Gold Coast in the lead up to Comm Games?

Hey all,

I have one IP on the Gold Coast in Southport (where most of the Comm Games action is happening)?

My question for veteran investors is, should I capitalise on this major event and buy another house (3x2) of pair of units (1x1 ea) in the area, in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games.

Or

Should I diversify and consider Brisbane or Toowoomba??

and what is the general consensus on the Gold Coast market at the moment..?

Much thanks!

p.s just discovered this forum and I am already SO much more armed to make more informed decisions!! love it!

My question for veteran investors is, should I capitalise on this major event and buy another house (3x2) of pair of units (1x1 ea) in the area, in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games.

To "capitalise" on an event that is going to happen like the Comm Games, what are you seeing that will permanently improve in the area? (i.e. is it getting new infrastructure?)

The Y-man

To "capitalise" on an event that is going to happen like the Comm Games, what are you seeing that will permanently improve in the area? (i.e. is it getting new infrastructure?)

The Y-man

Hey Y-man,

From what I can see:

* new light rail/tram system just put in and due for completion end of 2014

* New upgraded GC public hospital

* Extension of Griffith University

* New olympic standard swimming centre.

* the athletes village construction.

* from what i can see there is minimal road upgrades (so far)

? Its hard to know what infrastructure and development will go ahead and what is just media speculation and selling newspapers.

Athlete's village construction is not necessarily a good thing! (New residences available that competes with whatever you own).

The Y-man

Athlete's village construction is not necessarily a good thing! (New residences available that competes with whatever you own).

The Y-man

True.
would you say it would be better to go for a house as an IP, opposed to units? which may become oversupplied with the construction of the village??

J

True.
would you say it would be better to go for a house as an IP, opposed to units? which may become oversupplied with the construction of the village??

J

As a general houses are better in almost any case.

What are the plans for the village? Sometimes govrnments can turn these villages into a housing commission estate (or at least part of it - refer Melbourne Comm Games / Parkville)..... and then of course the athlete's village for the Melbourne Olympics..... well say no more! (Refer thread on Heidelberg West)

The Y-man

Southport has been declared a Priority Development Area, with different planning rules. Check it out on the Gold Coast council website.

Back