Glueing Fibre Cement Onto Brickwork

Have just purchased a duplex that is constructed of the big grey bricks. Think the interior would looks heaps better if plasterboard is used to cover the brick walls. Would look at putting in framing to attach the plasterboard to, also this would allow wiring and powerpoints to be added. My question is relating to the toilet. The walls appear to be fibre cement with just the back wall the painted bricks. Can we just glue a sheet of fibre cement to the bricks. Any recommendations on the adhesive?
Thanks

.... the back wall the painted bricks. Can we just glue a sheet of fibre cement to the bricks. Any recommendations on the adhesive?

Yes - liquid nails (construction adhesive). But first scratch off the paint on the bricks if possible where you plan to use the blobs of adhesive - so it sticks directly to the brick not the paint.

Think the interior would looks heaps better if plasterboard is used to cover the brick walls. Would look at putting in framing to attach the plasterboard to, also this would allow wiring and powerpoints to be added.

I know this wasn't your question, but it's not as simple as it sounds.

If you plasterboard over the brickwalls, you'll have to remove and replace any cornices, skirtings and architraves etc., to get it looking right. Once it's plastered you wil find that the door jambs and window reveals will be undersize because of the extra thickness of the plaster.

This can sometimes be solved by machining a special architrave that is rebated to make it fit, or you can pack the window reveals and get new door jambs made to size, but this requires rehanging the doors.

Some info here.http://www.renovateforum.com/f84/widen-existing-door-jambs-78071/

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use cornice adhesive to stick sheets of whatnot on internally, might work out cheaper than liquid nails too.

Also glues cornices ;)

Drill through cement sheet into bricks.
Insert spaghetti ( plastic plug ).
Nail with clouts.
Cement sheet is a compressed layers product.
Fixing to one side only can result in delamination.

Gerd

I'd also be looking into masonary adhesive to fix to brick, good size hardware stores should carry it. mix with water, stir it up, chuck blobs of it on the bricks then press sheet back with straight edge and level until ur happy.

I'd also be looking into masonary adhesive to fix to brick, good size hardware stores should carry it. mix with water, stir it up, chuck blobs of it on the bricks then press sheet back with straight edge and level until ur happy.

cornice adhesive is most commonally used for this

I'm looking at doing a similar thing in my bathroom - packing out the wall above the half wall high tiles (10 mm of cement left after tiles removed) I looked up James Hardie site re Villaboard and they recommend their own base coat :rolleyes: which is stronger than gypsum based cement.

I also asked at local plaster supplier who mentioned a powder mixed with water and applied over entire surface to stick it like a tile - may be similar to one mentioned above. I was thinking along the lines of many blobs rather than concentrating on trying to get full contact over slight variations. I was also thinking of screws rather than nails - although everyone says nails are only used to keep it in place until the cement dries. Gerd has a good point - particularly when tiles will be applied to the other side!

Screws-nails
Both will fix the sheeting to the wall.
Drive the screw or nail to far beyond the surface will result in scolloping out the back of the sheet ( foot print of screw or nail )
The fixing will then be compromised.

Gerd

Back