Good Investment accountant/broker Rouse Hill/Kellyville NSW area

Hey guys, I'm very new to property investing and I know I need to get a team together first so I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend and good brokers or accountants that will actually help to progress my future portfolio.

I'm flexible with location. I think that word of mouth sells better than just googling

Thanks in advance
Matt

Hi Matt,

These days both accountant and brokers don't really need to be local, unless you feel more comfortable seeing them face to face. Skype, email and phone make it all very easy to do long distance.

Have a read of the forums and you'll get a feel for who knows their stuff. There are plenty of Sydney brokers and accountants on here if you do prefer local - Redom springs to mind but he might be busy now that he's famous! :)

I highly recommend Hank Hong from Home Loan Experts. They are based in Burwood. He is incredibly efficient and responsive by phone/e-mail.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I do prefer face to face for some reason but i'm not totally opposed to doing it over the phone/email.
I'll look into Hank and do some searching on here

Cheers
Matt

I would avoid using "locals". They may only have local experience. I have clients across this globe and country. I like in Kellyville but don't work there. I cant say I know of the reputation for any local tax people there.

I try and avoid face to face as its too time consuming for clients. I welcome client emails, calls etc. Its better to do that than face to face with someone who cant communicate well who happens to be local.

Brokers all travel. Its their job.

One thing to watch. An accountant wont (and shouldn't) guide your financial decisions. I can guide your journey and explain all the tax issues no worry but when I get asked if you should buy A or B its a matter for you to decide. Beware of accountants we do help - They may be the sorts that will make $ from your decision. I don't sell or introduce ANY property for that reason. Beware of conflicted advice.

Brokers all travel. Its their job.

Not all travel and do home visits. A lot of those starting out do - but I don't know if you'd find too many established brokers doing home visits (it's not efficient). I could be wrong - but most of the brokers that I know of work from an office during business hours.

Cheers

Jamie

Agreed Jamie. It's not a good use of time and that time could be better spent getting peoples loans approved.

Of the best and most successful brokers I know, all of them deal over the phone or in their own office. It's very rare they do home visits.

I've also noticed that the people who insist the broker comes to them, don't make very good clients. They're more likely to avoid or give bad information, be indecisive, and generally make the process more difficult.

Heya, plenty of good operators in Sydney on the forums. Plenty of good operators outside Sydney too. If you prefer face to face, you can find someone with the relevant skill set locally.

As a broker IMO i think there's two sides to it the 'face to face' vs 'online interaction' issue. I definitely agree its much more efficient to work over email/phone/skype. Completely agree that most of the structuring and outcomes in terms of loan structuring are relatively independent of whether there is a face to face interaction or not.

In saying that, a one off face to face IMO has pretty large benefits at building relationships. All else equal, a face to face meeting will generally aide this compared to working online with someone.

Personally, I've found incredible benefits to both my clients and my business from seeing all of my clients face to face at some point. Admittedly, its taken a toll on me and i spend a lot of my time travelling, working at airports on the run, away from home, etc - but i consider it part and parcel of running a successful business and the legwork associated with being a broker.

I'm also compensated reasonably well for it, so from an economic sense, its a fair trade-off and doesn't seem to be an unreasonable expectation from a client.

As an aside, i'm not sure how brokers overcome identification requirements that are part of plenty of loan applications. We sign of on a document stating we've personally interviewed the client face to face and identified documents and signatures. Perhaps its the way i've been trained as a newer entrant in the industry or i haven't explored how to get around it - but pretty sure its a requirement in WA/SA/NSW now. The other brokers i deal with in Sydney that operate national businesses also go through the same travelling slog.

Cheers,
Redom

OK fewer brokers travel. Some do and likely to be reducing. Peters comments about the type of client who expects them to come to them seems like people who don't value the broker as much as they expect the service to be on their terms. Not ideal clients.

I can definitely see reasons why they (like any business owner) would want to be certain of the client commitment before committing time to travel both ways etc. I don't expect client face to face for same reasons. I value THEIR time and the inconvenience and time involved in travel. A 30min meeting can consume 3hrs.

OK fewer brokers travel. Some do and likely to be reducing. Peters comments about the type of client who expects them to come to them seems like people who don't value the broker as much as they expect the service to be on their terms. Not ideal clients.

I can definitely see reasons why they (like any business owner) would want to be certain of the client commitment before committing time to travel both ways etc. I don't expect client face to face for same reasons. I value THEIR time and the inconvenience and time involved in travel. A 30min meeting can consume 3hrs.

Oh definitely - if you operate a 'face to face' model, than being selective about meetings is definitely important. There's only so much time in a day and the costs may outweigh the benefits of taking meetings where the intentions are questionable.

Redom what is the address of your office and what's your landline number?

My understanding is you've been a broker for less than 12 months. Like most brokers starting out you're probably working out of the spare room at home. This generally makes home visits a necessity. I've been there and honestly home visits are not the best outcome for either party.

I'd strongly suggest that as soon as your business is able, you do invest in an office. Here's just some of the benefits of this from a clients perspective:

* We get straight down to business. Most people like to get straight into it. There's less time wasted waiting for everyone to come to the table, dealing with putting kids to bed, clearing the dishes. Clients bring their kids to the office who love playing with the Lego and other toys (we cater for kids aged 2-70 and there's a comfortable private place for Mums to breastfeed those under 2).

* Clearer communications. Clients see my presentation on a HUGE 70 inch screen, not a 10 inch laptop. It's instantly clear what's going on, they can see the information I'm working with.

