Going on a cruise

People who are able to accumulate significant net assets by virtue of hard/smart work are physically incapable of putting the tools down as that is the attitude that got them there in the first place. You can't go from being a hard worker to relaxing on a cruise in the Caribbean once you hit the magic $X amount - people don't work that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is that people who are able to accumulate significant net assets by virtue of hard/smart work are physically incapable of putting the tools down as that is the attitude that got them there in the first place. You can't go from being a hard worker to relaxing on a cruise in the Caribbean once you hit the magic $X amount - people don't work that way.

There are better places than the Caribbean to retire to anyway. I thought the Caribbean was interesting, but a bit overrated.

And personally, I think cruises are overrated. But that's just me.

Cruises are good if you pay the right price and have the right room. If you pay full price for a standard room then yes, they are very overrated.

Holidays are a standard value proposition for me.

Cruises are good if you pay the right price and have the right room. If you pay full price for a standard room then yes, they are very overrated.

Holidays are a standard value proposition for me.
[sing]

Port out Starboard home
POSH, with a capital P O S H
Oh the posh posh travelling life
the travelling life for me
First Cabin, the captain's table
Regal Company

. . . [/sing]

lifestyles of the LIVR (Learned Impartial & Very Relaxed)

I thought the mention of "cruising the Caribbean" to be just the general gist of what life could bring, the "vibe" of what life could be like, not that Oscar is actually planning on cruising the Caribbean as a full time plan. :D

That depends on what you want out of a holiday. For some people,cruises are the pinnacle of what a holiday is all about. For me, I would much rather enjoy a destination, its people, its culture, its language and its food.

That depends on what you want out of a holiday. For some people,cruises are the pinnacle of what a holiday is all about. For me, I would much rather enjoy a destination, its people, its culture, its language and its food.

Of course.

We have used cruises as a way of doing a very easy initial exploration, with a view to returning to the places we like. It's worked quite well for us.

Being on the boat is just the transport and accomodation (although it is pretty comfortable and convenient if you have the time).

My daughter has just been through Bolivia. It was her favourite country in Latin America- and in 18 months she's only been through about half. It sounds like a fascinating place.

Cruises aren't an option- Bolivia is completely land locked.

My daughter has just been through Bolivia. It was her favourite country in Latin America- and in 18 months she's only been through about half. It sounds like a fascinating place.

Cruises aren't an option- Bolivia is completely land locked.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Cruises are awesome. Sleep in until lunch time, plenty of food any time you want. Awesome dinners. Some days we just spent the whole day in bed watching episodes of scrubs and getting food brought to us. That's the life :)

I think as a general rule those that work hard do find it hard to slow down, but for me personally, at heart I'm a dole bludging lazy slob who sits on his butt all day playing computer games, but I just happen to work 52 hours a week at this stage of my life :) I think I could happily return to my natural lazy state of being, after all the PS4 and Xbox One comes out this month!

I am personally considering a cruise next year. Pros? Cons? Who are the good operators and bad ones?

Pros
They are a lot of fun
You get to visit a lot of different places in a short period of time so it's good for a "taster" to see if you want to go back to that place
You possibly get to go to places that you otherwise couldn't afford (such as I went to Bora Bora and it was amazing!)
Lots of entertainment (though not always to my taste)
Lots of food
You can make some really good friends
You only have to pack/unpack once
Getting table service for every meal every day (we don't like buffets)
You get your bed made every day for you, and the sheets turned down before bedtime every night

Cons
I don't enjoy the sea days as much as some others do, frankly I'd rather be exploring a place that I've never been to than relaxing on board
There is waaaay too much food so it's very, very easy to overeat
The cabins are generally tiny unless you can afford a mini suite or bigger
If you are younger and going on a cruise, it can be difficult to find people your own age to talk to. We've been on a couple where we were the youngest on board by about 30 years!
Alcohol on board can be very expensive, though some cruise lines will let you take a limited amount in your luggage with you.

