Going to Italy, ideas for day trips...

Hello

After reading this post...

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79319

... and being impressed with the wonderful responses, I'm interesed in hearing about Italy.

I'm off in August for 4 weeks, flying into Milan and hiring a car, then based at the town at the very top of Lake Garda for 2 weeks (my son is sailing there at a big regatta). After that we are to get to Madrid for the return flight home on 1 September.

This is my first trip to Europe so I have NO idea about anything. :D

Congrats.

My advice is to only plan 30 pct of your time. The gems are what you find once you have landed. Enjoy the cafes, the food, every building is centuries old, in every city there is something to see.

Milan is actually a great central place to be to explore northern and central italy. Pity you wont see the south.

2 points the weather will be great but yu are going absolute peak tourist season and that can be crazy in Italy. Hope you have accom sorted.

Lucky you, I absolutely love italy.

If you can get south into the Mezzogiorno even for a few days I would strongly recommend it. Easyjet, Ryanair etc can offer some ridiculously cheap fares (particularly with strong aussie dollar) that way and Italian rail isnt too bad either. I'd strongly recommend the Amalfi coast with the likes of Sorento and Positano for the quintessential italian experience and one of the most stunning coast lines in the world. Coupled with amazing history in places like Pompeii there really is so so much to see and do in that part of the country.

Saying that the north is very beautiful too but in a different way and Florence, Venice and Verona are all very worthy day trips. The only place I personally didn't like in the south was Naples, which brings a whole new meaning to word crazy and lives up to its reputation as the mafia capital of the world.

Wherever you are in Italy, try and get off the usual beaten tourist routes as the food becomes a whole lot more authentic adding significantly to the experience.

Sure what ever you do you will have an amazing time.

Caio ;)

You've got a car - so go for a drive! Check the map, pick a small town somewhere and go have a look. If it doesn't look any good, drive to the next one. Make sure you get there by lunchtime. There will likely be a local trattoria where all the tradies and workers go for lunch (the main meal). From Milan you could head towards Tuscany or up towards the Alps or anywhere in between. Take a few days but make sure you get out of Milan once you've seen the Duomo etc.

I can remember a Trattoria in a little town where my grandparents lived for years. 20 Euros for a six course meal consumed over a couple of hours with some excellent wines etc. Nearly all the food was locally grown and produced including things like prosciutto and goat. I didn't want to eat anything until lunchtime the next day after that meal! You can't find that sort of thing in the cities. A fantastic experience, not the least because I was recognised in the street because I looked like my father - that was surreal...

And you could do a lot worse than catching the train to Venice or Florence for a day or three... but yes accommodation in high season can be a problem. I remember rocking up in Venice train station on the day their annual festival was starting unbeknown to me. People everywhere and no accommodation anywhere, until some bloke approached us in the huge queue just to store our bags to offer us a room. It sounded super dodgy but it turned out to be students who were renting the rooms of their colleagues who had gone home for the holidays. Excellent, clean accommodation at less than half the cost of the usual options - it was great! So you never know your luck...

Depends whether you like old buildings with heaps of history or rolling countryside or mountains really - the choice is yours in that part of the world! Just don't spend too much time in Milan unless fashion is your thing...

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the great replies, I'll get the Mrs and we read them all with the map spread out and get all excited!

I like the 30% idea, leaves lots of room for serendipity. :D

I spent a week at Lake Garda. My very favourite place was Lemona, just across the Lake, fantastic little boutique shops and the church at the top of the hill is not to be missed, the art in there is amazing!!!!! We caught the ferry across.

We took the day trip to Verona and another to Venice of course but our best time was wandering around, taking the lift to the top of the cliffs and just watching the tourists jumping off the cliffs with the kites. Then wandering around in between the cows.

We wandered around at night and found the greatest little family restaurant. It was the same people eating there each night, so the family moved us onto each table so we got to meet everyone.

I can't wait to go back!!!

Chris

LOVE Italy. Didn't get up that far north unfortunately (next time).

Definitely go to Venice- amazing and very unique. Take the Mrs on a gondola.

We stayed in Lucca which is a walled town just north of Florence. Loved it. We travelled to Pisa from there for the day. Florence is lovely too.

I am in Italy at the moment :D:D:D:D:D

get out of the touristy places especially in August when the Italians have left and its choka full of tourists, bring comfie walking shoes and

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !

OK I am back from Italy.

We ended up spending about 3 of the 5 weeks in Riva del Garda. Mostly relaxing. Our son was sailing there for 2 of the 3 weeks so we had little choice anyway.

Although a tourist town, Riva is relatively off the beaten track and consequently it is relaxed and quite cheap. Coffee is 1.5 euro. A main meal of pasta is less than 7.00 euro. Food is good and cheap everywhere. It used to be part of Austria so it has a slightly different fell to southern Italy. Over 80% of the tourists are Germans and the locals had no idea what our accents were. Whenever we told people we were from Australia they invariably said they loved the place. Even more remarkable, a barista in the sailing club lived in Cammeray for 12 months and worked in North Sydney. Regretted leaving Australia because he cannot get back in.

We did the walk/climb up to the shrine of Santa Barbara. It is a long way up, and down.

Spent the last 2 weeks going to Achensee and Innsburck in Austria, then Munich in Germany (to see the BMW museum) then drove through Switzerland to Zurich, through Lichtenstein (well, manybe not Lichenstein I think the border was on the edge of the highway and we were technically still in Switzerland) back to Como in Italy so we saw a lot of the alps which was what we wanted -- something we don't get in Australia. Went through the 16km Gotthard tunnel. It was 33 degrees Celsius in the middle of the tunnel.

Managed to fit quick day trips in Venice, Florence, and Genova. Spent a couple of days in Rome, went to Pompeii. Then spent 2 days in Madrid and flew home.

