Gold-now $US1210/ounce

I posted a chart of the last 12 months of a company that I know people have sold with the intention of buying back cheaper as you have said you would with gold. It doesn't always work.

Look at the chart. Do you think it would be better to have simply sat on the beach or do you think your trading skills are so great that you could pick entry/exit points on that stock? If you can trade that well you should not be posting on a property forum. The world is your oyster.

Of course it doesn't always work. Who ever knows with 100% accuracy what will happen? I should also say that those people that sold may still get there chance to buy back cheaper, but they may not. Thats the risks of the sharemarket.
In the last 10 years I've traded over 1000 parcels of shares. Not heaps, I know. I never regret taking a profit. Sometimes I get to buy back cheaper , sometimes I don't, it doesn't bother me, there is always somewhere else to invest.
My paper gold for example I have sold and bought back around 20 times, often I had sellers remorse, but it has never lasted long as I;ve always been able to buy back cheaper (except twice :D).
Gold is one of the easier ones to trade as every spike so far has had a pullback.

I've yet to time the exact top, and like every other time, this sale still leaves me worried that maybe it was too early, but I've been lucky so far, and tbh, if it hits $1300 before the pullback and I decide to buy back at $1260, I'm still way in front.

Sorry Whatever. I have just put a lot of effort into explaining that I THINK charts mean something. I'm not about to retype my thoughts.

SS has an excellent search function.

Sorry Whatever. I have just put a lot of effort into explaining that I THINK charts mean something. I'm not about to retype my thoughts.

SS has an excellent search function.

I think I have seen all your recent posts on the subject.

There are plenty of people who think charts mean something. That is great, it keeps the market nice and liquid and helps the world go round.

Some have picked a winner or two so are converted for life, others have been stopped out so many times, they have moved on.

I think I have seen all your recent posts on the subject.

There are plenty of people who think charts mean something. That is great, it keeps the market nice and liquid and helps the world go round.

Some have picked a winner or two so are converted for life, others have been stopped out so many times, they have moved on.
So? What is your experience?

So? What is your experience?

Well, investing in shares since about 95, I have learned, it can pay to let a rising investment run. But it also pays to know how to value a company as well, so as soon as I feel its overpriced by more than 10% I'm happy to walk away and never look back.
I can't claim the credit for that strategy, I learned it from Buffett who says how hard it is to pick the exact top or bottom, but if you sell when overpriced and buy when underpriced you cannot do wrong in the long run.

Well, investing in shares since about 95, I have learned, it can pay to let a rising investment run. But it also pays to know how to value a company as well, so as soon as I feel its overpriced by more than 10% I'm happy to walk away and never look back.
I can't claim the credit for that strategy, I learned it from Buffett who says how hard it is to pick the exact top or bottom, but if you sell when overpriced and buy when underpriced you cannot do wrong in the long run.

Another Buffett fan. :slaps forehead:

Not just Buffett, many others use this strategy. Its just that Buffett was probably the first to document it that I'm aware of so he tends to get all the credit.

I am a value investor at heart, and buying cheap and selling expensive has worked pretty well for most people, including me.

Not just Buffett, many others use this strategy. Its just that Buffett was probably the first to document it that I'm aware of so he tends to get all the credit.

I am a value investor at heart, and buying cheap and selling expensive has worked pretty well for most people, including me.
Buffett has never documented anything. He was a student of Graham.

And this:buying cheap and selling expensive has worked pretty well for most people, including me. is like saying I want a Hollywood starlet to wake me up in the morning. It may be everyone's dreams but I want to know how you do it without this "value" crap. If you have a genuine formula to gauge it then OK, you have a right to keep it to yourself. If you simply quote a Buffett book that has not yet been written then I am entitled to call you a dreamer.

BTW I wish you well and if that starlet wakes you up in the morning, feel free to give me a big rassberry! :D

oh this is really a killer. i havent had such a good laugh in ages.
You willy nilly quote buffet.
HAVE YOU HEARD WHAT BUFFETT said about gold:
he cant understand why people travel around the world, spend money to dig it up, and then bury it somewhere else in the world.:D

I love it when people just quip about buffett methodology as though it applies to every share.

AND IF BUFFETT SELLS A SHARE WHEN ITS 10% over valued, why is his holding period so long. why is the churn in his portfolio so low????

SHMUCK ALERT

Buffett has never documented anything. He was a student of Graham.

And this:buying cheap and selling expensive has worked pretty well for most people, including me. is like saying I want a Hollywood starlet to wake me up in the morning. It may be everyone's dreams but I want to know how you do it without this "value" crap. If you have a genuine formula to gauge it then OK, you have a right to keep it to yourself. If you simply quote a Buffett book that has not yet been written then I am entitled to call you a dreamer.

BTW I wish you well and if that starlet wakes you up in the morning, feel free to give me a big rassberry! :D

Ok, here is my "secret" formula. It has come from a lot of education and experience so am happy to share it because I have found most people will misinterpret aspects of my strategy anyway.

Not in any particular order -

I don't follow charts but look at them out of interest.
I don't follow herds but have been known to do the opposite of the herd.
I know how to value companies and their expected future earnings.
I understand how to price risk
I don't avoid risk but price it accordingly.
I'm not scared to sell on an uptrend if my valuation has been reached.
I don't fall in love with a company and will walk away if the risk/reward payout ratio changes as will often happen.
I use market dips to buy stocks on my watchlist.
I don't meet the seller on the buy price. Market dips usually forces the seller to come to me.

There are probably more but I'm tired and you probably switched off at point 1so I'll leave it for now.

you honestly think buffet is going to give away his secrets . pfffft

plus look at the trading performace of citi , gs , ms, boa,
all perfect quarters they made money every day they traded in the first quarter . buffet + bankers +fed= hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:.

I rarely do pick the bottom of a dip, and when I do its probably just luck.

If there is a market dip and all other of my criteria are satisfied, thats when I buy.

when you see the price break out from current down trend .. those pesky charts tell you that i you can interpret them.

This has become a circular argument hasn't it? I don't trust charts that much.

I was pretty sure that it was just a bear trap a year ago so never bought much but that's OK I don't have to lighten up now. :D Missed a bit of profit of course but such is life.

Back