Going to house inspection not happy

Stay with the plan

I guess this is that crossroad many property investors seem to face. Do you let a bump in the road put you off for good or do you take it on the chin and keep going. Im not going to be one of those people that wished they kept that house or wished they had a go when they were younger.These guys will be turfed out. The house will be cleaned/repaired. It will be re-let. I will move on. My other property will also be cleaned up returning it to its former glory.Infact i will probably add a few rooms to it.

And im 99% positive i will go ahead with my development of my first property.

So apart from some ill feelings i will not let it affect me.

Now where is that property guide :)

Hi Devo,

Glad to hear you are going to soldier on. I think situations like you are experiencing now is what puts most people off investing in property.

Still, in ten years time, this situation will be a distant memory and more than likely, your property will have doubled in value!

I have given notice to a tenant who has kept one of our IP's in very good condition for 3 years - but always pays sporadically. They are to move out in April. I am expecting some repercussions - ie house to be left in bad shape and they will probably stop paying rent. I have another IP which we had to evict a non payer. We renovated the property and the new tenants have been a dream - pay in full each month and look after the property.

I am sure that once you sort this situation out things will improve for the better.

Regards Jason.

Devo

Your lease will be specifying the number of people who will live it the property
and I'm sure it won't be 11.

If they try to come to an arrangement you should demand a security deposit for the carpet and an increased rent to compensate for the additional wear and tear.

Also, the bond might not be enough to cover damages and your insurer can refuse payment if you are negligent and did not take measures to protect your interests

Devo

Your lease will be specifying the number of people who will live it the property
and I'm sure it won't be 11.

If they try to come to an arrangement you should demand a security deposit for the carpet and an increased rent to compensate for the additional wear and tear.

Also, the bond might not be enough to cover damages and your insurer can refuse payment if you are negligent and did not take measures to protect your interests

OK there lease runs out 1st feb. They have until 7th jan to action all points raised.We will inspect the house again to confirm.
Clean house,fix windows,mow lawns.
The Business owner on the lease has stated he will carry out while house is empty for holidays( workers on holiday until 11th Jan)
So far windows are fixed but i think thats it.If not satisfactory they are out at the end of the month.I am open to extending the lease month by month but bond must be increased
Rent increased
House inspected each month.
NON NEGOTIABLE.

He's shady - already breached the lease & lying & damaging.
Doesn't sound like PM is working hard enough in your best interests.
I reckon :
Up the rent,
up the bond,
photo inspect with report fortnightly until vacant, hopefully soon,
or evict immediately and find a good tenant who isn't looking for shearers quarters type bunkhouse but just plain forgot to mention it to you.

cheers
crest133

Im surprised the PM even allowed these guys to rent it out in the first place.

It was pretty clear when it was rented out to a guy who said he letting his workers live there while they were working on some projects.

Inspected the house

It is spotlessly clean
Windows fixed
Carpets cleaned
Kitchen perfect
Gardens better than when i did them
All beds removed exept for 4.

met the tennant ( well the guy that signed the lease anyway)

He offered

Apologised and stated stated that the workers have been told off.he was not aware.
offered weekly inspections ( i dont think this is legal but).
Gardens to be taken care of by local contractor ( verified by contact)
professional cleaners in fortnightly ( verified by contact).
No more than 4 workers from now on. Spot checks welcome.He stated no more than 5 stayed there at any one time. There was just a change over of workers each week and they left there beds for the following week. This was confirmed by neighbours. they never witnessed more than 5 at a time so i guess thats something.

Increased rent and bond.

I think i will let them stay but under close scrutiny.:confused:

Sounds like the guy in charge of the place is trying to make amends - maybe he really was unsure exactly what was going on. Best to keep an eye on it just to make sure, but at least it's a pretty decent resolution - could've been worse!

OK 3 months on and another inspection.
1#Lawns only done once in three months .3 foot high.( the day before the inspection)
2#Only 6 beds in the house this time.....because they put the other 5 in the shed during the inspection like i am an idiot and would not check. So still 11 beds.
3# the one section of damaged carpet is now all sections. melted and dirty.
4# All walls damaged by furniture against the walls and im guessing the constant moving of beds.

I should have kicked them out after the first event.:mad:
Lesson learnt:mad:

Hey at least they werent fermenting soldier crabs in the bedroom this time.:eek:

up the rent again and maybe the bond and get thetenant to fix everything again unless he puts down $10k or $20k bond and then they can runa muck and keep the bond at the end, u may need more than $20k if the house is quality

Devo,

fascinating story. How did it all end? Are they still in there? Was just reading another thread about the pros and cons of self-managing, and I guess this is a clear example of the fact that having a PM doesn't prevent your property from being trashed and turned into a boarding house.
I have renovated properties myself, and I really feel for you Devo. It must be gut-wrenching to see something that you have worked very hard for destroyed by a bunch of careless boarders!

Devo,

fascinating story. How did it all end? Are they still in there? Was just reading another thread about the pros and cons of self-managing, and I guess this is a clear example of the fact that having a PM doesn't prevent your property from being trashed and turned into a boarding house.
I have renovated properties myself, and I really feel for you Devo. It must be gut-wrenching to see something that you have worked very hard for destroyed by a bunch of careless boarders!

They have been given two months to move out. I question why so long and the agent said " if we kick them out asap they will probably leave without fixing anything" This way they have time to replace carpets and fix walls. This they have promised to do and being a large Sydney plastering company i hope they will stick by there words. Another 4 weeks to go now so i will let you know how things pan out.

Cheers

Update.
Pre eviction inspection.
They have agreed to replace all carpet.
Mow lawns
proffesional clean inside
repaint marked walls.

Not bad I guess.back on the market in 4 weeks. Two couples keen for an inspection already.

you can withhold their bond?

Your right but i dont think ity would cover carpet,floor polish,major clean and repainting of many walls.
Also i had a problem some time back with a so called well respected Australian sports star in my other property.he was a pain in the butt and always behind rent because he was off around the world. In the end due to a documentry he bolted to the states and just said to take the remaining rent out of the bond. Problem is there are steps involved to get the bond and i didnt actually see the money for some time after that.
Much prefer things sorted before the end of lease and to be honest this guy sounds like he will do the right thing........ I hope.

Cheers

they only intend on staying another 6 months or so and always pay rent in advance.

Looks like they were ;

• true to their word on the term length and,
  • true to their word on paying the rent.

Two big ticks.

Sounds like you care about this box a bit much.

Try not to get emotional about a box.

They are the ones that need to live in the pigsty.....

Yeah I do sometimes. Trying not to care and getting better at it. Truth is the cleanliness doesn't bother me it's just the actual damage. No point getting extra rent if that extra rent is spent on repairs.

Back