Good news from a trifecta of bad news

Consumer confidence at 16-year low

Sid Maher | June 12, 2008

RECORD petrol prices, fears about inflation and rising interest rates have sparked a collapse in consumer confidence to a 16-year low, as households suffer increasing fears about their finances and the potential for the economy to falter over the coming year.

The Westpac-Melbourne Institute index of consumer sentiment slumped by 5.6 per cent in the past month to 84.7 points, itslowest since the nation was emerging from "the recession we had to have" in December1992.

The index has now been below 100 - the level at which pessimists outnumber optimists - for five months in a row. It was sitting at an optimistic 121.5points this time last year.

The Rudd Government has consistently warned about the dangers of rising inflation since winning office in November, and price pressures on households have been intensified by a record spike in oil prices that has pushed the bowser cost of petrol above $1.60 alitre.

Westpac chief economist Bill Evans said spiralling petrol prices were likely to have been the main driver behind the sharp drop in consumer sentiment. But inflation also figured prominently in the collective psyche of consumers, with the number of survey respondents mentioning news items about inflation rising dramatically to 61.8 per cent from 15.2per cent a year ago.

Mr Evans said Westpac was surprised by the sharp drop in consumer confidence.

"Over the past five years, large falls in the index have almost always been associated with a negative response to the announcement of higher mortgage rates," he said. "There was no such announcement affecting this result."

With interest rates steady at a 12-year high of 7.25 per cent for the past three months, Mr Evans said the fall in confidence could be attributed to the spike in petrol prices as crude oil continues toset new records on international markets.

"It appears petrol prices are second only to interest rates in affecting the sentiment of consumers," Mr Evans said, pointing to a similar fall in confidence after the spike in petrol prices following Hurricane Katrina in the US in 2005.

Acting Treasurer Lindsay Tanner said the Government recognised the pressure working people were under, but that initiatives contained in the May budget were designed to ease the strain.

"The Government is acutely aware that many Australians are doing it tough and this is inevitably reflected in consumer confidence indicators," Mr Tanner said. "Our leading budget initiatives, particularly tax cuts, education tax credit and the increased childcare tax rebate, are all designed to ease the financial pressure on working people and offset the impact of rising petrol, food and housing costs."

But Opposition Treasury spokesman Malcolm Turnbull said the survey results were of "great concern" and they ultimately reflected a loss of confidence in the Rudd Government's handling of the economy.

"Consumer confidence held up well throughout the Howard years, through the Asian financial crisis, the September 11 terrorist attacks, the tech bubble, SARS and the worst drought in 100 years," he said. "Yet since the Rudd Government came to office in November last year, the index has dropped 23.3per cent and is now at its lowest level since December 1992 - when Labor was last in office."

Some economists believe the Reserve Bank board, which next meets on July 1, will have to raise interest rates further to contain inflationary pressures in the economy. But NAB senior market economist Spiros Papadopoulos said the latest figures added to evidence the economy was slowing enough to stay the Reserve Bank's hand.

Respondents to the survey are overwhelmingly pessimistic about family finances, with confidence plunging 33.7per cent in the past year. Asked about the outlook for family finances in the coming 12 months, pessimists and optimists are evenly split.

Australians are much more despondent about the 12-month outlook for the Australian economy, with sentiment crashing 43.9per cent in the past year as the Reserve Bank raised interest rates four times in a row.

According to the survey, the biggest rise in pessimism in the past year is among professionals, higher-income earners and mortgagees. Sentiment among mortgage holders, who are now enduring home loan rates approaching 10per cent, has plunged 33per cent in the past year.

Australians on incomes above $60,000, and those living in the cities, have become much more pessimistic about the economy than those on lower incomes or in regional areas.

Coalition voters are the most gloomy about the economic outlook. In June last year, sentiment among Coalition voters was rated at an optimistic 136.3 points, compared with just 76.4 points now. Among Labor voters, pessimists only narrowly outweigh optimists, with an index score of 95.9 points.

The survey also finds a big fall in confidence in the stock market and real estate as a place to park family finances. Just 11.3per cent of respondents consider the stock market the best place to invest savings, down from 17per cent this time last year, with real estate favoured by only 14.7per cent, down from 19.7per cent.

Reflecting uncertainty in financial and property markets, 29.7per cent of people think banks are the best place for savings, up from 19.2per cent this time last year. One in five people say paying back debt is the best thing to do with their cash, double the level in June last year.

The consumer confidence survey follows the release of March quarter national accounts last week that suggested the Reserve Bank's campaign of rate rises was slowing consumer spending but had not brought it to a standstill.

