Good DA / Council Dispute Lawyer (Sydney Willoughby Council)

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good lawyer to consult in regards to a DA and council ward recommendation report from Willoughby council in Sydney.

Does anyone know a gun local lawyer / solicitor that is experienced in dealing with such disputes from that council?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thatbum,

Its more around a DA (modification of an existing premises) and I am asking on behalf of a friend who is now embroiled in a dispute with the neighbour over the changes. The neighbour has engaged a solicitor and the council is involved as well so I was thinking that they should get a solicitor as well or they would be at a disadvantage right?

Not knowing the exact situation - but my first thoughts are I'd be finding out what the council thinks of the application and that, if the application is council compliant, the neighbour can go whinge and waste their money on all the lawyers they like.

Your friend engaging a lawyer at this stage is a waste of money and will do nothing to help the application situation - and - if it did go to court - it would be between the council (authorising body) and your neighbour.

Some people just hate change of any sort and will go for the throat first (the neighbour)

Thanks Lizzie, the council has come back and the issue is around my friend and his team (builder, architect) who doesn't agree with all the changes that the council has made to the planned modifications.

I understand there will be further allowance for an appeal but its just a very difficult process (especially with a difficult neighbor) and we were thinking maybe it would be better to consult with a legal professional. I know what you mean about just wasting money though but he feels a bit blind at the moment navigating this process.

I guess taking a step back, what are the best ways to deal with the council in changing the conditions of their approval for a DA, which are too onerous and costly, given that the neighbor is making heaps of noise to the council.

i would think a private town planner would be your friend than a solicitor that vaguely understand of the DCP, though the solicitor will have their preferred planner contacts, but your friend might end up paying both the solicitor and planner.

Lawyer plus town planner engaged. Been there. Get ready for lots of letters and writing lots of cheques. You have my sympathy. Councils in general are pretty much scum of the earth IMO. LL.

Lawyer plus town planner engaged. Been there. Get ready for lots of letters and writing lots of cheques. You have my sympathy. Councils in general are pretty much scum of the earth IMO. LL.

Yet these same council make so much money from contribution fees that they charge developers and cry poor when you complain about massive pot holes on the roads.

Yet these same council make so much money from contribution fees that they charge developers and cry poor when you complain about massive pot holes on the roads.
Councils have a HUGE unchallenged monopoly in our society. Their main aim in life is feathering their own nest and building their empires. If ever they get constitutional recognition as the legitimate third level of gov't. be worried. It's the only 'level' of gov't that has no opposition to keep them honest. I detest them with a passion. LL

Thanks guys, its been taken to the full council now for determination - not sure if its a good or bad thing.

Thanks for the tips on getting a good town planner as well!

Councils have a HUGE unchallenged monopoly in our society.... It's the only 'level' of gov't that has no opposition to keep them honest. I detest them with a passion. LL
Not true at all. I am dealing with one of the largest western suburbs councils atm and there is a delicate balance of power. Very politically aligned on both sides. The numbers are stacked depending on the issues or the ward. The person holding the balance of power swings both ways oops has voted both ways but won't be drawn on some issues.

Back