Good/bad areas in Mackay/Yeppoon ?

My wife and I are considering moving to Mackay or Yeppoon later this year so we are starting the research now. We'll visit these towns before buying of course but it would help to narrow the search while we're internet searching.

Two questions for those of you who live in these towns....
(1) are there any "bad" suburbs we should avoid ? (Bad means full of yobbos and ferals or next to an abbatoir/smelter or similar).
(2) are there any "good" suburbs worth investigating ? (Good means quiet and less than 10 minutes drive to the marina).
We are retirees so no need to be close to schools.

In Mackay, East Mackay and parts of South Mackay are generally not well regarded, Boddington Street in particular has a bad rep. The northern beach area suburbs generally pretty good, but a drive needed to practically everything.

Mackay Marina itself has apartments directly adjacent to the marina area, but a bit disconnected from the rest of the city.

Yeppoon and the Capricorn Coast doesn't really have bad areas that stand out per say although there always seem to be plenty of hooning stories about Emu Park. Decent shopping and services are about 45 minutes away in Rockhampton.

Last edited:
I'd retire to Yeppoon given the choice. Rosslyn Bay Marina is a good 10min drive from the CBD (Ok, it's a 1 main street town). It's a sleepy seaside town which is much more conducive to retiree living.

Mackay has a highrise and apartment living at the Marina, and a small precinct. Safe and quite nice.

As Norwoodman said above, the areas mentioned in Mackay are not retirement material.

pinkboy

Thanks guys.
For Mackay: what about the suburbs "North Mackay" through to "Mount Pleasant" (east of the Mackay Bucasia Rd through to the west of Mackay Slade Point Rd) ?
I drove through there about 5 years ago and it looked okay (got to be aware of the flooding though).
For Yeppoon: I've never been there. Are there basic services missing (like a dentist or doctor or a car mechanic for example) that require tripping into Rockhampton ?

Thanks guys.
For Mackay: what about the suburbs "North Mackay" through to "Mount Pleasant" (east of the Mackay Bucasia Rd through to the west of Mackay Slade Point Rd) ?
I drove through there about 5 years ago and it looked okay (got to be aware of the flooding though).
For Yeppoon: I've never been there. Are there basic services missing (like a dentist or doctor or a car mechanic for example) that require tripping into Rockhampton ?

'North Mackay' is old. Mt. Pleasant is ok, a better choice for retirees. Slade Point (I have industrial sheds there, and an IP) is rough. Lamberts Beach around the Slade Point corner is ok.

Yeppoon has all services. You wouldnt need to go to Rockhampton for anything except decent hospital care. All essential services are in Yeppoon, although some may be limited.

If I were you, I would visit Mackay for a look first, because I know you will discount it as soon as you drive into Yeppoon when you crest the final hill and see that big beautiful ocean with Keppel in the background!

If you have any really specific questions, PM me. I live in Mackay, but went to boarding school in Yeppoon and have been going there several times annually since (15yrs), so know the area quite well.

pinkboy

Yeppon has grown greatly over the last few years and would be my pick, lots of services available and what isn't is available in Rocky nearby. Mackay is okay but you would need to pick your desired area/suburb more carefully.
Both have a great climate, there might be some good buying opportunities in Mackay with the downturn in the coal industry IMO

Mackay is a fantastic place to retire to. I have lived here for over 40 years, so I guess I am kind of an expert. By all means, come over to check it out! The mining boom may be over, but the long time locals like it like that. Hopefully our city will return to the picturesque, vibrant and relaxed state it was before the mining yobbos wrecked the infrastructure, the values and the attitude of the people. Mackay' s main virtue is its weather, was its stability and it's calm. Perfect for families, not so perfect for partying and cosmopolitan lifestyles. It will regain it's composure. My pick for a thorough investigation? Northern Beaches of course! ( and Blacks beach cove is only a minute disaster compared to the rest of the area)
Mackay council is far from " broke" as someone stated somewhere. Here is a small slice of inspiration-

http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/__data...64/Background_and_Structure_Plan_-_Part_A.pdf

http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/busine.../local_area_plans/city_centre_local_area_plan

http://teq.queensland.com/~/media/1A111395AF6C4BC6A108FDF6032D7AB7.ashx

Back