Going to Thailand

A few tips

1. No the shops are not closed today because of National Buddha day despite what some tuk tuk driver outside of your hotel tells you.
2. Never trust a tuk tuk driver offering to take you to see some gems at discount prices
3. Learn a few thai words. I speak fluent Thai and when they say "bai nai" which means where go or in english grammar where are you going ? and you respond "bai xxxx" they tend to leave you alone thinking you might be a local
4. Kee nee-ow kwai means stingy buffalo. so if the lady at the market says that to her friend and looks at you with a big smile she isn't being polite.
5. Thais smile a lot. It is usually because they have just charged you double the local price and you had no idea. Farang ding-dong.
6. Never let your husband go for a cheap massage on his own. He might tell you they gave him a wonderful back massage when the reality is he got a happy ending. Par for the course in cheap massage shops in Bangkok.
7. If your husband tells you he is going for a soapy massage don't think it is a massage with soap. Sure it is a massage with soap but a lot of soap everywhere else as well. Soapy massage is soap, massage bed and sex. If your husband wants to go and you let him tell him to take his own condom. They usually don't use them there.

Anyway have fun. I love Thailand and the craziness of the place.

Jetstar recently has some one way fares to BKK with a 3 in front, 1 way, but they're gone today. Can anyone say where they're getting the cheapest fares. Looks like Jetstar are in the $500's now.

Jetstar recently has some one way fares to BKK with a 3 in front, 1 way, but they're gone today. Can anyone say where they're getting the cheapest fares. Looks like Jetstar are in the $500's now.

Bought Jetstar one way from SYD to HKT In the low $200's about 2 weeks ago. Same on the return flight.

Lived at patong, phuket for 8 months.. I lived near one of the sheds that make the streetfood. Trust me you wanna get shots, the meat skewers where blanketed with flies, go to busier looking eateries.

The one time I got sick in Thailand was eating from a busy eatery. I had no problems with the street food at all.

At least with street food you can see how they store and prepare it.

Haha....i dont mind if theyre none-star as long as its not long haul.

I'm looking at April and they have nothing under $500 to BKK. Think ill bypass phuket. I signed up to their newsletter this morning.

I just checked again this morning and One Star (I mean Jetstar :p) have fares in June to Phuket in the low $300's one way.

Don't ride the jet skis, they always scam people by saying that you broke the jet ski and have to pay for it to get fixed. Happened to me when I first got there. Don't argue with thais, in fact just don't get involved with them. They are awesome people, although in the tourist areas there are many predators looking for your money. Keep a low profile and stay in the busier streets and you'll be fine. Other than that it's a crazy party/holiday place with loads of opportunity for fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPuoaktoAw

Thanks guys.

Well after seeing some footage I can't say I'm looking forward to going whatsoever. Poison food full of bacteria and flies, dirty water, scammers, the threat of imprisonment, Sounds great!

Hmm.. So what are the good things people go for? I understand it's great if you love cheap or underage prostitutes, but I'm not into that sort of thing. Many from my work talk about how they go over for women.

On another bad note we were going to go to the Zoo while we're over there, until we read reviews about how terrible the privately run organisation is. Apparently the animal cruelty is really bad there.. Many people on review sites walked in the gate and left in discust apparently. They have a tiger thats chained up, and drugged up so you can get your photo with it. There are crocodiles piled on top of each other with no water, all the animals look to be in treally bad shape etc etc. I couldn't handle seeing that and would never give my money toward it.

So please, what IS good in Phuket?

Thanks guys.

Well after seeing some footage I can't say I'm looking forward to going whatsoever. Poison food full of bacteria and flies, dirty water, scammers, the threat of imprisonment, Sounds great!

Dont worry too much... its just like when Aussies start talking about all the dangerous animals here...

I havent been to Phuket, and Thailand isnt my favourite holiday destination.. but you will have a great time, and there'll be plenty to do. We went to Pattaya on a family vacation, which is a real cess-pitt, and still had a good time at beach, on island trips. We went on a elephant ride/ gibbon safari thing.

Just take it as it comes and enjoy the experience. ... BTW, I've never had immunisations for travelling to tourist areas of thailand

I agree with pennyk. I've just come back from Thailand and have been many times without ever getting sick. We eat at roadside stalls, too. If you're worried, try taking slippery elm capsules while over there & for a week before you go (coat the digestive system) and use anti-bac hand gel before eating & during the day. Apparently pro-biotics are also good (most of your immune system is actually connected to your digestive system). Thailand is no worse than anywhere else - It's just that your immune system is exposed to different daily bacteria etc than you're accustomed to.

Neither I, nor many people I know, are interested in sex tourism and I love Thailand! Read up a bit about Thai culture before you go; it's an ancient country and the Thais are really lovely people.
I've never been to Phuket but have been to Koh Samui some years back and even that was touristy enough for me. My suggestion would be hire a jeep or something & spend some time outside Patong. I'm sure there are unspolied areas and beaches in Phuket to visit, as well as seeing how the locals live and visiting some cultural sites. Thailand has many pristine beaches with warm, clear water, great food and everything is very cheap. I just like the laid-back vibe of the place where we go (koh lanta), and once I unwind I find it very hard to leave.

Edit: Check out Tripadvisor forums for suggestions. And please check any animal-related things you're thinking of doing - some of the elephants etc are treated very badly. I give these a miss unless I know they're OK.

I'm sure a couple of people have gone to Thailand for a holiday and have come home without all these terrible things happening to them. :rolleyes:

As someone else has said, its a beautiful place with beautiful people. If you actually get out of the resort and interact with them at street level and learn a few words of the language you'll find a whole nother side to the place.

btw: I don't and wouldn't bother with shots.

Back