Global roaming etc etc iPhone overseas

I have just requested that my iPhone 4 be unlocked from Optus so that I can take it overseas next week.

I plan on buying a sim card in London, and will probably need another in Paris and another in Rome so I can text home.

I realise each time I buy a new sim I will get a new number, but I just don't want to risk any large bills due to my getting things wrong with my own sim from Australia.

Each time I get a new sim, I will send a text to my brother (moving into our house) and he can pass it on to the boys.

Am I correct in thinking I need to turn off both "cellular data" and "data roaming" in order that my phone doesn't drain the prepaid sim if it keeps trying to connect to the net?

Do I also need to turn "enable 3G" off?

I don't plan on checking emails (or Somersoft :D) while overseas, but really just want to be able to have the phone available in an emergency, or if we need to call ahead to an hotel to say we are late and please don't lock us out.

I have apps I am thinking of buying for a few dollars for each city, but they don't need to connect to the net.

If we need to connect to the net for any reason, can I just turn on the "cellular data" to connect, and then turn it off when finished?

Next question (probably a dumb one) is that with a prepaid sim, am I guaranteed that there is no way that I will accrue any charges to my Australian account?

I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I have heard so many stories about nasty surprises with the next bill, that I don't want to have to think about it.

We toured France for 3 mths last year and bought a new sim card the moment we landed. I then emailed my daughter the new number and it all worked fine, particularly as we were meeting her in Paris after 3 weeks so really needed her to know our number. One thing we got caught with was recharging. I thought we would buy 20 euro recharge and just use this up then recharge but it ran out very quickly and I couldnt work out why. Eventually we found out the system we had bought (the name was something Dutch sounding which was the only one the english speaking retailer we found said would fit our phone) actually was time based, not usage based. In other words it ran out in 2 weeks whether we had used it or not, so we just recharged small amounts after blowing about 60 euro

We toured France for 3 mths last year and bought a new sim card the moment we landed. I then emailed my daughter the new number and it all worked fine, particularly as we were meeting her in Paris after 3 weeks so really needed her to know our number. One thing we got caught with was recharging. I thought we would buy 20 euro recharge and just use this up then recharge but it ran out very quickly and I couldnt work out why. Eventually we found out the system we had bought (the name was something Dutch sounding which was the only one the english speaking retailer we found said would fit our phone) actually was time based, not usage based. In other words it ran out in 2 weeks whether we had used it or not, so we just recharged small amounts after blowing about 60 euro

I am currently overseas. This time I have roaming turned off as well as location. The calls were not a problem, it was the data download where I got caught in May and received a bill for $5240.

This time I have the laptop with me and am using skype to talk to my son daily, download the email and pay the bills online. I am using the free wireless in the hotel.

I went into Telstra before I left and had them check what should be turned off. They also gave me a lesson on taking the sim card out when using the wireless to ensure the phone is using the wireless. I have not had to do that as I am using the laptop.

I received a bill today online and it was $137, so I am rather pleased :)

Chris

Back