Goods & Services that Have Risen in Price Due to The Carbon Tax

My strata fees have gone from $375 a quarter to $510 a quarter over the last couple of years. Nothing to do with Carbon Tax. Sounds to me like your Strata Manager is using a convenient scapegoat to increase fees and you are just being a big girl's blouse wearing sook.

Our strata manager doesn't need a scapegoat to increase the fees, the red headed puppet from Canberra is doing a good enough job herself. Our strata manager provides us with a proposed budget spreadsheet which outlines where the expenses are to go for the following year, this together with the letter from the electricity and gas supply informing the manager to prepare for the expected increase due to the Carbon Tax Scam

Our water rates bills just arrived and they have specifically itemised on each bill what the increase has been due to the Carbon Tax.

It has increased the total bill by $ 250.

This is the first of many to come....I have no doubt.

We haven't received a cent of compensation.

The Carbon Tax has to go.

Our water rates bills just arrived and they have specifically itemised on each bill what the increase has been due to the Carbon Tax.

It has increased the total bill by $ 250.

How big was the total bill Dazz, if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: BTW, surely your tenants will be paying this?

BTW, in WA Colin Barnett says:

"It’s just a tax which will increase power prices by nine per cent, gas 4.2 per cent and water by 0.8 per cent," Mr Barnett said.

This, of course, compares with his own government's record in these areas which has, in its first term,

slugged WA households with 62 per cent increases in electricity, gas by 57 per cent and water by 48 per cent

All of which were entirely justified increases IMO but I also think it's worth keeping things in context...

BTW, in WA Colin Barnett says:

This, of course, compares with his own government's record in these areas which has, in its first term,

All of which were entirely justified increases IMO but I also think it's worth keeping things in context...

this is an abuse of statistics tho, you have aggregated annual CPI and other increases and made a comparison. It's like saying the GST is nothing compared to the price of widgets that has gone up 150% since it was introduced (and if this held true it could be abolished due to its immateriality)

this is an abuse of statistics tho, you have aggregated annual CPI and other increases and made a comparison. It's like saying the GST is nothing compared to the price of widgets that has gone up 150% since it was introduced (and if this held true it could be abolished due to its immateriality)

Not really. Both the increase in prices due to the CT and the increase in utility prices are essentially "one-off" events - neither are annual increases. There wasn't an annual increase in utilities for any of the prior ten years. Sure, you can take a few year's CPI off the utility number if you like but it doesn't change the story much.

And most people (other than ourselves) get compensated for the carbon tax. No-one gets compensated for the utility charge increases though. And WA remains the most indebted state govt in Australia, with net debt growing under Barnett. I'm a supporter of his, especially when compared to the alternative, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement...

My strata fees in an apartment complex where I own an IP have increased by $75 per quarter as a direct result of the Carbon Tax, due to the communal lighting and communal gas, the Strata Manager
The Strata manager is just pushing their own political agenda, there is no way the carbon tax costs $300 per year per apartment for community lighting.

...and it's been shown in the Nordic countries (Denmark I think) that wind power can never be base-load power because it is simply too unreliable.

Holland is one such place which is heavily reliant on wind power, but when the wind drops they just plug their extension cord into France's nuclear grid. I don't see the day we'll be able to plug into PNG's excess generation.

One price rise you've missed though is cleansing. The cost to get a skip dumped has risen a couple of hundred in Sydney and councils have been hit hard so all their fees will rise.

But to concentrate on personal costs is an error. It has been designed to limit those, but living in a town with a nickel, zinc and a copper refinery [closing down] you learn how these people [exporters] are being hit. Australia also has a big aluminium industry [also an export earner] which will suffer.

In six month's time some of your tenants may not just be able to pay the extra rent, but even the rent itself because of job losses.

BTW To say wind can become a base load power supplier is about as logical as saying a hamster wheel can. At least you can whip the hamster. :D

Too right. Community lighting is probably 1%-2% of the bill for the whole block. More anti Labor/CT scaremongering.

The Strata manager is just pushing their own political agenda, there is no way the carbon tax costs $300 per year per apartment for community lighting.

My strata fees in an apartment complex where I own an IP have increased by $75 per quarter as a direct result of the Carbon Tax, due to the communal lighting and communal gas,

The apartment complex has community gas for HWS & cooktops

Too right. Community lighting is probably 1%-2% of the bill for the whole block. More anti Labor/CT scaremongering.

My strata fees in an apartment complex where I own an IP have increased by $75 per quarter as a direct result of the Carbon Tax, due to the communal lighting and communal gas,

Just because the strata fee's increasing by $75 per quarter as a direct result of The Carbon Tax dont equate to what Treasury have modeled, doesn't make this scaremongering, it's reality and an extra expense that I have as of July 1 as a direct result of the Carbon Tax. Just one extra expense of many that I will have to pay, without compensation.

You might say, just put the rent up, then once the rent goes up, so does the percentage I pay + GST to the agent, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Doesn't sound right. I'd ask for proof of the increase.

Just because the strata fee's increasing by $75 per quarter as a direct result of The Carbon Tax dont equate to what Treasury have modeled, doesn't make this scaremongering, it's reality and an extra expense that I have as of July 1 as a direct result of the Carbon Tax. Just one extra expense of many that I will have to pay, without compensation.

You might say, just put the rent up, then once the rent goes up, so does the percentage I pay + GST to the agent, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Thats unusual. Wouldnt owners pay for their own HW & cooktop gas?

No, not in this building. The building has communal gas, Solar takes care of the majority of the heating of the water, with gas back up if needed. Shared gas cook tops. The gas is paid within the strata fee's.

Doesn't sound right. I'd ask for proof of the increase.

The increase was suggested from the utility providers to the Strata Manager to account for as a result of the anticipated increases because of the Carbon Tax, calculated on our previous usage.

42 apartments in the group.

My point is thought, if every bill I pay increases I'm going to be so worse off as of July 1 because of the Carbon Tax, this is what makes me angry.

I find it hard to believe that I'll only be worse off by $300 as the government keeps telling me. I guess this is only if I don't have investment properties, I don't heat or cool my home or I don't run a business.....

The increase was suggested from the utility providers to the Strata Manager to account for as a result of the anticipated increases because of the Carbon Tax, calculated on our previous usage.

My point is thought, if every bill I pay increases I'm going to be so worse off as of July 1 because of the Carbon Tax, this is what makes me angry.

I find it hard to believe that I'll only be worse off by $300 as the government keeps telling me. I guess this is only if I don't have investment properties, I don't heat or cool my home or I don't run a business.....

In South Australia we are getting an 18% increase in electricity charges. Only a quarter of that increase is as a direct result of the carbon tax.
The bulk of the increase is to pay for those people who took advantage of the generous feed in tariffs for solar pv installations on their homes and the small scale renewable energy certificates associated with solar hot water and wind power.
Additionally the owners of the transmission lines are spending money to ostensibly upgrade the wires to cope with peak load demands at certain times of the year brought about by home owners installing those cheap airconditioners that are now available.
The stupid thing is that the wholesale cost of electricity has declined of late but we are paying more because of the way prices are determined.
Perhaps the Government needs to bring out the big stick and tell suppliers what to do.
I see Newman in QLD was able to get Origin energy to back down on their proposed price increases by threatening Origin with economic loss by Government contract withdrawal.

Who is/are the utility provider(s)?

Back