Good Left Behind

The question as to what to do with rubbish and perishable items left behind after a tenant moves out has been asked in different posts so I thought I would post the below as applicable to NSW.

If other could do their respective states it may be useful to future posters.

In NSW, if the items are perishable and/or rubbish, they can be disposed of immediately. For all other goods a landlord is required to make reasonable attempts to notify the former tenant that their goods will be disposed of unless collected within a certain period.

General goods such as furniture and clothing must be held for at least 14 days. If there are personal documents such as photos and bank statements, these need to be kept for at least 90 days.

Landlord and property agents have to make a reasonable effort to notify the former tenant about the goods they have left behind. The notification is recommended to be issued in writing wherever possible. If in person or over the telephone/email, copies of the conversation need to be detailed.

The tenant must be allowed the opportunity to can collect their goods during the notice period.

A tenant may be charged for the storage of item only if sufficient goods have been left behind to hinder re-letting of the premises. In these situations, landlords can only charge a storage fee which is equal to the rent. A maximum of 2 weeks fee can be charged.

If the tenant cannot be contacted or refuses to collect the items the landlord or agent can dispose of the items after the end of the notice periods in any appropriate legal manner.

Any official documents such as Senior cards, Medicare cards and the like should be returned to the issuing authority.

Hope this helps.

VIC is a bit different. Contact consumer affairs and request an 'inspection of goods left behind'.

If the value of goods is deemed to be more than the cost of storing them then you may be required to store the goods, arrange advertising and auction etc. I've never had this happen and I've had cars left behind! If stored the items must be advertised in newspapers and the rightful owner must have the option to collect goods prior to auction.

99% of the time, consumer affairs will inspect, give you a piece of paper advising that you're allowed to dispose of the items and away you go and throw it all out.

Back