Good cruise lines: Princess, Royal Carribean, Holland America
Alright cruise lines: P&O (probably the most fun I've ever had on a cruise, but definitely aimed at the younger market. I would feel very old if I went on it now)

I can't comment on any other cruise lines as these are the only ones I've tried so far.

Cruising is great fun, but you wouldn't want to have a holiday doing only cruising.

Pros:

Easy
Good food
Unpack once
Very relaxing
Lots to do on board
See places you wouldn't otherwise go to
Make new friends
Great value in off season
Kids club is fantastic

Cons:

You're on the cruise company's timetable
You need to leave Australia to get a decent cruise at a good price
You need to get a suite, the standard rooms are rubbish
Getting on and off can be a pain if you don't like crowds

We like the more casual/family style cruises, rather than the traditional type, and tend to go in the off season when its much cheaper than normal. We typically do a cruise as part of a larger family holiday.

My wife often talks of cruise. I am trying to avoid it. I could only do a first class queen mary type thing. What are the very best cruise ships?

I am personally considering a cruise next year. Pros? Cons? Who are the good operators and bad ones?

The average age (discounting the crew) is likely to be about twice your age. :)

Despite that, they're quite good. You get to see a lot of places without the hassle of traveling in a bus, car, train or plane. The ship just takes you there, usually overnight. Outside that it's a lot like staying in a 4-5 star hotel with lots of additional activities and things to do.

I've only had two cruises on a ship. Inside passage, Alaska through Princess and New Zealand with P&O. Princess was a far nicer ship, they have a couple operating out of Australia.

These days my holiday focus is on diving in the tropics. I take a holiday on a dive boat for a week. Cruising of a completely different kind.

Travel- my favourite off property topic.

People who are able to accumulate significant net assets by virtue of hard/smart work are physically incapable of putting the tools down as that is the attitude that got them there in the first place. You can't go from being a hard worker to relaxing on a cruise in the Caribbean once you hit the magic $X amount - people don't work that way.

Really? Only if you're a workaholic and you believe you will enjoy your life only when you retire. I like a mix of work and travel.

I used to think like that. I've done a few small tours and time is wasted sitting on busses and trains. With a cruise you are holidaying "while" getting to your next destination.
Of course it doesn't compare with self guided travel (and I love that too) but when compared to group travel it certainly has it's adantages.
My husbanmd informed me he will only do cruises now. He never relaxes but cruises are a way to make him relax and he refuses to look in another church or cathedral.

You need to leave Australia to get a decent cruise at a good price

NAH!! You just need to know where to look. True though that there are way more opportunities for discounts overseas.

Try this one- Jan 27 2014. 7 nights on a 4.5 star ship. Radiance of the seas. 601$US. Itinerary not startling but only $100 more than those 3 night oners that go nowhere. It goes Sydney-Newcastle-Hobart-Melbourne-Sydney. You don't even need a passport. Great for those wanting to give it a go. Lovely ship.

For discount cruises look at Cruise1st, Ozcruising and vacationstogo.
Vacations to go are based in Canada. I have booked through them. It was great when our dollar was up. You cant book Holland America or Princess through them though.
If you can travel at last minute look at their 90 day ticker (click the button in the RH corner). You will NOT believe some of the prices.

I love Royal Carribean and Princess. P&O is OK for a budget ship but I'd rather not. If overseas avoid Costa and MSC (even though the prices are tempting). I haven't tried some of the others that also have a good reputation.
I really want to go on a 6 star ship one day.
And if you can afford it river cruies are amazing.

If you are considering cruising look at cruisesritic It's a great cruise forum with everything you need to know.

There was the lady who was on a Royal Caribbean Cruise. She was at the pool and felt the call of nature. But the toilets were coin in the slot. She asked the attendant if she could go now, and pay later.

"Madam", he said coldly. "This is not P & O".

Back