego, kids school books, whether to buy the new car, whether to go for a 50 or 55 inch LCD vs Plasma (insert any other spend on easential or non easential item of your Choice)

We are getting closer to rent vs buy being not too different in bread and butter under median price areas now....and if rates drop more, this could encourage more to buy....who knows.....they may not be able to get finance!

Short term worry versus long term big picture....relax I say

Glenno is my favourite D&G'er, just looking at his dour jowls moving up and down and his droning voice make me depressed.

He makes me want to sell up all my investments and stuff my mattress with cash and mum's silverware everytime I listen to him waffle on.

Glenno is my favourite D&G'er, just looking at his dour jowls moving up and down and his droning voice make me depressed.

He makes me want to sell up all my investments and stuff my mattress with cash and mum's silverware everytime I listen to him waffle on.

Which probably makes him a perfect RBA governor. Recall Bernie Fraser?

Stevens focus is correct, house price booms are busts are highly destructive.
Look what it has done to Spain .. one of the strongest banking systems in the world that survived the GFC & was able to pick up the pieces from other countries that didn't, then done in itself by a bloody real estate bubble. There is a warning for Australia in that.

Back