Good travel/backpacking bag?

Hi all

I’m looking to do some traveling and now am looking at getting a proper backpacking bag.

Now, I pretty much know nothing about this subject. I don’t even know where to start. So I have a few questions to get started. I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

- What to look for?
- What to look out for?
- What brands to avoid?
- What brands are known for a quality product?
- Is there any bags that have a security compartment for things like laptop, camera etc so they cannot be stolen by cutting the bag. I will probably be traveling to countries with pick pocketing is rife.

Requirements

- Must be largish and able to fit a fair bit of luggage. I’m about 184cm tall if that matters.
- Comfortable with waist strap for longer treks/hikes etc
- Sleeping bag holder available?
- Day bag attachment
- Some sort of security compartment (might not exist?)

I’ve had a look in Kent Street in the Sydney CBD (lots of travel shops along here) and found most of the sales people pretty good. But thought I’d ask the question here before purchasing anything.

Look forward to your thoughts

Grimey

Frank,

Our preferred brand for travel gear is Macpac. All used to be made in NZ but not sure it still is. There packs are great and have the adjustable harness system which is critical plus all the requisite adjustment straps. They also come in goretex so are waterproof. They have a small daypack which is what you want so you don't end up over-packing it and being lopsided backwards when treking with the full pack on and daypack attached. Another bonus is they are sort of distorted so that the bulk of the size is near the waste and much less up top. This ensures most of the weight ends up on your harness belt on your hips and not pulling you on your shoulders. If you're carrying the weight on your shoulders you won't last very long.

About 80kg is a good size, but you can get by with less than this if you need to. Never heard of any with a security device built in but its been a while since I've been in the market for a pack... :)

Cheers,
Michael.

Thanks Michael

I will check them out now.

RE: Security device, I could be dreaming, But I'm about to splash out for a nice laptop and don't want it stolen :)

Last edited:
I got a blackwolf backpack. Due to health (won't bore you) I got one that has wheels on the bottom but can be worn and (and most importantly) packed like a backpack too.

It had the benefit of packing like a backpack so you can fit in heaps
but also can wheel if you want.... 'tho not everyone wants to do that but this info may come in handy to others. :D

Got it from this mob when they used to have another name.

Their site says: "Used Backpacks, Factory Seconds and Demo Stock Our range of stock is vast and continually changing. We usually have some models from all major brands including Macpac, Fairydown, Aiking, Wilderness Equipment and Black Wolf. We are the authorized factory outlet for One Planet, Tatonka, Vango, Black Wolf, and Lowe Alpine. Please contact your nearest Outlet Store to see what stock is available.....Request a Product; If you have a particular Brand or Model which you would like to see if we have available please complete our Back Pack Request Form and we will get back to you with what is available as soon as possible.
"

RE: Security device, I could be dreaming, But I'm about to splash out for a nice laptop and don't want it stolen :)
Frank,

You can buy steel mesh covers for your packs which pack down into a small carry bag. You put these on and padlock them in place before you stowe your gear when flying. Means crew can't get in by just pulling out a stanley knife...

Also, if you're checking out the Macpacs, look at the hybrid designs. I think that's what ours are. They're half way between the dedicated trek pack and the travel pack with daypack. This means you get a lot of the benefits of the dedicated treking pack like good support and carryability but also a few of the travel pack benefits like a removable daypack.

IMHO, you must get a really good brand treking pack with an awesome harness system. Don't go for bells and whistles, just stick to the best harness system and weight distribution you can get. Think of it more as a dedicated backpack and less like a suitcase. Only compromise slightly from this extreme for usability benefits and you'll still get a great all weather pack you can carry for 20-30 clicks in a day and not have sore shoulders.

We've taken our packs all over the world with us. We also have a Macpac minaret two person dome tent, thermarest inflating sleeping mattresses and a trangia cookset so we can go pretty self sufficient when we need to. We can carry our homes on our back and go bush for a week no problem. The added bonus is that they are great travel packs due to the removable daypack for those little outings.

Cheers,
Michael.

Frank,

Best backpacks for my money are Macpac and Fairydown. I've had a Macpac travel pack in the past, but now just use two bushwalking-type packs: a larger Fairydown and a smaller Macpac (smaller but not just a day pack). My wife also has a Macpac.

The Fairydown has been used on a few overseas holidays, a number of bushwalking trips, and plenty of rockclimbing outings. I believe it has a lifetime warranty. The Macpac is newer, but I've used it on a few trips, including a canyon trip.

Day pack attachments are not necessary. You can just buy a separate day pack and stuff it in the main pack when you're not using it. That way you can get the best of both types rather than compromising on one that has both. I have an old Macpac, and my wife has a newer one, but I currently use a Blackwolf which is pretty good too. I think it has a lifetime warranty as well, which I'm going to have to make use of soon as one of the zippers has a dud spot in it.

As for the requirement:

Must be largish and able to fit a fair bit of luggage
Wrong attitude! Think light, think lighter, think lighter again! :D A general rule is pack only what you absolutely can't do without then discard half of it.

