Going rate for colorbond fencing?

Like a lot of people from Newcastle I'm in need of a new boundary fence for my PPOR. My neighbour organised a quote today from a 'mate' of his and I'm just trying to asses if I'm being asked to pay a fair cost or if I'm being take for a ride and should get some more quotes.
My section of the fence is almost 9 panels long at about 2.3m per panel, quote is for standard 1.8m high colorbond fencing with timber sleepers underneath each panel. Access to the site is good with the neighbours concrete driveway running alongside most of it. Ground is level on sandy soil/clean fill, there are two posts which have concrete around them from my side so there will be some jack hammering required.

Total price of which I have to pay half is $2145 including GST which includes removal and disposal of the old tin fence.
Works out to $238 per panel, or a bit over $100 per meter.

This seems reasonable or maybe a little on the high side but since I don't have anything to compare to it hard to know, getting other quotes at the moment is a bit difficult due to the obvious demand for fencers at the moment.

Is it 'normal' to put sleepers under the panels? Would that be something that the termites would like?

I don't really know if it's normal, one of my fences has them already, they've been there for at least 10 years without any problems so far.
See plenty of fences around my area with them.
They'd be appropriately treated I assume.

66 lm supply and install, 13 lm remove and dispose of old

Used to be 55-60 but lysaught increased prices about a year ago

66 lm supply and install, 13 lm remove and dispose of old

Used to be 55-60 but lysaught increased prices about a year ago

Thanks Dave, that gives me a bit of an idea.

Got a bit more details as I was speaking to the neighbours wife yesterday.
Turns out the fencer was the best man at their wedding.
When the fencer was giving me the quote he stated that the neighbour was going to fix up the bill and I would have to pay my half to him.
Think I know what they're up to.

In light of the above I have arranged another fencer to give us a quote.
I am also going to insist that I get an invoice from the fencer and I will pay them directly. I was thinking I should also insist that the invoice has the total cost on it and states that I have paid 50% of the total.

Thanks Dave, that gives me a bit of an idea.

Got a bit more details as I was speaking to the neighbours wife yesterday.
Turns out the fencer was the best man at their wedding.
When the fencer was giving me the quote he stated that the neighbour was going to fix up the bill and I would have to pay my half to him.
Think I know what they're up to.

In light of the above I have arranged another fencer to give us a quote.
I am also going to insist that I get an invoice from the fencer and I will pay them directly. I was thinking I should also insist that the invoice has the total cost on it and states that I have paid 50% of the total.

any invoice can be fudged to show you have paid 50%. they just up the quote, you pay 50% of the upped quote and then get the other person to pay half or less of the actual quote.

if your quote comes in cheaper you can always tell them he can do it if he does it for that price.

also how bad is your old fence can you sell it rather than have them dispose of it?
i sold some old fencing iron for a few $$ as new iron is pretty expensive and that paid for new posts and railings

The fencer will not deal with the 2 neighbours, trust me I fenced for over 25 years.
Otherwise we'd be spending too much time in court chasing money.

The person who instigates the fence enquiry and subsequent quote will pay the lot, then neighbours can have their disputes privately.

Fair enough?

Get. 3 quotes, work with your neighbour not against them is the only advice I can offer as I saw way too much angst come out of boundary fences between neighbours.

Like a lot of people from Newcastle I'm in need of a new boundary fence for my PPOR. My neighbour organised a quote today from a 'mate' of his and I'm just trying to asses if I'm being asked to pay a fair cost or if I'm being take for a ride and should get some more quotes.
My section of the fence is almost 9 panels long at about 2.3m per panel, quote is for standard 1.8m high colorbond fencing with timber sleepers underneath each panel. Access to the site is good with the neighbours concrete driveway running alongside most of it. Ground is level on sandy soil/clean fill, there are two posts which have concrete around them from my side so there will be some jack hammering required.

Total price of which I have to pay half is $2145 including GST which includes removal and disposal of the old tin fence.
Works out to $238 per panel, or a bit over $100 per meter.

This seems reasonable or maybe a little on the high side but since I don't have anything to compare to it hard to know, getting other quotes at the moment is a bit difficult due to the obvious demand for fencers at the moment.

That's around what we paid for a similar job two years ago. The issue is the short amount of fencing. Our fencer told us he could do a 50 m fence at a cheaper price per metre. Most fencers don't like doing small jobs

Just did mine a few months ago at my ppor.

36m - $3900 supply and install, flat ground - clean site for fencer to work with

has powdercoated 50 x 50SHS post in between, with 200mm high concrete sleepers under the 1800mm high colorbond fence

so worked out about $106/lm

Thanks guys, got another quote that was about the same so I guess the price is the price, although I do feel it may be a bit inflated due to "storm tax" lol.
Phar Lap, I spoke to the original fencer and he agreed to give me separate invoice. If you only invoice one neighbour and its up to the second neighbour to pay the first how would the second neighbour go about claiming the fence on their insurance (if it were storm damage for example) without an invoice.

Thanks guys, got another quote that was about the same so I guess the price is the price, although I do feel it may be a bit inflated due to "storm tax" lol.
Phar Lap, I spoke to the original fencer and he agreed to give me separate invoice. If you only invoice one neighbour and its up to the second neighbour to pay the first how would the second neighbour go about claiming the fence on their insurance (if it were storm damage for example) without an invoice.

Talk to your insurance company.
However, I never ever invoiced both neighbours for a common fence line job.
Always happy to provide a copy of invoice with descriptive info on the job being a common boundary between neighbours.

If it's a insurance job then the insurance company should be the customer with an order number etc.

That rate per metre looks about right to me. My sister in Brisbane did about 40+ m including one pedestrian gate and a set of vehicle gates for $4400. Slightly sloping ground, pretty overgrown, demolish and remove existing timber fence included. No sleepers needed.

I'd consider concrete sleepers as they'll last. Timber sleepers could well be treated pine. They'll look okay for the first few years, but they do rot when in contact with damp soil and after 15-20 years they're stuffed. You could get the timber sleepers and paint them yourself with a few coats of a bitumen type paint from Bunnings. Creosote (the old good stuff) is the best but I don't think you can get the "real" stuff any more unless someone has some old stock stashed away. I managed to get some but the seller says it's the last 44 gallon drum left in QLD.

The one problem with these Colourbond fences is that the bottom rail is a nice trap for debris and hence they get full of it. If the debris is damp then superficial corrosion occurs. With tenants who don't mow the lawn often (aka they have to resort to using a whipper snipper) that's your source of lawn clippings etc. in the bottom rail.

Back