Going to house inspection not happy

Hi my tenants pays 200 pwk and every month send maintenace request thru my agent. Calculated a total of 1450 already paid for maintenance. Is it normal or too much. I feel its too much. I donot know how to deal. Any advice appreciated.

Hi my tenants pays 200 pwk and every month send maintenace request thru my agent. Calculated a total of 1450 already paid for maintenance. Is it normal or too much. I feel its too much. I donot know how to deal. Any advice appreciated.

I think it's kind of weird that owners complain about maintenance issues. If you think about your own home, if you live in your own home, it's a Bunnings drain. Houses cost money just to stay upright and functional.

Apparently the average (was this worked out by Bunnings? can't remember) maintenance of the average house per year was $7000.

Apparently the average (was this worked out by Bunnings? can't remember) maintenance of the average house per year was $7000.

I think Bunnings has a vested interest to make this figure as high as possible! There is a difference between 'maintaining' a house and 'improving' a house. We spend ****lo@ds of $$ at Bunnings for our PPOR, and most of it is for improvements and projects around the house. Gotta love their sausage sizzles :D

It would depend on what was needing "fixing". Can you elaborate?

If it was genuine "maintenance" than it is not too much. If it was a tenant wanting a better toilet seat because he didn't like the one supplied and working well, then that is "too much".

Door broken, window seal broken, garage rooler shutter jam, tap leaking, toilet not flushing, door locks replacement, door handle broken, so on.just they change the item, every month keep coming.i remember we lived in rental unit for four yrs we broke nothing n only couple of plumbing request we did. So i am thinking they just doing negligence n not living as their own home. I asked agent to remind them to use the items in house properly.if not improved, ask them to leave.

Door broken, window seal broken, garage rooler shutter jam, tap leaking, toilet not flushing, door locks replacement, door handle broken, so on.just they change the item, every month keep coming.i remember we lived in rental unit for four yrs we broke nothing n only couple of plumbing request we did. So i am thinking they just doing negligence n not living as their own home. I asked agent to remind them to use the items in house properly.if not improved, ask them to leave.

Take away the authority from the agent to approve repairs. With the need to phone you before any repair is approved the requests will very quickly dry up.

Obviously you need to play some games such as asking some harder question on the agent when they call - how is door broken, this door was fine maybe tenant broke it etc - and even go and look at some of these problems just to get an understanding of the magnitude of the problems negligible, minor, medium or major and what you can then leave for tenant to work around.

There is no point complaining about the expenditure ones its spent you need to get pro active.

Cheers

Back