The 0.6 percentage point growth in the economy in the first three months of the year was much faster than either the Reserve Bank or Treasury was expecting, but is not likely to bring forward further rate rises.

Growth in household spending was halved to 0.7per cent. However, the national accounts underlined the grip inflation had on the economy, with prices rising 1per cent in the quarter.

Citigroup co-head of economic and market analysis Paul Brennan said the present petrol prices, if sustained, would erode about half of the boost to household incomes provided by the federal budget.

Additional reporting: Nicola Berkovic, Clive Mathieson

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23850376-2702,00.html

It seems the rise in petrol is hastening the slow-down in the economy and taking up more of the burden previously shouldered by IR rises. The full effect of IR rises have yet to flow through to tenants because of lease periods. The petrol rises will erode about half of the boost to household income from the fed budget (above), however with the IR rises and impact on mortgages (LLs and OOs), my guess is that the duo will almost negate the entire inflationary effect of the budget boost. So, recessionary rather than inflationary conditions may influence the consumption preferences of most low-medium income earners.

What the two above missed the drop in the stockmarket will pick up with its impact on consumption behavior, particularly on the affluent segments of society, when the reports of super performance are distributed by July-Sept.

The trio of gloomy clouds, the darker and faster, is what I think will bring forth the silver lining of the RBA's hand in reducing IRs. The sharper and stronger the pain will attract sooner govt and RBA priority to apply relief.

IMHO, provided petrol price stays high, there is a good chance for interest relief to PIs later this year, at which time may provide a window for relief for PIs, OOs and small businesses. :)

If high petrol prices mean a drop in interest rates, then bring it on! Let's make it $2 a litre!! and whack the ciggies up another $5 a packet while you're at it - or even $10. Serves 'em right.

Go easy on the grog though, thanks.

I can easily curb (and do) my petrol consumption, and it is not a controlling factor in my day to day financial life.

Small potatoes compared to my investment debt.

yeah, I think the increase in petrol prices is enough to put a strain on the economy without further interest rate rises. We don't just pay for increased petrol prices at the pump, we pay for it in everything due to increased transport & logisitics costs.

My 6 cylinder car cost me about $50/week to run and and I'm only doing 200-250km because everything is 5mins away... if I was in a major city, I'd be looking at $150/week to run it, minimum. But then again, I'd definitely be selling and buying an excel or getz to save on fuel, no joke.

i think the tail is wagging the dog in this argument. higher petrol prices will fuel inflation. the BA is fixated on inflation and consumer sentiment is just a by product of its actions. if inflation is rising despite falling consumer sentiment, then consumer sentiment needs to be beaten down even more.

i hope i am wrong but i think we are dreaming to be looking for reducing interest rates, not until we get some serious recessionary indicators setting in anyway. whether that can happen with such external demand for resources I don't know. it' all so confusing and uncertain.

i think the tail is wagging the dog in this argument. higher petrol prices will fuel inflation. the BA is fixated on inflation and consumer sentiment is just a by product of its actions. if inflation is rising despite falling consumer sentiment, then consumer sentiment needs to be beaten down even more.

i hope i am wrong but i think we are dreaming to be looking for reducing interest rates, not until we get some serious recessionary indicators setting in anyway. whether that can happen with such external demand for resources I don't know. it' all so confusing and uncertain.

I think small business is starting to stop hiring and layoffs will start coming and showing up in the unemployment figures. I have noticed Saturday sales in my local Bunnings being down and recent advertised sales at rival Magnet Mart look quite competitive pricing. I have come across media reports about the slow down in discretionary spending impacting on retail, first Myers, Nick Scali and recently stockmarket disenchantment with Harvey Norman (downgrading projection?). Tourism's already impacted, note the promotions in NSW and Qld. Migrant numbers coming in about this time will have an impact on unemployment as well. Time will tell, but recent unemployment figures for March and April have been revised upwards or stayed at higher level? (I believe I read it somewhere.) All in, I expect unemployment to start biting in the months ahead due to impacts of petrol and IR on retail, hospitalityl and tourism.

Note the analysis (extract below) by Westpac chief economist that this time the big drop in consumer sentiment is related more likely to the spiralling petrol price and not the IR:

Westpac chief economist Bill Evans said spiralling petrol prices were likely to have been the main driver behind the sharp drop in consumer sentiment. But inflation also figured prominently in the collective psyche of consumers, with the number of survey respondents mentioning news items about inflation rising dramatically to 61.8 per cent from 15.2per cent a year ago.

