Goodness Gracious- Look at the Stats

I was a bit hasty in saying I liked the old forum better. I think this one is growing on me and it certainly is quicker.
As they say change is always hard but once you make the change you just cannot revert back to the old way.
Thanks Ian for you time and effort.

Only one thing worries me though. I feel that when I look at the stats in the "top 10 User" I am always in the top 10. I am currently no 3 with 18 log ins. I almost feel guilty- like I have no life (but hang on, I do have a life-Property is my life. Ha Ha.
Anyway thanks to Deb L she makes me feel better. She has a total of a whopping 133 logins.
We now know who logs in at 1 in the morning(no names-you all know who you are), we know who is an insomniac.

Rasputin is so far the top poster with 28 and Gee Cee is only 7. Come on Gee Cee only a couple of more posts and you are in the lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

I just talked to Debra_L, and I have a theory as to why it says she has logged in so many times...

She tells me that every time she clicks on a link, it counts as a login (very strange). That to me says that something is not dealing with login 'sessions' particularly well.

Debra also mentioned that she uses cable internet (lucky person). I know that cable-internet providers use a lot of network caching to make the network run as quickly as possible. I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with this.

Does anyone else use cable-internet out there ? It would be interesting to compare.

So... don't automatically think that Debra_L has no life at all... it's just a quirk of the system ;-)

Now, I've just got to find an excuse for myself that explains why I spend so much time online !!!

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1

I've got the same situation as Debra L but I certainly don't have a cable connection from where I'm accessing at the moment. I'm not using a proxy either so it doesn't sound like an ISP cache issue.

Garry

Reply: 1.1.1

Hmm... okay, so maybe that's not it.

I tried playing with lots of the security and session related settings in IE today but couldn't find anything that would replicate the results you are getting.

As for the cache... it is possible for an ISP to force all traffic through a cache without you having to set anything in your browser, so don't just assume you do or don't use one (although it is fairly unlikely).

Okay... so what browser are you people using ? (specific version please).

For example, if you are using IE, go to Help->About Internet Explorer, and then tell us what it says for version.

Just for reference, mine says: 5.50.4522.1800, which means (amongst other things) IE 5.5, Service Pack 1, 128-bit encryption.

Anyway, I think Mr. Somers might want to have a look into this phenomenon, perhaps it is a known thing in certain situations.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1

Well that was with Navigator 4.08. I'm not on that computer at the moment. No probs with the system I'm currently using (IE 5).

I guess it's possible there is a proxy between the other computer and the internet though I doubt it cos the ISP gave me a proxy server to put into the settings, I just don't use it. My IP changes from session to session too when viewed by the host server so unless it's a transparent proxy there isn't one there.

Will a trace route find transparent proxies? If it does I'll give it a go when I get back onto the other machine

Garry

Reply: 1.1.1.2

>Okay... so what browser are
>you people using ? (specific
>version please).

Nestcape Communicator 4.75.

>Anyway, I think Mr. Somers
>might want to have a look into
>this phenomenon, perhaps it is
>a known thing in certain
>situations.

I have already asked Ian about the effectiveness of the Logoff button. Seems it does not do its job!

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques in the old forum)

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

We just connected to cable because we had enough of the very high phone bills every time we connected to our ISP. We calculated that the ISP connection and the phone bills added up to a cable connection.
The cable connection is great and saves us money.

Judy

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1

I have had a lot of problems with Netscape in general, so I don't use it any more. They really dropped the bundle with the v4.x browsers... basically handing the market to Microsoft.

Even though I work for Big Blue, I choose to use MS Internet Explorer because it actually works. When I say it works, I am referring to many things, but most of all "Cascading Style Sheet" (CSS) support. Most good internet sites should now be using CSS for the look and feel of the site, as it has become the standard and "best practices" way of doing things. Unfortunately, Netscape have attrocious support for CSS in their browsers... it's just plain wrong ! Only IE and Opera get it right.

For those who insist on having a choice, try Opera, which is now free as well. They refer to themselves as the fasted browser available, and it is full of neato features. Now that version 5 is out, I will have to try it again and see if I should swap from IE. (www.opera.com)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1

I totally agree about Navigator

I do a bit of web development for an Extranet site. Luckily for me almost 100% of the website visitors are IE users, so I gave up on designing sites to look good on Navigator.

But from a user point of view I prefer the way the options, bookmarks etc are handled in Navigator. I particularly liked the older versions of Nav where it was possible to have a few windows open, some with auto load images on and some off.

On another note, has anyone tried posting to this site using email? Does it turn up as an anonymous post?

Garry

Reply: 1.1.1.3

Hi Sim'

I'm using Explorer 4.72.3612.1713. This is about a new as my work gets. No problems with it at all. I do notice this new format is a lot faster loading than the old format. I like the fact I can just read new updates too.

Reply: 1.1.1.3.1

The version of Internet Explorer I am using is 5.20.4134.0100. I am also running Windows ME.

When I log on from work under Explorer version 5.00.2614.3500 and Windows 98 I don't have the same problem (it doesn't add onto my logon count when I click on other links).

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1.1

Yes I have posted to this site using reply on the email. No it doesn't turn
up as an anonymous post, it shows name and email address. Also I have the
posts sent to me by email so I can read them all offline and reply at my
leisure!

Reply: 1.1.1.3.1.1

Got to wonder why the stats are there in the first place , what does it all mean , big brother is watching you !!!!

Back