It's possible to spend whole weeks in all of those cities each. We enjoyed the drive down through the alps and around then south through Italy. When in cities we usually walked through the old parts and didn't bother with the touristy bits.

Genova had a quite scary feel at first -- it's Italy's largest port so it's very much a working city.

A coffee was 6.00 euros in Venice. We got a gondola ride, 100 euros. Worth it, but only once in a life time. It gets 25,000,000 visitors each year and I think most of them were lined up to see the basilica when we were there.

Highlights were: the old part of Riva del Garda, with it's 12 century tower, accidentially discovering Malcesine some 20 minutes south of Riva while looking for boat parts (it has a wall that was built in 590 AD) the Castle in Arco which is like something out of Lord of the Rings. We very quickly got cathedral-fatigue. Every village has one. Yes some were better than others, but it became a matter of *decoration*. Decoration is easy.

The stand-out for me was the Pantheon in Rome: this is an unparalleled engineering feat nearly 2,000 years old. Looking up at that dome stopped me dead in my tracks. The columns outside are also spectacular.

Our first day was in Milan and I was amazed by the number of Fiat 500s there were. So I decided to see if I could get photos of 500 Fiat 500s. Despite the fact that I only got pictures of abut half I saw, I ended up with over 400! Only saw 3 in Madrid and I think 2 are the same car. :)

Some other random and weird observations:

You know how there are signs outside shopping centres that show the number of vacant parking spaces? There needs to be one outside Italy and it should say "Full".

The Carabinieri (I think the equivalent of the federal police) in Italy have the coolest looking cars and uniforms.

We could not find any asian or indian food. By the end we were dying for a curry. OK there was one Chinese restaurant in Riva, up some stairs, but the menu outside listed spring rolls and spaghetti, so we never bothered.

Driving in Italy was easier than expected. Although the traffic is "crazy" generally drivers are forgiving and relatively patient. I heard very few car horns blowing even in Rome.

The trick to understanding Italian driving is realising that the number of lanes varies depending on the width of the vehicles using it at any one time. This leads to almost 100% utilisation of the road.

If there is enough room for a scooter to drive beside you, they will.

If there isn't enough room for a scooter to drive beside you, they will anyway.

The word for "exit" in German is "ausfart". We though that was funny in a very adolescent kind of way. (The missus didn't think it was funny though.)

The trucks that pull semi trailers only have one set of back wheels, not two sets like here.

In Austria you give way to cars on the right at some intersections. I never really worked it out. That was my scariest "driving in europe" moment.

No matter how fast you drive on the autobahn, somebody will be behind you flashing their lights to pass.

A Renault Megane Estate diesel maxes out at 197 km/h indicated.

The roads there are no better than ours, in fact most have narrower lanes, no shoulders and are far busier, even (especially) the autobahns.

Last edited:
Buona sera

Sounds like a great trip. May I ask how did you travel to Madrid and how long did you spend there? Was a day trip long enough in the towns you visited (on daytrips) or would you suggest maybe longer.

It sounds like the driving was not too difficult, that's good to know. Thank you for your report and advice.

Buona sera

Sounds like a great trip. May I ask how did you travel to Madrid and how long did you spend there? Was a day trip long enough in the towns you visited (on daytrips) or would you suggest maybe longer.

It sounds like the driving was not too difficult, that's good to know. Thank you for your report and advice.

Day trips are not enough, no. Imagine somebody visits Sydney, how long should they stay? The only reasonable answer is "forever!"

Day trips were enough to get a feel for the cities though. IMHO a day trip to Venice is enough to get a feel for the place and an idea of what it's about, but it's not enough to see all the sights. Rome wasn't built in a day and needs as much time to see fully. :)

Our plan was to do a reconnaissance run to work out where to spend more time next trip. Riva we'd do again. Genova is a definite, surprisingly. Florence too. Venice a couple of days but we'd bring our own food and drink (seriously) and you'd have to plan when you see the tourist spots carefully to avoid the huge queues. We'd go to Herculaneum next time instead of Pompeii, just for the change, not that Pompeii is bad.

The challenge with driving was keeping the car in the centre of the lane. I'm used to keeping myself aligned on the right third of the road, but in a left-hand drive car you have to align with the left third of the lane. Often the right side wheels of the car were off the side of the road. Which is actually a problem because most roads have no shoulder, there's a wall or guard rail really close.

It may interest you to drive up to Austria for the swarovwski (??) crystal factory/centre. It is a great place to visit. Maybe a 3 hr drive from where you are staying, but absolutely stunning alps motorway and scenery!

We drove past it... in fact we drove into the car park and then realised it was a factory tour of some kind. We asked ourselves whether we'd rather see the factory tour or continue on to the lake at Achensee to watch our son sail... and chose to watch our son sail. We never got out of the car at the factory.

No regrets either. I can always find pics of the factory on the web, but not of my son sailing. :)

The lake is 1,000m above sea level!

BTW I'm back now in Australia.

Attachments

• DSCN0045.jpg
    DSCN0045.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 56
Oops. This is what happens when I scroll past the last few posts without reading:(
Anyhow, it sounds like it was a great trip. Well done.

Sounds like a great trip.
I love Italy and we hope to get back and see some more. We were supposed to have 3 days in Venice but we got bumped (off the plane) so lost a day.:( We bought rolls, tomato and sliced cheese from the deli for lunches. We found a few cheap pizza, pasta places. When we went we were only getting 50c for our $ so it was a killer.
I love Florence too. Lovely feel to the place. We did the Amalfi Coast also, whic was amazing.
I'm hanging out for me next holiday. Off to Europe again in April but hoping to go somewhere in January too if we sort out where we are living before then.

Back