Mr Evans said Westpac was surprised by the sharp drop in consumer confidence.

"Over the past five years, large falls in the index have almost always been associated with a negative response to the announcement of higher mortgage rates," he said. "There was no such announcement affecting this result."

With interest rates steady at a 12-year high of 7.25 per cent for the past three months, Mr Evans said the fall in confidence could be attributed to the spike in petrol prices as crude oil continues toset new records on international markets.

Rates are at 12 year highs (or whatever) hence it has to contribute to consumer confidence. Petrol is but one factor. Whats an additional $20 a week in fuel for median income families? If rates were back at 4%, petrol can be at $2 a litre and it won't move the index a bit.

I always look forward to listening attentively to Economists backward looking analysis. We all know aim well at the dart board before coming out with their predictions anyway.

You'd be better off without it LA!

If they are going to hit AlcoPops with the heavy taxes then I say - be fair and hit the lot!

Guess who's a Tee-totaler. :D

I used to be a tee-totaler for a while...drove me to drink! :p

Seriously though, I have a glass of wine or a beer most nights with dinner and that's about it - no other vices except this forum.

Rates are at 12 year highs (or whatever) hence it has to contribute to consumer confidence. Petrol is but one factor. Whats an additional $20 a week in fuel for median income families? If rates were back at 4%, petrol can be at $2 a litre and it won't move the index a bit.

Sadly, for many families, a raise of $20 per week is a BIG deal; even when rates aren't climbing.

It's the same old story of expanding the lifestyle to meet the income - they've already spent the money on other stuff, and if the rates drop the smart ones will pay more off their home loans, but mostly - people just spend it and don't factor rises in things like fuel and energy cost increases.

I see a lot of wage cases in the news coming through with unionised industries such as teachers, electricty workers, public hospital doctors, air traffic controllers etc. My concerns are that there will be a wage price spiral which will further entrench inflation.

Cheers

Shane

Sadly, for many families, a raise of $20 per week is a BIG deal; even when rates aren't climbing.

It's the same old story of expanding the lifestyle to meet the income - they've already spent the money on other stuff, and if the rates drop the smart ones will pay more off their home loans, but mostly - people just spend it and don't factor rises in things like fuel and energy cost increases.

Sorry, but if families can't budget an additional $20/week there is a problem with the financial capabilities of the adults.

I see a lot of wage cases in the news coming through with unionised industries such as teachers, electricty workers, public hospital doctors, air traffic controllers etc. My concerns are that there will be a wage price spiral which will further entrench inflation.

Cheers

Shane

Unemployment is feeding through from last month, a sign of containing wage rises, from measures such as skilled migrant intake, federal employment reduction and current sectors under stress from oil and IR rises, ie retail, hospitality and tourism. Only mining and agriculture sectors are open to wage rises. Consensus expectation of 2 rate rises later this year has been downgraded to 1:

---------------
Job slump and price hikes fuel stagflation fear

* Font Size: Decrease Increase
* Print Page: Print

David Uren and Lenore Taylor | June 13, 2008

THE longest run of sustained employment growth in more than three decades has come to an end with the loss of 20,000 jobs last month.

Raising the spectre of a repeat of the "stagflation", a combination of high inflation and low growth that occurred in the 1970s, the fall in jobs was accompanied by the release of a survey showing that consumers expected prices would soar by an average of 5.9 per cent over the next year.

The Melbourne Institute survey, sponsored by the Reserve Bank, shows that only 8 per cent of consumers believe the bank will succeed in getting inflation back into its target 2 to 3 per cent band in that time.

The fall in the number of jobs surprised financial markets and sent the value of the Australian dollar tumbling from US94.6c to US93.7c.

Futures markets, which on Wednesday were confidently forecasting another two rate rises by the end of the year, now expect there will only be one.

The unemployment rate remained steady at 4.3 per cent only because the fall in jobs was matched by the number of people deciding it was no longer worth looking for work.

Acting Treasurer Lindsay Tanner said there was no room for complacency in the Government's "war" against inflation despite some signs of a slowing economy, including lower employment, a slump in consumer sentiment, lower levels of lending and slower retail sales.

"The economy is running at close to full capacity and the terms of trade continue to improve, largely because of the effect of higher commodity prices, and the global pressure from food and energy prices continues, so it is absolutely critical for us to keep government spending under control," Mr Tanner said.

Economists who, like financial markets, were taken by surprise by the drop in employment, cautioned that, as a result of the Government's anti-inflationary budget cuts, the Australian Bureau of Statistics labour force survey had become less reliable.

