Gong Xia Fai Choi

Biz in Year of Water Dragon:
seize opportunities for new conquests, greater profitability & company growth http://ow.ly/8Cklj

Water Dragon is more yielding than other types. Still has fire but not as strident. Sounds well placed for 2012 biz negotiations

Chinese New Yr, not a time more resolutions. I say more yum cha and Jasmine Tea sipping !

Dragon year is said to be a good year for courage and prosperity.

They do say fortune favours the brave!

As for prosperity I wish all who read this a wealth of love and passion in their lives from this year foward.
For those looking for someone special, I hope you can say you met your love in the year of the dragon.

Let's sip our jasmine tea to that!

Insert sound of gongs and cymbals as the Lion Dancers go by.

I hope so......................
logosgi1.jpg

Attachments

• logosgi1.jpg
    logosgi1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 69
or this 新年快乐 :)

this is the traditional 'formal' quote, writen and oral (xin nian kuai le). Guo nian hao is the 'oral' quote (both heavily mainland chinese orientated)
Gong Xi Fat Choi and it equivalents are more from the overseas chinese, especially those of cantonese back ground, its literal translation is not so much a happy new year, but rather a prosperous new year.

This is where translations have to be adopted for their underlying cultral meaning. At the end the English underlying meaning equivalent is still:
"Happy New Year"

this is the traditional 'formal' quote, writen and oral (xin nian kuai le). Guo nian hao is the 'oral' quote (both heavily mainland chinese orientated)
Gong Xi Fat Choi and it equivalents are more from the overseas chinese, especially those of cantonese back ground, its literal translation is not so much a happy new year, but rather a prosperous new year.

This is where translations have to be adopted for their underlying cultral meaning. At the end the English underlying meaning equivalent is still:
"Happy New Year"

I find the literal translations interesting as well, the different sayings across cultures/languages.

Gong Xi Fa Cai is in mandarin.

Well really Gong1 Xi3 Fa1 Cai1 to be accurate.. hoping that my pitch is correct! The numbers is to indicate the pitch.

Gong Hey Fatt Choi is in Cantonese. Same words but entire different language. If you understood one but not the other, you could be saying the same words but not understand each other.

We took the office to yum cha yesterday - we're on the fringe of Chinatown in Sydney. We go every month or so to yum cha. Thank goodness we missed the dragon yesterday. Anybody been in a Chinese restaurant at new year when the dragon has come in and done his thing? Goes on for ages and is spectacularly noisy.

Gong Xi Fa Cai is in mandarin.

Well really Gong1 Xi3 Fa1 Cai1 to be accurate.. hoping that my pitch is correct! The numbers is to indicate the pitch.

Gong Hey Fatt Choi is in Cantonese. Same words but entire different language. If you understood one but not the other, you could be saying the same words but not understand each other.

Yeah I just got in trouble for sending the wrong translation to my Cantonese mate.

Interesting the emphases in on pitch and sounds and not the actual words.
Also interesting how they have nothing for the letter R ,so their mouth/tongue
mussels are not trained for the R so have a lot of trouble saying R

Thank goodness we missed the dragon yesterday. Anybody been in a Chinese restaurant at new year when the dragon has come in and done his thing? Goes on for ages and is spectacularly noisy.
Yep, have done chinese new year at restuarants a few times, agree very noisy. But fun, something different.

Anybody been in a Chinese restaurant at new year when the dragon has come in and done his thing? Goes on for ages and is spectacularly noisy.

I LOOOOOVE IT.

btw I learned from a colleague in Singapore that it is a lion.

Lion dancers.... by far more my preference than line dancers.

Jealous! Wahhhh.

Did they have chicken feet. A colleague, usually conservative in palate, picked one up whist engaged in animated conversation.

His face was a picture when he looked down and saw talons coming towards him.

He thought it was a bbq spare rib!

Back