* Resources are in the office. There's no chance I didn't bring a particular document. I can get clear copies of clients documentation rather than relying on a home printer that sometimes doesn't work. No chance of internet outage due to poor reception.

* More time is spent working for the client, not driving a car. I actually enjoy travelling because it's a chance to listen to audio books; I wish I did more of it. However it's in the clients interest to spend more time on getting the problem solved and the loan approved.

* People often don't like having a stranger in their house at dinner time. It's actually kind of creepy when you think about it.

* Frankly people don't want to deal with amateurs. A mobile phone, home office and working extreme hours isn't professional. People do recognise that others need work life balance as well.

The benefits to the broker are clear. More efficient, less stress, better resources at your fingertips, better quality clients, more time spent with family. I think you'll also find that once your business is more established, you spend more and more time on client maintenance. It's necessary but doesn't make you any more money. Being more efficient is critical both from a cost and time perspective. The same can be said for any other profession.

I certainly agree that face to face meetings are the best outcome for clients where possible, but I'd also prefer to put my faith in someone who's been publically posting their experiences for years, rather than someone picked at random with no history that I can access. Sometimes working over the phone can be tricky, but usually it's fairly straight forward. Sometimes putting things in writing also clarifies things for everyone involved as well (operating via email can sometimes make things clearer than a conversation).

You've implied that other brokers are breaking the law by not meeting clients fact to face, this is not true. There's more than one way to legally identify people you don't meet and most lenders will make exceptions to face to face requirements if you can address their risk. If this wasn't possible, online lenders such as UBank wouldn't be in business. This really isn't a big deal once you've got the experience and networks to deal with it.

Last edited:
Peter, i made it very clear that it was 'face to face' vs 'online'. Not shopfront vs home visits. If anything, a shopfront inclines itself to the face to face model.

Not sure whats got you so worked up, or the need for any of that above, particularly given my post had nothing to do with you, nor did i insinuate anyone was breaking the law.

In terms of any accusations of unprofessionalism, i'm reasonably sure that my clients are very happy with my model of working. In terms of results, client satisfaction is always the first goal - and i'm sure that most clients are very happy with the service i offer. I suspect that most clients of most SS brokers would say the same thing about their broker. Yourself included.

In any case, i'm reasonably sure i'd be up there with the top performing young brokers in the country. I know others doing fantastic for themselves too with the same model (always available, service model, no shopfront, etc). That doesn't happen by being unprofessional. I also think young brokers doing well is a fantastic success for the industry itself and good for the consumer too.

So i'll continue to run my business the way that works for my clients. Really appreciate you looking out for me though :cool: I'll take on board your tip about the comically large TV.

Actually you did kind of insinuate others were breaking the law, you just softened it a bit with, "Perhaps its the way i've been trained as a newer entrant in the industry..." Your comments subtly had a go at a lot of great brokers on Somersoft whilst making yourself look like the good guy. I admit this got me a bit annoyed.

The whole discussion is about brokers travelling. Not face to face vs online. Jamie's response and my agreement on this was fairly clear.

I know lots of really great brokers too. They all work from an office, the best are able to manage their time really well and only operate from 9-5 (I'm still working on that). What works for each individual is up to them.

The big TV is a good tip, it's worth looking into.

Last edited:
Actually you did kind of insinuate others were breaking the law, you just softened it a bit with, "Perhaps its the way i've been trained as a newer entrant in the industry..." Your comments subtly had a go at a lot of great brokers on Somersoft whilst making yourself look like the good guy. I admit this got me a bit annoyed.

The whole discussion is about brokers travelling. Not face to face vs online. Jamie's response and my agreement on this was fairly clear.

I know lots of really great brokers too. They all work from an office, the best are able to manage their time really well and only operate from 9-5 (I'm still working on that). What works for each individual is up to them.

The big TV is a good tip, it's worth looking into.

Peter, I didn't intend to insult other broker models at all, I questioned how brokers get around it and said very clearly that I haven't explored how to get around it. At the time of writing, I had ANZ questioning whether I personally interviewed a guarantor on a loan as she is located in a different state. Your simple clarification or response would have done the trick.

We all have different models of running our businesses. I've set myself up to meet my clients face to face across the country. I spend a week once every month or so travelling to Melbourne and Brisbane. The other three weeks I split between my Sydney and Canberra clients. I believe this allows me to provide my clients the best service I can offer. As a people person, it also plays to my strengths. I appreciate this model may not be the best for all brokers, but it's the one that works for me.

The alternative would be a physical office, which as you've outlined has its pro's. However, it doesn't assist my business goal of meeting all my clients face to face across Australia. Not having an office doesn't mean a broker is 'unprofessional' or an 'amateur', particularly in the modern business environment.

As you know, I'm happy to engage in friendly debates on these forums, but we should maintain a healthy professional respect. Making accusations about my professionalisms is not in the spirit of the forum.

Redom

I've stopped doing loans for those in SA, WA and VIC because of the VOI requirements unless it fits with Westpac or the lender is happy to do Aust post ID (AMP and a few others). I certainly don't have enough time to visit people interstate!

I am still trying to work out how Ubank and homeloans.com.au etc mange to get around this. One rule for us another for the lenders I suspect.

I'm not totally opposed to doing things online or over the phone but as someone said, it may have been Redom, I do like to have that face to face so I can get that closer relationship and a visual of who I'm talking to. You can get to know someone and how confident they are in what they say by speaking to someone face to face. But hey thats me and it might not be for everyone

Back