If you're planning on carrying camping equipment, like a sleeping bag, tent, and cooking equipment, then you'll need more space, but otherwise you really need very little. I managed to spend 2 months backpacking in Japan with the Fairydown pack (about 70-80 litres) only half full (excluding the ton of photographic equipment I had). I didn't have a sleeping bag though, which can be quite bulky.

And if you do end up with a full big pack, learn how to pack it well. Usually it's more comfortable with lighter stuff at the bottom and heavier stuff higher up, which is why sleeping bag compartments are always at the bottom, but if you're bush-bashing at all, having the weight lower can give better balance. Avoid anything pointy against your back that might dig in as you walk and take care if carrying liquid stove fuel to ensure it doesn't leak (water too for that matter). Try and pack the most commonly-used items in easy-to-get-at places.

Think about waterproofing if you intend to get wet. A good pack will be reasonably shower-proof (or better if it has Goretex), but you can also get rain covers. Pack some plastic bags for wet clothing, etc. And if you intend to get seriously wet, either pack clothing in plastic bags (or special bags you can buy for that purpose) or line the inside of the pack with two or three heavy-duty garden-type plastic bags and tie the top. That's what's commonly used for canyoning so that you can actually float the pack down a river. It's a good idea to keep your valuable documents inside a waterproof bag too.

Don't know about the security aspect. I personally wouldn't carry a laptop while travelling, and I keep camera equipment in a day pack or around my neck (depending on what it is).

For the Kent Street shops, I find Paddy Pallins is good for most things, Mountain Equipment particularly for serious bushwalking and rockclimbing equipment, Mountain Designs similar but typically more expensive, and Kathmandu & Patagonia mainly for clothing. Try to avoid being tempted by the million & one gadgets that all look neat and decidedly useful but you really don't need!

MichaelWhyte said:
About 80kg is a good size
I think you mean 80 litres. 80kg is extremely heavy! :D

Cheers,
GP

Travelling light is the best.

I recently used a 40L Kathmandu duffle bag, total weight about 12kgs, for 3 months in developing countries. But, no trekking or camping, so it made it easier.

GSJ

Hi all

I’m looking to do some traveling and now am looking at getting a proper backpacking bag.

Now, I pretty much know nothing about this subject. I don’t even know where to start. So I have a few questions to get started. I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

- What to look for?
- What to look out for?
- What brands to avoid?
- What brands are known for a quality product?
- Is there any bags that have a security compartment for things like laptop, camera etc so they cannot be stolen by cutting the bag. I will probably be traveling to countries with pick pocketing is rife.

Requirements

- Must be largish and able to fit a fair bit of luggage. I’m about 184cm tall if that matters.
- Comfortable with waist strap for longer treks/hikes etc
- Sleeping bag holder available?
- Day bag attachment
- Some sort of security compartment (might not exist?)

I’ve had a look in Kent Street in the Sydney CBD (lots of travel shops along here) and found most of the sales people pretty good. But thought I’d ask the question here before purchasing anything.

Look forward to your thoughts

Grimey

Hi Frank,

I do lots of backcountry hiking. I prefer Ocean and Earth packs. They have all the tech features and are super comfy. They are an Australian company based in Sussex Inlet and offer very cheap deals from the factory.

As MW has suggested Macpac gear lasts, its great stuff.

Other than Kent street (which has a comprehensive range) try Rays Outdoors on Parramatta Rd Camperdown or Anaconda on Parramatta Rd Auburn.

Most packs will have a sleepbag/mat holder on the pack.

For security there is a stainless steel mesh that slips over the backpack.

Id really question whether you want a backpack for travel. Unless you want to head out with your tent and trangia it is definately not the way to go. Unless Im heading backcountry I travel exclusively with my Dakine Split Roller it rocks.

Sorry all, I've been meaning to update this thread for a couple of days now. Went into Kent Street again on the weekend to find my pack!

I tried on all the Mac Pac gear and while I liked them a lot, I found them all to be very uncomfortable to walk around in. They had very thin shoulder traps and they didn’t have the cross strap that goes over your chest to help relieve shoulder pressure. (I found this to be my biggest single issue).

I also tried an American brand but the name escapes me now, they have an eagle logo. They seemed like pretty good packs but again, I found them uncomfortable. I tried some of the one planet hiking packs which were excellent but the only problem with them was a lack of zippers, so you couldn’t lock the bag at all.

After about 4 hours of trying on about every bag along the strip, I settled for the Mont Zyla. Mont is an Australian brand based in the ACT.

http://www.mont.com.au/index/catalog/product/084

It was pretty much what I’m after (I got the charcoal version) it was very comfortable and had all the features I was after. I got the 85L bag, anything less than that was too small and didn’t sit properly on my back. (I have a long back apparently? Every shop said the same thing!)

Regarding the laptop GP, I’m actually going on a working holiday in the UK first, so I really need the laptop to apply for jobs etc. So I’ll just have to get some sort of security system.

Thanks again for all your advice everyone.

Back