The job losses were almost entirely caused by a reduction in the employment of women, and were concentrated in NSW.

This suggests it might bounce back next month.

However, the fall is consistent with weaker business confidence, and declining consumer demand.

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry's director of industry policy, Greg Evans, said the labour force figures confirmed the slowing of the domestic economy and the effect of both official and unofficial interest increases.

"This should give the Reserve Bank further confirmation that it is on track in dealing with inflation," he said. However, the blowout in inflationary expectations is likely to rattle the Reserve Bank.

The minutes of the last bank board meeting said the prospect of inflation remaining above 4 per cent throughout this year "carried the risk that expectations of high ongoing inflation could develop, which could in turn affect price- and wage-setting behaviour".

Economists said that although it was possible that high inflation and low growth could persist, it was unlikely that either Australia or the world economy would repeat the experience of the 1970s, when both unemployment and inflation soared.

Access Economics director Chris Richardson said that in the 1970s, the "misery index" compiled by combining unemployment and inflation rates reached 20 per cent.

Today, with both inflation and unemployment at about 4 per cent, it was less than half that rate.

"Things may not be as good as they were, but they are a long way from the 70s," Mr Richardson said.

how very interesting.

maybe the RBA have decided they can't control imported inflation after all and are happy with a 4% inflation....?

There is one aspect of the loss of 20,000 jobs that I find of great concern:

"Most of the pain was felt by women in part-time work, with 19,600 positions lost." (today's Financial Review, p 15). There was also a segment on one of the Brisbane news bulletins last night (Channel 2 or 9, can't remember) which said that only 400 males had lost jobs compared with the 19,600 women who had lost jobs.

It will be some time until the full details and reasons for the job losses become apparent. However, I wonder how much influence the campaign for paid maternity leave could have had on these figures?

Any ideas?

Cheers
LynnH

"Most of the pain was felt by women in part-time work, with 19,600 positions lost." (today's Financial Review, p 15). There was also a segment on one of the Brisbane news bulletins last night (Channel 2 or 9, can't remember) which said that only 400 males had lost jobs compared with the 19,600 women who had lost jobs.

It will be some time until the full details and reasons for the job losses become apparent. However, I wonder how much influence the campaign for paid maternity leave could have had on these figures?

Any ideas?

Cheers
LynnH

I don't think the emerging job losses are based on discriminatory practices, rather it is the natural outworking of unwinding wages because of economy downturn in certain sectors where there are more women employees, ie part time work in retail, hospitality and tourism. I suspect any more IR hike and then we will really see some drastic consequence for the full-time employees in the manufacturing economy, increasing quite dramatically the chances of recession.

Sorry, but if families can't budget an additional $20/week there is a problem with the financial capabilities of the adults.

That's what I'm saying.

And it's that lack of financial capability that enables the news programs to highlight an increase of 10 cents a litre as a big deal in everyone's lives.

I watch those reports week in and week out and they annoy the hell out of me because they assume that everyone is useless with money and a pathetic rise of 10 cents is gunna make a difference in my life? Get real.

Of course, we all know that it's not a big deal because we on this site are more educated financially and in control. ;)

you'd find most of the job losses are in the casual retail sector - which is mainly female orientated. there are massive sales on everywhere you look at the moment, because no one is spending. the sales people in the stores say work has been extremely quiet for a couple of months now - and they look worried.

also, business spending on plant and equipment was down $20billion dollars for the march 2008 quarter (from the december 2007 quarter). that's a big slab that businesses are "not" investing.

Any ideas?

Cheers
LynnH

My guess is that paid maternity leave has a very big influence on that stat, but you'll never see it written anywhere that it is an influence.

No employer will ever admit to it because they'd be sued to oblivion, but I can tell you as an ex-employer that if I had to choose between a man and a women of equal quals to fill a position, I'd take the man every time because he's gunna cost me less. Sad, but it's reality.

In this country we are VERY fortunate to have the working conditions we enjoy; paid super, rdo's, 4 week's holiday pay (with loading in some instances), sick leave (accrued in some instances), salary packaging and so on and so on.

As a comparison, the USA have 2 weeks holidays, no sick leave until you are sick 5 days in a row - until then you use your annual leave, no super paid by the employer, immediate dismissal without notice and so on.

We in Australia are near the capacity that an employer can afford in my opinion, based on what I had to cop as an employer 10 years ago, and what I see places like the USA paying their employees.

Something like paid maternity leave, whilst it is great for the women concerned and her family, is too big an extra cost for the small and medium sized businesses, and will put them one more step closer to folding up the tent.

Back