Gold Bullion in SMSF

Check your trust deed

Look at your trust deed.

If it is as versatile as possible, it should allow the flexibility to purchase moon dust and even property on that planet :p

Assuming you're good to go, you'll need to allow (and briefly justify) for such an investment (I wouldn't use the word hedge in there) in the fund's annual Investment Strategy.

Perhaps write a short minute outlining your rationale, thereby covering more bases ;)

You're at 55 you lucky wolf. I wait until 58

Hi WW,

My accountant says yes, but it would depend on your trust deed, ours has it in there so it is OK.

"Approved investment" covers it I think as bullion is an approved investment in the sensible world of the ATO and ASIC.

hi all
funny question
but why hold bullion in a smsf anyway
bullion is very liquidand yes a smsf needs some liquid assets but bullion is the same as cash for me
depending on the currency it move like bullion
as long as you see a profit then for me its fine
depends how you setup the smsf
would I hold in a smsf
no
why to liquid and not enough growth in long term
current growth is good but that because of a problem thats not underlying growth
so for me not for me

hi all
why to liquid and not enough growth in long term
current growth is good but that because of a problem thats not underlying growth
so for me not for me

There is an excellent recent article in forbes magazine, 40 years of Warren Buffett interviews, i received a secured link, but maybe someone can google it.

Anyway it makes for incredible reading, and reinforces my belief that i am approaching things in the right manner.

IF YOU ARE INVESTING, THEN ITS EXACTLY THAT GENERAL CONSENSUS THAT UNDERLYING GROWTH IS THE PROBLEM THAT ALLOWS THE ASSETS TO BE PURCHASED AT REASONABLE PRICES

When general consensus is that everything is rosy and clear, do you honestly think you can pick up assets on the same deal: NO

Why?
because PRICING FOR RISK IS LOWER

bullion is the same as cash for me
depending on the currency it move like bullion

Pick which currency is like gold GR.

z

Gold may turn out to be the best hedge for property.
Suppose it depends on your macro perspective.

Pick which currency is like gold GR.

z

Gold may turn out to be the best hedge for property.
Suppose it depends on your macro perspective.

i hear you on this, but what proportion of golds current price is supported by the underlying fundamentals and what proportion is supported just by the fact that gold represents an incredible trading opportunity.

If one wants to create a 'gold life line' then they need to remove the trading element from the equation.

its perfect for smsf because suer money is dead money anyway and the bullion can act as an insurance policy against disaster...meaning that if the world collpases you can go and cash your bullion for food and argue with the ATO later - if they still exist

its perfect for smsf because suer money is dead money anyway and the bullion can act as an insurance policy against disaster...meaning that if the world collpases you can go and cash your bullion for food and argue with the ATO later - if they still exist

maybe yes and maybe no.
i cant answer this because i honestly think that gold at the moment is an incredible trading opportunity.

However for me a superannuation portfolio is truely a long term investment.
If i can achieve a yld of 10%, the portfolio will 'double' every 7-8 years.
Extrapolate that out over 30 years???????
Plus with super i dont have the tax headaches i have with normal traditional types of investmennts.

For the record, my super is my emergency back up.
I leave it in a 'balanced' setting with an industry super fund.

hopefully i will never 'need' it, but this is just another form of 'insurance' for me.

However for me a superannuation portfolio is truely a long term investment.

The globe has had a massive injection of credit in the last 15 years, well beyond GDP growth. One has to ask if credit can continue to grow at that rate, or continue to slosh around without adverse impact.

The intrinsic value of assets, production capacity, and consumption, are based on that credit over-injection.

I am closer to 55 than you IV, so gold in super is a medium term investment.

Back